Cable

Search This thread

bosert

Jun 8, 2011
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
I'd like to buy a new and extra cable (not the charger) to connect my device to my computer and charge it then as well.

Apparently this kind of cable, micro data usb, seems to be universal. Is it really so as I don't want to damage it if I buy a generic cable.

Any help me would be great :)

atonz

Jul 8, 2012
I was also wondering this because I would like to buy a much longer cable since my power outlet is far from my bedside table.

SonicSamZ

Oct 10, 2010
The cables are universal, so any length would work for charging (data transfer not guaranteed).

Ssscrudddy

Jul 16, 2012
Northampton
Actually they are not that universal. While I dont have any technical specs there are quite large differences.

eg a PC USB slot will only deliver 500 mA UNLESS certain pins are connected that allows the connected device to tell the PC that it can take more than 500 mA. They will look the same but 1 cable will only deliver 500 mA & a different cable could deliver 1000 mA.

Another cable might be wired up for delivering power only from a USB slot or from the wall adapter, but at the same time not be able to do any data transfer.

Feb 1, 2013
USB cables

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but there is some unclear info in here that I thought I could clear up:

Micro-USB cables are universal in the sense that they will all fit and to one degree or another charge your phone. The combination of the charger and the cable, however can yield wildly different charge rates. If you want fast charging:

1. Look at the small print on your wall charger and see what current level it will output. You're looking for something 1 amp or higher. Some chargers will say something like 500ma, which is 500 milliamps or half an amp, and that's slower.
2. Consider buying a special "charging" cable. These cables use the USB power that would normally be used for data to charge the battery faster, and thus they won't work as data cables when plugged into your computer. Here's an example of a charging cable from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-U...1367955673&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+charging+cable

Basically what you want to look for on your One V is in the power settings for the phone it should say "Charging (AC)" when you plug it in and *not* "Charging (USB)". With the AC setting you know you're getting as much charging power as you can get.

Last edited:

martijn99

Mar 23, 2013
hahaha i because of the short lenght of original cable and it makes an irritating noisy sound xD

Sent from my One V using xda premium

zombiegirl2010

May 3, 2013
hahaha i because of the short lenght of original cable and it makes an irritating noisy sound xD

Sent from my One V using xda premium
Yeah, I don't even use my HTC cable anymore. I originally stopped using it because I dropped my phone while it was plugged into it and it bent the connector. However, I HATED how short it was!! Then, I noticed that my Blackberry cable had the same end on it, and I've been using that for USB tethering, and I use my Samsung bluetooth earpiece charger to just charge my One V. lol

Oh, and I use the HTC USB to wall socket adapter to plug in my ecig. XD

Last edited:

justjoeo

Jun 25, 2013
Yeah, I don't even use my HTC cable anymore. I originally stopped using it because I dropped my phone while it was plugged into it and it bent the connector. However, I HATED how short it was!! Then, I noticed that my Blackberry cable had the same end on it, and I've been using that for USB tethering, and I use my Samsung bluetooth earpiece charger to just charge my One V. lol

Oh, and I use the HTC USB to wall socket adapter to plug in my ecig. XD

I unintentionally bought some blackberry ones to have in my car, at my PC, at work, etc and they work great for me. I am just really careful about the wall adapter output because using my dad's tablet charger with micro usb killed my wife's optimus t.