Karbonn Mobile A9 (Android 2.3.6)

Is it worth ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

prasad12ka4

As the name says this thread is for Karbonn Mobile A9

Karbonn-a9.jpg

Looking at the spec's this mobile sure does have some potential.

here are a few reference links :

Downloads from official Site:
http://www.karbonnmobiles.com/download.php

-> PC Suite
-> Manuals
-> Drivers

Drivers (credits: sheraz1015)
http://www.4shared.com/get/Hd31QPKe/HK11-VB717-27.html

PC Suite (credits: mallihm2002)
http://www.moborobo.com/index.html

Original Drivers from Karbonn Support (ADB/Teather/etc) (credits: lvgandhi)
http://www.4shared.com/zip/plFWpHy9/driver.html

This is a china re branded Set known by name K-Touch W680 -- (credit: rusty4ever)

China official Site : Games and apps for download --
http://www.k-touch.cn/
http://deviceatlas.com/node/3429209

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Issues/Solutions:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Reboot issue:
Set the screen time out to manual or 30 mins (most preferred you put your mob on standby yourself) this will solve the reboot issue.

Settings > display > Timeout > 30 Mins or MAX what is there.

2. Proximity Sensor Issue (Screen Off Issue)

--> Solution 1 (credit:lxkarthi)

1) You can disable the proximity sensor. After you attend the call, you press lock button to lock the screen. After the call ends, Press Lock button again.
2) Hit volume up or down and it should turn your screen on while in a call.
3) Try Screebl Lite app.
4) Try this App and tell whether Proximity Sensor is the actual problem or not
proximity-screen-off

-> Solution 2 (credit: pankmohan)

just remove screen guard from proximity sensor your problem will solved
--> Solution 3 (credit: eshansinharay)

Install ProximityScreenOff from market

--> Solution 4 (credit:dinesh2222)

To remove this problem you have to reset your proximity sensor by dialing *#36#.
You will see all hardware of your set,now find proximity sensor and click on it.
After that you will see below a word in chineese, click on it to reset your sensor.
It will surely remove the problem of your sensor.

--> Solution 5 (credit:avinash1671987)

1.When the screen goes blank connecting to charger brings it back
2.Check the option "pressing power button ends the call" the frequency of the problem decreases.
Settings>Accesibility>

3. GPRS/Data only starts after reset
Toggle airplane mode once.

4. Caller ID identification
Method 1:
You may need to save the number in +91 format, as its a dual sim it has that functionality to recognize the contact.

5. Contacts Disappearing after Skype installation (credit: XandJ)
The google contacts are not displayed in the contact list but remember that the contacts are NOT deleted they are only NOT displayed.

You need to change the display settings of contacts to see the google contacts.

In Contacts->Settings->More->Display Options->(Select google contacts).

Development
Note: Beyond this point at your own RISK

Fastboot (credit:clavicle)

-switch off
-press vol up and power on key together (it takes pretty long time)
-You will enter green screen, but need to press the power key again
-Now you will enter the red screen.
-There on your android will appear and all the options too.
-For selecting use the volume up and down keys, but to select an entry you need to press the power on key for a little longer.

Power on and vol down key will probably lead you to download mode.

Rooting / Unrooting : (Credit : fonehacker)

Note: Above is verified. Do it at your own risk

Transfer all Application to SD Card NO ROOT

CWM touch recovery for A9 (chinese)
(credit: fonehacker)

[Windows][Tool] Android AIO Flasher 0.91 (adb,Fastboot,bootanimation,etc.) (credit: fonehacker)

Modded Settings.apk (credit: CrashOverride1995)

Stock Messaging app which can be used in landscape mode (Credit : Kinghacker)

[ROM]MIUI

[ROM] Amagatarai Android 2.3.7 optimization streamline ROM has ROOT

[ROM] Stock ROMs / Drivers (Karbonn Official)

[ROM] BM 4.0 (Credit: Kinghacker)

Other Karbonn A9 related important threads:

Thread Rules:
1. No Argument
2. No hate speech
3. No Abuse
4. Respect other members
5. New members to be helped and guided
6. Search before posting
7. Test before posting any ROM,Tweak,Patch,MOD,etc
8. For the rest of rules click HERE

Last edited:

prasad12ka4

A User Review

Ajay GovindMay 24, 2012 3:15 AM

A9 is a great phone. I am using it for past one week. Bought it from local store in Mumbai for Rs. 9200. So far..No problem...everything is great.
Pros:
- Camera 5MP produces great pictures, even in the dark. You can record video with the flash on in the dark. Quality is decent.
- Front camera is good to have
- Processor 1GHz...It has reasonable speed.
- Android 2.3 (Gingerbread). Many software/apps to download from Google Play Apps. Plays Adobe flash, pdf, Office, Hindi text, Siri, Voice assistant.
- Flashlight
- Screen resolution and body quality is good.
- Tethering, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth works fine...
- Has Accelerometer.
- GPS Maps

Cons:
- Battery, though 1600mah (larger than most Smartphones in the market), is still weak to support features. It drains out within 7-8 hours..I guess that is with every phone.
- PC suite, manuals, Phone accessories (such as Scratch Gurad, Case, Cover, etc) are not available yet..
- Display goes blank when calling or receiving calls. You have to press power button to wake up the screen. (After investigating, I found, this problem exist in almost all smartphones). May need to install Screebl.
- No Gyroscope. Compass will not work..
- Sound quality is fair (could have been better & louder), but sometimes it seems Mono when loud, due to speakers at the back of handset.
- Qwerty keypad during calls & SMS does not rotate to landscape by default...Need to install Go SMS & other Go Apps to make it work.
- Available only in White colour.
- Few service centers.

Overall, its a great buy. It blows off all the phones in the market with the similar specs...specially in Price...Any other phone with this spec would cost around 14k. But this one comes for Rs. 8999 from Infibeam. Adexmart show Rs. 8590 but is out of stock there.

I would recommend everyone who wants to buy this phone. Yes..it is not branded like Nokia, Samsumg, HTC, but looks like a solid phone having acceptable quality & performance. I am sure Karbonn will try to improve their support and will give tough competition to other phones..just like Micromax already has..

Hope this helps others in their buying decisions.

From http://techandwe.blogspot.in/2012/05/karbonn-a9-review-price-specification.html :rolleyes:

Reactions: agovind

rusty4ever

Feb 9, 2010
PUNE
I also bought this phone replacing my spice mi350, karbonn A9 its better phone in its league,much better than sammy's galaxy y duos in every aspect. battery life seems good to me,15hrs with both sim active normal use still 41% remaining...my rooted custom rom spice mi350 used to last for 2 days .A9 lacks options for managing dual sim calls, messages. even go sms pro dont detects it as dual sim, which I miss. but skype with video call is supported, besides that everything is fine. I would recommend this phone!!

Reactions: prasad12ka4

prasad12ka4

I also bought this phone replacing my spice mi350, karbonn A9 its better phone in its league,much better than sammy's galaxy y duos in every aspect. battery life seems good to me,15hrs with both sim active normal use still 41% remaining...my rooted custom rom spice mi350 used to last for 2 days .A9 lacks options for managing dual sim calls, messages. even go sms pro dont detects it as dual sim, which I miss. but skype with video call is supported, besides that everything is fine. I would recommend this phone!!
This fone has spec's of the mobiles in 15k to 17k range.
Galaxy ACE or ACE+ lacks many features this mobile has.

How is the stock launcher and touch, as some say touch is not very sensitive? is it true?

Reactions: devilasad

lxkarthi

May 27, 2012
Chennai
Karbonn A9 Support

1) how is the touch sensitivity? is it not good? is it worse than samsung ace / galaxy Y ? if it is, please post here.

2) How is PC software support for this Phone? Can we write our own ROMs into this phone? Are ROM images available online/from service store for free??

I am planning to buy this mobile. people who bought this mobile, please comment.
your comment will be a great value for us.
Thanks. :)

prasad12ka4

1) how is the touch sensitivity? is it not good? is it worse than samsung ace / galaxy Y ? if it is, please post here.

2) How is PC software support for this Phone? Can we write our own ROMs into this phone? Are ROM images available online/from service store for free??

I am planning to buy this mobile. people who bought this mobile, please comment.
your comment will be a great value for us.
Thanks. :)

we need someone to develop a CM7 for this mobile
it has so much potential

Sent from my Dell Venue using xda premium

lxkarthi

May 27, 2012
Chennai
I will develop

I will develop, if i get my answers..
How is touch sensitivity in this mobile?
and
Do we get all necessary softwares with the mobile?
or get them free at service center?
(I need PC suite, ROM backup software & other related software to develop CUSTOM ROMs for this mobile).

rusty4ever

Feb 9, 2010
PUNE
I will develop, if i get my answers..
How is touch sensitivity in this mobile?
and
Do we get all necessary softwares with the mobile?
or get them free at service center?
(I need PC suite, ROM backup software & other related software to develop CUSTOM ROMs for this mobile).

touch sensitivity is decent & acceptable, one of my friend got galaxy y duos. I found A9 display, reso. and touch superior to Y duos. I think stock Rom is not well cooked, a bit unstable at times. another of my friend who bought this phone yesterday after looking mine has random reboots 2-3 times since purchase(this may be due to some app). overall build quality is very decent. I may arrange stock rom if you can mod that. as this phone has potential if paired with good rom. this is phone from Chinese manufacturer called K-Touch & model may be W680. we dont get anything like pc suite, drivers etc with it.
I would suggest if you like it go for it!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: snandan.gupta

prasad12ka4

Reboot Issue

touch sensitivity is decent & acceptable, one of my friend got galaxy y duos. I found A9 display, reso. and touch superior to Y duos. I think stock Rom is not well cooked, a bit unstable at times. another of my friend who bought this phone yesterday after looking mine has random reboots 2-3 times since purchase(this may be due to some app). overall build quality is very decent. I may arrange stock rom if you can mod that. as this phone has potential if paired with good rom. this is phone from Chinese manufacturer called K-Touch & model may be W680. we dont get anything like pc suite, drivers etc with it.

Excellent info on this.
Thats what we wanted the original name of the mobile.

As for the reboot issue, I had the same in my A8
This is how I solved it--

The screen time out that we set in the mobile to put the mobile on standby after a certain period. Make it to manual or 30 mins (most preferred you put your mob on standby yourself) this will solve the reboot issue.

Settings>display>Timeout> 30 Mins or MAX what is there.

It worked for me, but you can try and revert.
Its a cooked ROM so chances are it will work.:D

prasad12ka4

Last edited:

lxkarthi

May 27, 2012
Chennai
PC sync for Android

I found this software from k-Touch Website.
PC Sync for Android
kwebstore.k-touch.cn/d/PC%20Sync%20for%20Android/PC%20Sync%20for%20Android.rar

But the software is in Chinese :(

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Thanks for the info. Please make stock ROM available.

selanthiraiyan

May 11, 2012
Display goes blank after making or receiving calls

Bought this phone via Infibeam. Display goes blank everything I make and receive calls. I guess proximity sensor fails to work. I cant turn on the screen even if I press the power button. I have to restart the phone to make it work. Dono its a problem with that particular device. Sent the phone for replacement. Will update you guys once I get a new phone.

Another one person seem to have the same problem as mine. Found a post in android.stackexchange

Any solutions guys??? Thanks

macinzurich

May 1, 2011
Screen goes blank while making calls and receiving calls

I got the same problem with Karbonn A9 and I have to restart my phone with Battery removal 2 to 3 times in a day. Any solution guys?

Thanks

Bought this phone via Infibeam. Display goes blank everything I make and receive calls. I guess proximity sensor fails to work. I cant turn on the screen even if I press the power button. I have to restart the phone to make it work. Dono its a problem with that particular device. Sent the phone for replacement. Will update you guys once I get a new phone.

Another one person seem to have the same problem as mine. Found a post in android.stackexchange

lxkarthi

May 27, 2012
Chennai
Proximity Problem Suggestion

Can't we disable the Proximity sensor option in Karbonn A9? (please search for such settings in phone )

Some tips i got from internet:
1) You can disable the proximity sensor. After you attend the call, you press lock button to lock the screen. After the call ends, Press Lock button again.
2)Hit volume up or down and it should turn your screen on while in a call? Quick fix maybe..
3) Some people asked to try Screebl Lite app.

Try this App and tell whether Proximity Sensor is the actual problem or not!!
proximity-screen-off

pankmohan

Apr 22, 2012
Nashik
Display blank Solution

bro i also purchase A9 today and having same problem but if you just remove screen guard from proximity sensor your problem will 200% get solved

vimi93

Oct 7, 2011
DNH UT
I ordered one from infibin.com
@8490
Lets hope I will. Get delivery

Sent from my FIH-FB0 using xda premium

eshansinharay

Dec 7, 2011
Kolkata
OnePlus 7T
My solution may helpfull for you

I have bought this phone yestarday, everything is ok but one serious problem disturbed me continously is display goes blank during call, i have googled for this problem and found a solution. Install ProximityScreenOff from market (its free) today evening, since then i havn't faced screen blank issue. If my solution helps you please hit thanks button. :cool:

Top Liked Posts