[TIPS] Save RAM with HTC Sense UPDATE 6/3/11

Search This thread

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
Hi,
I am going to make a big thread for tips and tricks on saving RAM on HTC Sense/TouchFlo3D. Unless you have a HD2; you will experience a low amount of RAM when running Sense. It simply uses alot of resources. Here I have compiled my own list of tweaks I have found! If you have any, please add them to this thread!

1) Deactivate Unnecessary Tabs - Each Tab takes up it's own amount of RAM. I find deactivating them makes sense faster, and uses less RAM

Disable the Settings tab:
\HKLM\SOFTWARE\HTC\Manila\Configuration\*
Search for the folder with the number that's the settings page (PageName = Manila:/settings.page).
Change Enable from 1 to 0

Disable the unused services:
\\HKLM\SOFTWARE\HTC\Manila\Services\*
- AppointmentService
- AudioManagerService
- CameraAlbumService
- Contacts
- HomeService
- LauncherService
- Messaging
- SettingService (be sure to first disable the tab)
- TwitterService
- WeatherService
- WorldClockService
- YgosrvService (Stock tab)

Change the service.dll to something like serviceXXX.XXX

How To use them:
Try them not all at once, disable a service and test Sense (restart/disable, enable on homescreen)
Example: For some reason if you rename AudioManagerService the homescreen doesn't work and sense won't start.

2) Deactivate HTC Volume Control - Saves you 2mb of RAM, Added at end of post

3) Deactivate Manilla Dialer - Saves 10mb RAM,
Delete this two RegKeys
REG KEY Registry\HKLM\SECURITY\PHONE\SKIN\
REG KEY Registry\HKLM\SECURITY\PHONE\SmartDial\
You will have the default WM dialer!
Warning: Back up your Reg keys if you want to get it back!

4) Kill AlbumSearcher.exe and AudioSearcher.exe - Saves up to 6mb RAM
After using Music/Photo Tabs, use MMTaskmanager (attached to end of post) and kill these .exes. Don't worry, they won't cause any damage to your phone.

5) Don't Use Landscape Mode - using Landscape mode has to load up all the individual tabs again and takes more RAM up. [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HTC\Manila]
"EnableLandscape"="true" - Change ''true'' to ''false''

6) Try not to use Manilla Mods! - a pretty self-explanatory one, but i tend not to use these as they make the device unusable for me and freeze my phone up alot. They are great apps though!(e.g - Co0kie's Home Tab) They were built in mind for the HD2 with 576mb RAM. They are nice UI's but would you rather have more RAM to run more apps?

9) Disable Start-Menu in WM6.5.x - Saves 10-25mb RAM
Disable it but install Miro's startmenu replacement OR Kenia1234 Start-Menu Replacement which uses no RAM!

10) Disable WM6.5.x Lock Screen - Saves 5mb RAM
Uses the default WM6.1 lock screen which uses no RAM. Start > Settings > Lock > Windows Classic

11) Disable HTC Notification Manager - Saves 4mb RAM:
HKLM\Services\NotificationManager\Flags = 4

12) Disable HTC Notifications Enhancer :
HKLM\System\Shell\Notification\OEM\UseDefaultUI = 1
or
Remove HKLM\System\Shell\Notification\OEM

13) Disable HTC Menu :
HKLM\System\GWE\Menu\CUIHandler = 0

14) Disable HTC Date Picker :
Remove the key : HKLM\System\GWE\Commctrl\CustomDateTimeCtrl

15) Disable HTC Task Icons (battery, signal level...) & Pin Dialer :
Remove the key : HKLM\Security\ResOver\Bitmaps

16) Use 'lighter' ROMs - Using WM6.1 uses less resources than WM6.5. I find using WM6.1 I have more RAM, speed and better benchmark performances than WM6.5. I use this on my TG01. (used to on Touch HD)

17) Close programs when not in use! :p - Cannot believe I left this out in the other updates, but this is the most obvious one! Close apps when you really don't need them.

18) Use Standard WM Taskbars. i was using some custom Taskbars a few months back. Although they look great, I foud out they take up RAM. I decided to go back to the standard WM taskbar. 2mb RAM saved.

19) Disable Sense Temporarily When Running Heavy Apps - I found out that Opera Mobile 10 takes up a whooping 50mb RAM in use! With Sense + Opera running I have a mere 9Mb RAM to play with. So a simple tip, disable Sense in the today settings or 'mskips Today Screen Switcher' when using opera. When you finish browsing, simply enable it again. This also increases battery performance.

More to come... If you have any, please post in this thread!
NB: These could also potentially increase battery performance! Feel free to share your experiences in the thread ;)

Check out post 2 for the warnings and problems... If in doubt, don't use them! :p

P.S- If you use these, please hit the Thanks Button, it will be much appreciated!

Attachments

• MMTaskManager2.2.cab
    175.3 KB · Views: 532
  • Remove-Htcvolume-by-HallengreeN.cab
    3 KB · Views: 475
  • DeviceLock.zip
    70.3 KB · Views: 470
  • miROM_MMLauncher_Mod_Startmenu_Replacement.cab
    287.2 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
Credits And Reference

Credits
First Of all, I would like to thank all the devs who made/discovered these tweaks. (however I found a few too! :p) I have simply compiled them.

Thanks to contributors: bigchrizzieboy, cjbarth

Thanks to the devs: Kenia1234, Mirolg, Matt Armstrong, HallengreeN, maximusmobile, meltwater Also to orb3000 for putting this on the XDA portal to let users know! (you can also feature this update if you wish!)

Any others I have forgot, please let me know!

References
Thanks to Joe Bleau for the idea of posting links to the original threads, for extra support for individual encounters.

[MOD][Kenia Sense StartMenu][WVGA Only]

[miROM_APP] StartMenuReplacement (full Prog + Settingsmenu) + 10 MB free RAM back

[APP] MMTaskManager 2.3 - Full task manager (WM 6.5, 6.5.x)

Also feel free to use these and report them back in the thread; but I take no responsibility if you end up spoiling your phone! (most unlikely though - can be easily rectified worst case scenario is a hard reset - but just in case :p)
Removing the startmenu will mean you can't access your programs.. make sure you have sense enabled and know what you are doing! Always have a backup

Last edited:

bigchrizzieboy

Sep 30, 2007
Near Amsterdam
I like this post, what I also do

First off all, thanks :)
Didn't know all of them.
Hope to see all the REG-tweaks to be complete so I can speed up my "old" Touch Pro 2

Disable the setting tab:
\\HKLM\SOFTWARE\HTC\Manila\Configuration\*
search for the folder with the number that's the settings page (PageName = Manila:/settings.page).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- AppointmentService
- AudioManagerService
- CameraAlbumService
- contacts
- HomeService
- LauncherService
- messaging
- TwitterService
- WeatherService
- WorldClockService

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOW TO use them:
Try them not all at once, disable an service and test Sense (restart/disable, enable on homescreen)
example: For some reason if you rename AudioManagerService the homescreen doesn't work and sense won't start.
I only rename the YgosrvService and SettingService (don't use them).

Last edited:

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
Didn't know all of them.
Hope to see all the REG-tweaks to be complete so I can speed up my "old" Touch Pro 2

Disable the setting tab:
search for the folder with the number that's the settings page (PageName = Manila:/settings.page).

- AppointmentService
- AudioManagerService
- CameraAlbumService
- contacts
- HomeService
- LauncherService
- messaging
- TwitterService
- WeatherService
- WorldClockService

HOW TO use them:
Try them not all at once, disable an service and test Sense (restart/disable, enable on homescreen)
example: For some reason if you rename AudioManagerService the homescreen doesn't work and sense won't start.

Thanks mate! I will add them to the original post when i get home later today (thanks for the thanks too!)

Reactions: RG1F

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
Forgot to say, those using Kenia1234 Startmenu will find no RAM gain. you have to disable wm start menu first! there is a cab called Arto Start Menu disabler, search for that, instsll (make sure sense is enabled or you cant get to your phone upon reboot!) install Kenias mod, reboot. And you should have 10Mb+ Extra RAM! Will add Artos mod soon, along woth other tweaks ;)

Blauvster

Jan 14, 2008
I had no idea Windows Start Menu ate up so much RAM... Looks like I will be using this tip. I recommend MMAppLaunch. It is currently taking up 3.42MBs of RAM on my Touch Pro 2.

bigchrizzieboy

Sep 30, 2007
Near Amsterdam
please update this great thread

Hi,

Please try to update the REG tweaks as I want to use them :eek:
Some usefull Manila Stuff

DIRECT LINKS TO TABS:
\windows\manila.exe --switchtopage home.page
Instead of "home.page" you can use:
•messaging.page
•weather.page
•people.page
•email.page
•album.page
•music.page
•internet.page
•settings.page
•programs.page
•callhistory.page

REMAP MANILA SOFTKEYS:
HKLM/Software/HTC/manila/HomeLSKPath
which is the left softkey
And
HKLM/Software/HTC/manila/HomeRSKPath, which is the right softkey.
If you change these with the location of the programs you want to link to, and simultaneous change the names:
HKLM/Software/HTC/manila/HomeLSKText = Left softkey text
And
HKLM/Software/HTC/manila/HomeRSKText = Right softkey text.

Example:
HKLM/Software/HTC/manila/HomeLSKPath: "\windows\manila.exe"
HKLM/Software/HTC/manila/HomeLSKText: "E-Mail"
HKLM/Software/HTC/manila/HomeLSKArguments: "--switchtopage email.page"

You can use any other program (I've mapped a taskmanager to the Left Softkey)

Reactions: zachin2036

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
Hi,

Please try to update the REG tweaks as I want to use them :eek:
Some usefull Manila Stuff

DIRECT LINKS TO TABS:
\windows\manila.exe --switchtopage home.page
Instead of "home.page" you can use:
•messaging.page
•weather.page
•people.page
•email.page
•album.page
•music.page
•internet.page
•settings.page
•programs.page
•callhistory.page

REMAP MANILA SOFTKEYS:
HKLM/Software/HTC/manila/HomeLSKPath
which is the left softkey
And
HKLM/Software/HTC/manila/HomeRSKPath, which is the right softkey.
If you change these with the location of the programs you want to link to, and simultaneous change the names:
HKLM/Software/HTC/manila/HomeLSKText = Left softkey text
And
HKLM/Software/HTC/manila/HomeRSKText = Right softkey text.

Example:
HKLM/Software/HTC/manila/HomeLSKPath: "\windows\manila.exe"
HKLM/Software/HTC/manila/HomeLSKText: "E-Mail"
HKLM/Software/HTC/manila/HomeLSKArguments: "--switchtopage email.page"

You can use any other program (I've mapped a taskmanager to the Left Softkey)

yes, sorry about that mate, i will update this weekend or tommorow when i get my pc back, thanks for you contribution guys, that Home Softkey assignment - thanks i forgot about that,
i have more to add soon aswell,! ;)

Reactions: lepermessiah

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
P.s - i will reconstuct the whole layout; i will separate the tweaks into categories,
Saving RAM
General Tips And Tweaks
Mods

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
Thanks for updating :cool:
Take your time...

real sorry man... havent had my pc in days! ive only had my tab so i was online on xda.
anyway i have them here:
- Disable HTC Notification Manager :

- Disable HTC Notifications Enhancer :
or

- Disable HTC Menu :

- Disable HTC Date Picker :

- Disable HTC Task Icons (battery, signal level...) & Pin Dialer :

I will update more and add to first post soon. i have put these down because you wanted to these ones?

Anyway sorry for the delay guys!

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
Also i will try to find the landscape tweak.. but i dont think you will find it useful anyway as your device needs to be ussed in landscape. i will still try and find it and let others know :)
Im having some problems as i dont have sense 2.5 atm.. i got the old touchflo

segadc

Jan 14, 2007
So I exported the registry keys for the dialer skin just in case I didn't like it. Reminds me of my old XV6800 so I want to go back. How can I put them back in the registry? Thanks!

meltwater

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2009
1) Deactivate Unnecessary Tabs - Each Tab takes up it's own amount of RAM. I find deactivating them makes sense faster, and uses less RAM

Have you noticed if there is any difference between deactivating them via the Settings tab and removing them using SenseUtil?

The difference could be that all the referenced dlls don't get loaded on start up, just depends at what point Sense reads the configuration keys I suppose.

Reactions: yung18

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
So I exported the registry keys for the dialer skin just in case I didn't like it. Reminds me of my old XV6800 so I want to go back. How can I put them back in the registry? Thanks!

Hi, what registry editer did you use? If you backed them up with Resco File Explorer, they should be in the My Documents folder. Click on it to restore. if you are using a different editor and have deleted the keys, try creating the keys again.
Hope i helped !

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
Have you noticed if there is any difference between deactivating them via the Settings tab and removing them using SenseUtil?

The difference could be that all the referenced dlls don't get loaded on start up, just depends at what point Sense reads the configuration keys I suppose.

No, sorry, i havent tried SenseUtil before! I will try and test it and report back ;)
Cheers!

Joe Bleau

Nov 19, 2010
Costa Rica
www.monteverde.org
Re: Save RAM with HTC Sense... Links?

Hi,
I am going to make a big thread for tips and tricks on saving RAM on HTC Sense/TouchFlo3D...
Thanks for the effort.

Missing in post #1 IMO is links to the original threads where you found the cabs as user feedback for those mods or updates are quite relevant like for [MOD][Kenia Sense StartMenu][WVGA Only] for example. Also one can "Thanks" the author, ask questions in the proper specific thread, etc.

Reactions: bigchrizzieboy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    I am going to make a big thread for tips and tricks on saving RAM on HTC Sense/TouchFlo3D. Unless you have a HD2; you will experience a low amount of RAM when running Sense. It simply uses alot of resources. Here I have compiled my own list of tweaks I have found! If you have any, please add them to this thread!

Disable the Settings tab:
    \HKLM\SOFTWARE\HTC\Manila\Configuration\*
    Search for the folder with the number that's the settings page (PageName = Manila:/settings.page).

- AppointmentService
    - AudioManagerService
    - CameraAlbumService
    - Contacts
    - HomeService
    - LauncherService
    - Messaging
    - TwitterService
    - WeatherService
    - WorldClockService

How To use them:
    Try them not all at once, disable a service and test Sense (restart/disable, enable on homescreen)
    Example: For some reason if you rename AudioManagerService the homescreen doesn't work and sense won't start.

2) Deactivate HTC Volume Control - Saves you 2mb of RAM, Added at end of post

3) Deactivate Manilla Dialer - Saves 10mb RAM,
    Delete this two RegKeys
    REG KEY Registry\HKLM\SECURITY\PHONE\SKIN\
    REG KEY Registry\HKLM\SECURITY\PHONE\SmartDial\
    You will have the default WM dialer!
    Warning: Back up your Reg keys if you want to get it back!

4) Kill AlbumSearcher.exe and AudioSearcher.exe - Saves up to 6mb RAM
    After using Music/Photo Tabs, use MMTaskmanager (attached to end of post) and kill these .exes. Don't worry, they won't cause any damage to your phone.

5) Don't Use Landscape Mode - using Landscape mode has to load up all the individual tabs again and takes more RAM up. [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HTC\Manila]
    "EnableLandscape"="true" - Change ''true'' to ''false''

6) Try not to use Manilla Mods! - a pretty self-explanatory one, but i tend not to use these as they make the device unusable for me and freeze my phone up alot. They are great apps though!(e.g - Co0kie's Home Tab) They were built in mind for the HD2 with 576mb RAM. They are nice UI's but would you rather have more RAM to run more apps?

9) Disable Start-Menu in WM6.5.x - Saves 10-25mb RAM
    Disable it but install Miro's startmenu replacement OR Kenia1234 Start-Menu Replacement which uses no RAM!

10) Disable WM6.5.x Lock Screen - Saves 5mb RAM
    Uses the default WM6.1 lock screen which uses no RAM. Start > Settings > Lock > Windows Classic

11) Disable HTC Notification Manager - Saves 4mb RAM:

12) Disable HTC Notifications Enhancer :
    or

13) Disable HTC Menu :

14) Disable HTC Date Picker :

15) Disable HTC Task Icons (battery, signal level...) & Pin Dialer :

16) Use 'lighter' ROMs - Using WM6.1 uses less resources than WM6.5. I find using WM6.1 I have more RAM, speed and better benchmark performances than WM6.5. I use this on my TG01. (used to on Touch HD)

17) Close programs when not in use! :p - Cannot believe I left this out in the other updates, but this is the most obvious one! Close apps when you really don't need them.

18) Use Standard WM Taskbars. i was using some custom Taskbars a few months back. Although they look great, I foud out they take up RAM. I decided to go back to the standard WM taskbar. 2mb RAM saved.

19) Disable Sense Temporarily When Running Heavy Apps - I found out that Opera Mobile 10 takes up a whooping 50mb RAM in use! With Sense + Opera running I have a mere 9Mb RAM to play with. So a simple tip, disable Sense in the today settings or 'mskips Today Screen Switcher' when using opera. When you finish browsing, simply enable it again. This also increases battery performance.

More to come... If you have any, please post in this thread!
    NB: These could also potentially increase battery performance! Feel free to share your experiences in the thread ;)

Check out post 2 for the warnings and problems... If in doubt, don't use them! :p

P.S- If you use these, please hit the Thanks Button, it will be much appreciated!
    I like this post, what I also do

Didn't know all of them.

Disable the setting tab:

- AppointmentService
    - AudioManagerService
    - CameraAlbumService
    - contacts
    - HomeService
    - LauncherService
    - messaging
    - TwitterService
    - WeatherService
    - WorldClockService

HOW TO use them:
    Credits And Reference

Credits
    First Of all, I would like to thank all the devs who made/discovered these tweaks. (however I found a few too! :p) I have simply compiled them.

Thanks to contributors: bigchrizzieboy, cjbarth

Thanks to the devs: Kenia1234, Mirolg, Matt Armstrong, HallengreeN, maximusmobile, meltwater Also to orb3000 for putting this on the XDA portal to let users know! (you can also feature this update if you wish!)

Any others I have forgot, please let me know!

References
    Thanks to Joe Bleau for the idea of posting links to the original threads, for extra support for individual encounters.

[MOD][Kenia Sense StartMenu][WVGA Only]

[miROM_APP] StartMenuReplacement (full Prog + Settingsmenu) + 10 MB free RAM back

[APP] MMTaskManager 2.3 - Full task manager (WM 6.5, 6.5.x)

Also feel free to use these and report them back in the thread; but I take no responsibility if you end up spoiling your phone! (most unlikely though - can be easily rectified worst case scenario is a hard reset - but just in case :p)
    Removing the startmenu will mean you can't access your programs.. make sure you have sense enabled and know what you are doing! Always have a backup
    Reserved again!
    I can't find the Configuration under Manila in registry to deactivate some tabs at 1). And Services neither, only HTCService. Any suggestions?
    I'm using the latest TAEL ROM on a Touch Pro.

The Configuration registry items are generated only when you've re-organised or changes the tabs from the settings tab first, they simply over-ride the defaults (if present).