[GUIDE] Windshield mount for CDMA Hero (lots of pics)

Search This thread

akijikan

Oct 17, 2006
Hrm, this is almost great but I'd have to take it out of the otterbox every time I got in the car and put it back in when ever I get out

thematrixkid17

Aug 28, 2009
Hrm, this is almost great but I'd have to take it out of the otterbox every time I got in the car and put it back in when ever I get out

There are belt clip holsters for the Otter Box too. You could do the same thing.

Edit: Wait, maybe I'm wrong... There's one for the seidio case, but maybe not the otter box.

Last edited:

rufflez2010

Mar 13, 2010
Got the belt clip in the mail today, fits great! just need the GPS mount and ill have pics 5 min. later

Stage 1 complete. Still haven't received the GPS mount :(
Here's a pic of the progress. I just used a nail file and got good results. Took like 10 minutes after getting a good piece of the plastic off with wire cutters.
30912501.jpg

So far, so good

Last edited:

bubi73

Feb 5, 2008
Finished product which only took 20 minutes start to finish. Not shown is the band aid I needed on my left thumb for cutting myself! :)

imag0019n.jpg
imag0020g.jpg

Last edited:

ro_bro

Nov 9, 2009
Well..... I think driving is one of those things where you need to focus on REALITY not an augmented reality.

I'm using a air vent mount for my hero, as my car's windshield is too deep (Volvo S80)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arkon-SM329-SBH-Universal-Cell-Phone-Air-Vent-Mount/13045680

0004740752329_215X215.jpg

Works fantasticly, and what I love is that it rotates 90 degrees so when using google maps/nav I can have it widescreen.

The version i purchased in the store looks a bit different, but it is very adjustable so that the USB power cord can still be plugged in, and its the first universal mount I've ever used that holds the phone securely that doesn't mess with the volume buttons.

I use something like that, except it has a window mount. but i don't like it b/c it rattles. (the side arms that hold the phone). I'm going to try this custom mount today. Got all the parts as of yesterday.

ro_bro

Nov 9, 2009
OK, took 30 mins last night and finished this project! Like user bubi73, I inverted the back clip so that the camera can see through the mount. (different than the OP's pic).

some lessons learned:
1. I accidentally put the epoxy on the 'bridge' area that goes right below the hole. that area is over a whole and won't stick on anything. oops. I had to put black electrical tape there on the inside to make sure that the sticky epoxy stuff won't be an issue. I hope it dries up fully soon.
2. I think instead of epoxy, crazy glue can work. epoxy seems unnecessarily messy, even through it's really strong. I might try another one to test.
3. When drilling to take off the belt clip of the holster, it's a good idea to drill and lean the bit to the sides to weaken that center and allow for easy removal. Don't drill down into the holster.

awesomginger

Jun 24, 2010
Minnesota
So I just went to check a little on ebay for the parts. I ordered the Garmin 200 mount for $3.99 (amazing), but then there are no more of the custom belt clips from mobilesandpdas. I am under the impression that most other similar looking belt clips would do the job, am I correct?

Thanks for any help in advance....

thematrixkid17

Aug 28, 2009
So I just went to check a little on ebay for the parts. I ordered the Garmin 200 mount for $3.99 (amazing), but then there are no more of the custom belt clips from mobilesandpdas. I am under the impression that most other similar looking belt clips would do the job, am I correct?

Thanks for any help in advance....

Be careful. There is one style of belt clip going around that mounts face-down. This obviously won't work for you.

If you've got one that mounts face-up, this should work fine.

BTW, status update: I've had my mount fastened to the windshield of my car since I wrote this guide. Even through the ~100 degree week we had. I don't park in the shade. It still looks and functions like the day it was new.

NekoHunter

Jun 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Just wanted to give my thanks for this guide as well. Thanks to bbv203's insight in the Otterbox thread, I found that I could use a Samsung Moment holster instead of one designed for the Hero when making my mount so that it holds the Hero in its Commuter case. It takes a little trimming to make the volume buttons fit with the screen out and a little extra routing so that the camera is fully visible, but the result is well worth the effort!

Attachments

• back1.jpg
    back1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 132

maxpower47

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 23, 2010
Indianapolis
code.google.com
Just wanted to give my thanks for this guide as well. Thanks to bbv203's insight in the Otterbox thread, I found that I could use a Samsung Moment holster instead of one designed for the Hero when making my mount so that it holds the Hero in its Commuter case. It takes a little trimming to make the volume buttons fit with the screen out and a little extra routing so that the camera is fully visible, but the result is well worth the effort!

Sweet. I don't suppose you have access to a Seidio case to test it on? The holster designed to hold it with the case on only works with it facing in.

maxpower47

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 23, 2010
Indianapolis
code.google.com
Sweet. I don't suppose you have access to a Seidio case to test it on? The holster designed to hold it with the case on only works with it facing in.

If any one's interested, I did end up getting one to try with a Seidio case and it works great. Haven't made up the mount yet, but I did cut off the belt clip and opened up the slot on the side for the volume buttons.

the_jon57

Dec 1, 2010
Or just go to DealExtreme...

You can also just go to DealExtreme and get one of their universal mounts. They take a while to ship but they're ridiculously cheap:

(Link removed, XDA won't post it because I'm new? Dumb. This was a link to a search for "universal car mount.")

Here's the one I got:

(Still can't post a link but the SKU on their site is 41529.)

The one thing I have to be careful of is that it doesn't hold down the volume down rocker when I put it in, but for $5 it's awesome. Stays well-attached and fully folded it's about the size of a can of Fancy Feast (cat food).

pizzachef

Dec 18, 2010
You can also just go to DealExtreme and get one of their universal mounts. They take a while to ship but they're ridiculously cheap:

(Link removed, XDA won't post it because I'm new? Dumb. This was a link to a search for "universal car mount.")

Here's the one I got:

(Still can't post a link but the SKU on their site is 41529.)

The one thing I have to be careful of is that it doesn't hold down the volume down rocker when I put it in, but for $5 it's awesome. Stays well-attached and fully folded it's about the size of a can of Fancy Feast (cat food).

Thanks! Works great on a plastic disc on the dash of my Element.