[INDEX][FAQ][Q&A][ALL-IN-ONE][ATT][SM-G900A][Jul.01.2014]

Search This thread

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City
[SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2] AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 5[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: What are download mode and recovery and how can I enter them?[/SIZE]
Make sure your phone is unplugged and powered off.
Download Mode: Hold Volume down, home, and power until you see the green dude.
Recovery Mode : Hold Volume up, home, and power for about 5 seconds then release all buttons. This might take a couple of tries.

[SIZE=+1]Q2: What is ADB (Android Debug Bridge) and what is it for?[/SIZE]
There is much to learn, please view everything in the threads OP, here is a very good guide [GUIDE] ADB Workshop and Guide for everyone

[SIZE=+1]Q3: How to enable "developer options" in 4.4.2?[/SIZE]
Go to->Setting->About Phone->Click 7 times on Build number
After this you will see a pop up message saying that you are now developer.​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: How do I root my device?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q5: What are my choices on a custom recovery?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q6: How can I Sim-Unlock my phone ?[/SIZE]
Thanks to @Chainfire [APP][2013.11.04] RegionLock Away v1.3[ROOT]
★Since i used this across three different device it might work but Not Test it Yet until Root method release★

[SIZE=+1]Q7: Am I required to backup my ROM before flashing anything else?[/SIZE]
No you're not, but it is definitely a good idea and always recommended because if you don't do a backup and then something goes wrong, it means that you'll lose all your apps, data etc. It just saves a lot of hassle.​

[SIZE=+1]Q8: How do I return my device to stock / ODIN to stock?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q9: How to get a logcat if I'm asked for it?[/SIZE]
Here is a link for learning how to make a Logcat[UNIVERSAL][LOGCAT]How to get & read a logcat/ Troubleshoot your own issues!

[SIZE=+1]Q10: What does MD5 checksum mean??[/SIZE]
MD5 digests have been widely used in the software world to provide some assurance that a transferred file has arrived intact. For example, file servers often provide a pre-computed MD5 (known as Md5sum) checksum for the files, so that a user can compare the checksum of the downloaded file to it. Download MD5 TOOL CHECKER

[SIZE=+1]Q11: What is the best ROM/kernel/modem??[/SIZE]
Honestly, there is no "best". It's all based on personal choice. For example; I may like heavily customizing my ROMs where as you may like it to look at basic as possible. The best thing you can do is to just test out different ROMs/kernels/modems and see which you prefer.​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: I have an AT&T GALAXY S5 & what are my choices for modems?[/SIZE]

NOT YET!​

[SIZE=+1]Q13: I have AT&T what is the Access Point Name (APN) I need?[/SIZE]
Name: ATT Phone (Some might have PTA in place of Phone)
APN: phone
Proxy: Not set
Port : Not set
User name: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: None
APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri,fota
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Enable/disable APN: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified​

[SIZE=+1]Q14: How do I restore a Nandroid Backup?[/SIZE]
Enter recovery mode again and look for the ‘backup and restore’. Select restore and everything should go back to normal in a few minutes.If you choose the ‘Advanced Restore’ option, you can select which component of the backup to restore – like the boot, system, data or cache...Reboot to system. Your system is now restored and is exactly same as the time when the backup was made.​

[SIZE=+1]Q15: How do I edit my build.prop to get ATT 4G LTE?[/SIZE]
ro.build.product> klteatt
ro.product.device> klteatt
ro.product.model> SAMSUNG-SM- G900A
ro.product.name> klteuc
Thanks to @s5freak in Here Post #210

[SIZE=+1]Q16: How to Enable Native AT&T / T-Mobile WiFi Hotspot?[/SIZE]

*​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ

Last edited:

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City
[AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 5][Help Thread][List of supporters][June.28.2014]

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 5 Help Thread

Please read the FAQ found Here, before asking any questions.
It is quite possible your question may have already been answered

Welcome to the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 5 help thread! You can ask all questions here without the need of background knowledge. This thread is dedicated to solve users problems, so if you don't want to start a new thread for your question, ask it here. Members ready to help will be monitoring this thread and provide answers as soon as possible. To see a list of supporters, see here

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @. Also, if you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. If you are not eligable of posting there, you may post here. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just shoot me a PM!

ROM developers: Please read this. Consider if you want to have a ROM specific help thread or not, if not, most likely questions about your ROM will be asked here if the users aren't eligable for posting in development section.

To all of you: Remember the Rules and the Forum Etiquette

Last edited:

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City

cerobles1

Sep 10, 2011
Riverview
Where are these ROMs you speak of??? So ready for development on this bad boy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City
Where are these ROMs you speak of??? So ready for development on this bad boy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I know starting today April 9, 2014 some of ATT user already received their pre - ordered S5. Hopefully @Chainfire able to help us ATT user SM-G900A with some development for root method.....i know is gonna be hard for AT&T user with locked bootloader. Also hopefully u guys that already received your S5 able to help him with anything that he need for our future development.
If u guys Att user (SM-G900A) up for helping future development please visit [SM-G900F] CF-Auto-Root I can't get mine till end of May due to my att contract.

Swyped From MK2 Dark Venom SS Edition

Last edited:

JesseK

Apr 14, 2008
Anxiously waiting. If it's determined to be locked without exploit, I probably will sell/return mine.

I'm lucky enough to have an s4 with TWRP, and I'm pleased with it still.

Reactions: ted77usa

vividblu2020

May 8, 2012
richmond va
hey everyoneeee in the android world!!
hey i am almost in the market to get another phone
i don't really care about Roms that much. but if someone
would kindly "PM" me when root becomes available, that would be nice.
i have been thinking about getting the s5 over the new htc m8.
Samsung seems to still be king!

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City
[OP UPDATED] [Q#8] [ODIN] [SM-G900AUCU1ANCE] [Apr.11.2014]

hey everyoneeee in the android world!!
hey i am almost in the market to get another phone
i don't really care about Roms that much. but if someone
would kindly "PM" me when root becomes available, that would be nice.
i have been thinking about getting the s5 over the new htc m8.
Samsung seems to still be king!

Keep watching this Thread or maybe even subscribe ...i would update frequently......Thanks to @zidacj for Stock ODIN Firmware 4.4.2 SM-G900AUCU1ANCE OP UPDATED FOR Q#8
Stock Firmware 4.4.2 SM-G900AUCU1ANCE Thanks to @zidacj
>>> MIRROR <<<

Already posted the recovery in CF Root Thread but I dont think CF Root will actually work, the ATT S5 likely needs a new KK root exploit not yet released.

@djkinetic
Hopefully this Stock Firmware 4.4.2 SM-G900AUCU1ANCE would come handy for those who brave enough trying to root......

Last edited:
Reactions: kpirnie

rdnckreaper

Root Access

Does anyone know if a DEV is working on rooting this device? I read a post that Chainfire would not be coming out with one due to it needing an exploit and he doesn't root that way. I forgot how much I hated stock android and need to at least get Wanam on this phone or I will be sending it back.

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City
Does anyone know if a DEV is working on rooting this device? I read a post that Chainfire would not be coming out with one due to it needing an exploit and he doesn't root that way. I forgot how much I hated stock android and need to at least get Wanam on this phone or I will be sending it back.
@rdnckreaper
I know too bad that we can't use CF auto root by @Chainfire but hopefully we would have root exploit soon since I saw alot of good Devs from ATT S4 are stopping by on here.

Swyped From Venomous Droid Blue Chrome Edition

rdnckreaper

@rdnckreaper
I know too bad that we can't use CF auto root by @Chainfire but hopefully we would have root exploit soon since I saw alot of good Devs from ATT S4 are stopping by on here.

That makes me feel a little better about keeping the phone. It is driving me nuts not having my root programs and not being able to write to my extsd. I wanted to give android stock a try just with root. I have always waiting till AOKP had a rom before i bought a phone. This is the first time I have preordered a phone and the fact I don't have root is driving me crazy...lol

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City
That makes me feel a little better about keeping the phone. It is driving me nuts not having my root programs and not being able to write to my extsd. I wanted to give android stock a try just with root. I have always waiting till AOKP had a rom before i bought a phone. This is the first time I have preordered a phone and the fact I don't have root is driving me crazy...lol
@rdnckreaper
I'm getting mine probably end of may due to my ATT contract.....but my partner @Venom0642 got his TMO version and he might already start working on Deadly Venom Series roms for ATT users like we did on S4... Since he got his S5 with Unlocked BL from TMO.

EDIT: just got confirmation from @Venom0642 ...Sneak Peak of Deadly Venom S5

asu8e5yt.jpg

na3ydane.jpg

uza4a4ar.jpg

Last edited:

rdnckreaper

@rdnckreaper
I'm getting mine probably end of may due to my ATT contract.....but my partner @Venom0642 got his TMO version and he might already start working on Deadly Venom Series roms for ATT users like we did on S4... Since he got his S5 with Unlocked BL from TMO.

Can't wait for it now...my color theme for every phone is red and black...that looks awesome...just have to wait for root and the cwm or twrp and then VENOM!!!!

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City
Can't wait for it now...my color theme for every phone is red and black...that looks awesome...just have to wait for root and the cwm or twrp and then VENOM!!!!

We about to release Venomous Droid Blue Chrome Edition for S4 and I can't wait either for S5 ......And we might have to use SafeStrap Recovery (TWRP base) by @Hashcode for ATT and Verizon users if we ever get root method. .. just like ATT S4.

semyjy7u.jpg

8aqapeha.jpg

are6e5ar.jpg

4ytaqe8u.jpg

EDIT: @rdnckreaper .... YES everything would be link to this thread when we have root method. ....recovery and custom roms. I would update frequently. Deadly Venom would be Red Theme....Dark Carnage would be Black and white theme.....And Venomous Droid would be Blue Chrome Edition.

☆Swyped From Venomous Droid Blue Chrome Edition☆

Last edited:

rdnckreaper

We about to release Venomous Droid Blue Chrome Edition for S4 and I can't wait either for S5 ......And we might have to use SafeStrap Recovery (TWRP base) by @Hashcode for ATT and Verizon users if we ever get root method. .. just like ATT S4.

☆Swyped From Venomous Droid Blue Chrome Edition☆

The Regular Venom is Red Chrome Right?
Do you think we will get root soon?
This thread will have links to everything we need too right?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2] AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 5[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: What are download mode and recovery and how can I enter them?[/SIZE]
    Make sure your phone is unplugged and powered off.
    Download Mode: Hold Volume down, home, and power until you see the green dude.
    Recovery Mode : Hold Volume up, home, and power for about 5 seconds then release all buttons. This might take a couple of tries.

[SIZE=+1]Q2: What is ADB (Android Debug Bridge) and what is it for?[/SIZE]
    There is much to learn, please view everything in the threads OP, here is a very good guide [GUIDE] ADB Workshop and Guide for everyone

[SIZE=+1]Q3: How to enable "developer options" in 4.4.2?[/SIZE]
    Go to->Setting->About Phone->Click 7 times on Build number
    After this you will see a pop up message saying that you are now developer.​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: How do I root my device?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q5: What are my choices on a custom recovery?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q6: How can I Sim-Unlock my phone ?[/SIZE]
    Thanks to @Chainfire [APP][2013.11.04] RegionLock Away v1.3[ROOT]
    ★Since i used this across three different device it might work but Not Test it Yet until Root method release★

[SIZE=+1]Q7: Am I required to backup my ROM before flashing anything else?[/SIZE]
    No you're not, but it is definitely a good idea and always recommended because if you don't do a backup and then something goes wrong, it means that you'll lose all your apps, data etc. It just saves a lot of hassle.​

[SIZE=+1]Q9: How to get a logcat if I'm asked for it?[/SIZE]
    Here is a link for learning how to make a Logcat[UNIVERSAL][LOGCAT]How to get & read a logcat/ Troubleshoot your own issues!

[SIZE=+1]Q10: What does MD5 checksum mean??[/SIZE]
    MD5 digests have been widely used in the software world to provide some assurance that a transferred file has arrived intact. For example, file servers often provide a pre-computed MD5 (known as Md5sum) checksum for the files, so that a user can compare the checksum of the downloaded file to it. Download MD5 TOOL CHECKER

[SIZE=+1]Q11: What is the best ROM/kernel/modem??[/SIZE]
    Honestly, there is no "best". It's all based on personal choice. For example; I may like heavily customizing my ROMs where as you may like it to look at basic as possible. The best thing you can do is to just test out different ROMs/kernels/modems and see which you prefer.​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: I have an AT&T GALAXY S5 & what are my choices for modems?[/SIZE]

NOT YET!​

[SIZE=+1]Q13: I have AT&T what is the Access Point Name (APN) I need?[/SIZE]
    Name: ATT Phone (Some might have PTA in place of Phone)
    APN: phone
    Proxy: Not set
    Port : Not set
    User name: Not set
    Password: Not set
    Server: Not set
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication type: None
    APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri,fota
    APN protocol: IPv4
    APN roaming protocol: IPv4
    Enable/disable APN: APN enabled
    Bearer: Unspecified​

[SIZE=+1]Q14: How do I restore a Nandroid Backup?[/SIZE]
    Enter recovery mode again and look for the ‘backup and restore’. Select restore and everything should go back to normal in a few minutes.If you choose the ‘Advanced Restore’ option, you can select which component of the backup to restore – like the boot, system, data or cache...Reboot to system. Your system is now restored and is exactly same as the time when the backup was made.​

[SIZE=+1]Q15: How do I edit my build.prop to get ATT 4G LTE?[/SIZE]
    ro.build.product> klteatt
    ro.product.device> klteatt
    ro.product.model> SAMSUNG-SM- G900A
    ro.product.name> klteuc
    Thanks to @s5freak in Here Post #210

[SIZE=+1]Q16: How to Enable Native AT&T / T-Mobile WiFi Hotspot?[/SIZE]

*​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
    A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ
    [AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 5][Help Thread][List of supporters][June.28.2014]

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 5 Help Thread

Please read the FAQ found Here, before asking any questions.
    It is quite possible your question may have already been answered

Welcome to the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 5 help thread! You can ask all questions here without the need of background knowledge. This thread is dedicated to solve users problems, so if you don't want to start a new thread for your question, ask it here. Members ready to help will be monitoring this thread and provide answers as soon as possible. To see a list of supporters, see here

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @. Also, if you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. If you are not eligable of posting there, you may post here. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just shoot me a PM!

ROM developers: Please read this. Consider if you want to have a ROM specific help thread or not, if not, most likely questions about your ROM will be asked here if the users aren't eligable for posting in development section.

To all of you: Remember the Rules and the Forum Etiquette
    It's incredibly amusing to me that some people on here are so negative. Locked bootloader does not mean no root. Please, just stop with your nonsense and spreading misinformation. The phone hasn't even been out a week yet and some of you are all doom and gloom already. Coming from an iPhone, where we had to wait anywhere from 3-6 months for a jailbreak, I find all of this negativity and impatience hilarious.

you are correct in that having a locked bootloader doesnt mean no root, however, you cant just adb push files to /system without an exploit first,
    no need for custom recovery to root but you need it to flash custom roms and with locked BL your not getting a custom recovery unless SafeStrap is available for the S5 or someone finds an exploit to unlock the bootloader.

it's a viscous little circle we dealt with frequently in the HTC forums, my outlook "If there's a will there's a way"

We just need to stay positive, nothing happens overnight...
    @ricky310711 i see your thread on the international gs5 got closed last night. are you still trying for a root exploit? i hope that didnt discourage you.

never mate! might be a tedious task and be slightly discouraging, but forward is the only way to go and dont look back!
    Attempt 1 was a no go...still working on root

we team viewed and this phone is not wanting to let go...im going to try something else tonight unless ricki wants to remote in again!