[ROM] Plasma Active for SDE enabled Gen9

Search This thread

letama

Feb 13, 2008
Hello Guys,

Here is a plasma active build:

plasma02.jpg

Don't expect much support on this, for me it seems unusable as it is, too slow and not finished. I just wanted to take a look at the way they boot from sdcard.

Installation:

1) You need SDE activated.
2) Unzip files to a directory
3) Copy plasma_rootfs.img to root of storage
4) Flash kernel+initramfs.gz in recovery (details with pictures there).
5) Boot sde
6) Wait, wait, wait! First boot is very slow, I didn't even try a second boot :)

Download is there (big file, 447 MB)

Thanks to cajl for pointing this and pushing me working on it.

iourine

Feb 4, 2012
BTW, someone promised a KDE-based buid as the usual SDE 'firmware' for gen9. Probably on behalf of Archos itself... Two months ago. Still there are no more signs of progress...
Not allowed to post links here yet, look at dot.kde.org

Last edited:

faenil

Aug 18, 2008
Pisa
PLEASE READ:

I talked to a developer working for Archos, the Plasma Active based firmware is going to be the official SDE firmware!
But they're not working on it at the moment, they're trying to get ICS firmware out asap!

ALSO NOTE THAT:
the current plasma active image has no wifi (this is what I was told, haven't tried it yet) and that XORG is not HW Accelerated! The developer who made the Plasma Active based image is waiting for the kernel v3 to be released together with ICS firmware, hoping that a new kernel will fix the issues with WiFi and Hw acceleration.

iourine

Feb 4, 2012
Thank you, faenil - any piece of information is useful... but why so many capital letters?

I talked to a developer working for Archos, the Plasma Active based firmware is going to be the official SDE firmware!
But they're not working on it at the moment, they're trying to get ICS firmware out asap!
Quite reasonable approach for a vendor. No more questions. At least, it is a very good sign that the vendor does not go blindly within the entire Google-driven mainstream but has a broader insight and does try the alternatives. A bad thing IMHO is that the heaviest desktop environment is selected, the least appropriate for XDAs. Yet some people really like it...

the current plasma active image has no wifi (this is what I was told, haven't tried it yet) and that XORG is not HW Accelerated! The developer who made the Plasma Active based image is waiting for the kernel v3 to be released together with ICS firmware, hoping that a new kernel will fix the issues with WiFi and Hw acceleration.
well, without wifi it it a pretty useless toy... hw acceleration is less critical for me (but not for others, I think).

On the other hand, once Archos is officially involved into this project, why couldn't they use the existing 2.6.x kernel? It does work within the Android, hence, there are all necessary modules and kernel options being known, written and placed properly. Excuse my ignorance, what is the problem in building the kernel with all the hw features for a particular device yet without Android-specific sw components? Or what is the problem in running a generic Linux userspace on top of it?

Reactions: fmurillo

cajl

May 5, 2008
near PARIS (94)
jbmm.cajl.info
See this information from Basyscom

« Hi Jean-Luc ,
unfortunately we’ll have to wait a bit as the developer edition is required to install plasma edition. Archos wants to publish the developer edition after icecream sandwich being released.
Regards,
Eva »

But letama is faster .....

faenil

Aug 18, 2008
Pisa
On the other hand, once Archos is officially involved into this project, why couldn't they use the existing 2.6.x kernel? It does work within the Android, hence, there are all necessary modules and kernel options being known, written and placed properly. Excuse my ignorance, what is the problem in building the kernel with all the hw features for a particular device yet without Android-specific sw components? Or what is the problem in running a generic Linux userspace on top of it?

The problem is the guy who's currently building PlasmaActive images is not from Archos :) the guy from Basyscom http://basyskom.com/news/78-plasma-active-on-archos.html

I don't know if there's any agreement, but I think they'll probably use his work and add the missing features at Archos

News?

Hello @ all...

i will test the rom from the first post later today on my Archos G9 101!

The last post was on 8th february, what´s up... is there a developing or not? Because i´m very interessted in this rom for my Archos!

Do anybody knows something about a ubuntu-rom for our Archos G9???

Thank you!
Echse27

letama

Feb 13, 2008
Well, I didn't check their progress on it. I'm not really following it, I just did it more as a proof of concept and to get a taste of it. I saw that few builds have been compiled after this one, but I'm out of time to repackage it.

Reactions: Echse27

faenil

Aug 18, 2008
Pisa
Hello @ all...

i will test the rom from the first post later today on my Archos G9 101!

The last post was on 8th february, what´s up... is there a developing or not? Because i´m very interessted in this rom for my Archos!

Do anybody knows something about a ubuntu-rom for our Archos G9???

Thank you!
Echse27

as I said earlier, this firmware is actively developed by Basyskom and should become the official firmware for SDE, but they're waiting for Archos to release ICS (with the new v3 linux kernel) hoping that the new kernel will fix the problems with WiFi and hw acceleration

Reactions: Echse27

iourine

Feb 4, 2012
o.k. thank you both!
I hope the offical ICS Build will be released soon.
I think the Archos G9 tab will be more potential with an full useable unix-system.
Well, quite logical and reasonable roadmap. But I do not expect much from KDE-based software. Out of all existing desktop environments, they selected the heaviest one, the least suitable for portables. Surely this is just to have fun and see if it can reallу fly (better to say, crawl) on a tablet. It is very unikely to be a viable product for everyday use.

Ubuntu version looks more promising, at least from performance viewpoint... if only it were not its destructive "innovations" like Unity and Ubuntu One...

Anyways, both have the same problems with hardware support, and both are waiting for the new kernel, first... Second, both will prove their inconsistence in the real life... Third, both will serve only as generic Linux booting platform, waiting for someone to compile a more realistic version. Probably it might be a Gentoo-based compilation with LXDE or XFCE - am I the only person in the world to whom this idea comes? 8-(( Sabayon team is now doing some moves in this direction, but their product is very heavy even for desktops...

faenil

Aug 18, 2008
Pisa
Well, quite logical and reasonable roadmap. But I do not expect much from KDE-based software. Out of all existing desktop environments, they selected the heaviest one, the least suitable for portables. Surely this is just to have fun and see if it can reallу fly (better to say, crawl) on a tablet. It is very unikely to be a viable product for everyday use.

I have used Plasma Active on my Nokia N950 (developer phone, which has a 1ghz single core CortexA8 cpu + SGX530!!) and it was really fluid, I mean 60fps...

don't see your point about performance, given what I've seen on my n950 :)

I tested this ROM yesterday evening...

I think you are right, when you say that there ist a lot of development need before it runs smooth on our devices!

It was very very slow but it looks very goog, i think.

No WLAN or 3G
some funktions are without any funktion! ;-)
realy slow... Booting tooks 15 min.

At this time, this rom isn´t allday useable.

Do anybody know something about a ubuntu-release for tabs like our.... like the old netbook-remix?

iourine

Feb 4, 2012
Any news about new Plasma-based firmware from Archos? A lot of time has passed since release of kernel v3.x...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Guys,

Here is a plasma active build:

plasma02.jpg

Don't expect much support on this, for me it seems unusable as it is, too slow and not finished. I just wanted to take a look at the way they boot from sdcard.

Installation:

1) You need SDE activated.
    2) Unzip files to a directory
    3) Copy plasma_rootfs.img to root of storage
    4) Flash kernel+initramfs.gz in recovery (details with pictures there).
    5) Boot sde
    6) Wait, wait, wait! First boot is very slow, I didn't even try a second boot :)

Download is there (big file, 447 MB)

Thanks to cajl for pointing this and pushing me working on it.
    PLEASE READ:

ALSO NOTE THAT:
    Looks great !

Thank you for your excellent work ! I will try your ROM later....;)
    Thank you, faenil - any piece of information is useful... but why so many capital letters?

Quite reasonable approach for a vendor. No more questions. At least, it is a very good sign that the vendor does not go blindly within the entire Google-driven mainstream but has a broader insight and does try the alternatives. A bad thing IMHO is that the heaviest desktop environment is selected, the least appropriate for XDAs. Yet some people really like it...

well, without wifi it it a pretty useless toy... hw acceleration is less critical for me (but not for others, I think).

Well, I didn't check their progress on it. I'm not really following it, I just did it more as a proof of concept and to get a taste of it. I saw that few builds have been compiled after this one, but I'm out of time to repackage it.