S3 vs. Nexus 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

FunkyELF

Sep 30, 2009
Thought I'd share my thoughts on the N4 vs. the S3

I bought my wife a Nexus 4... if I liked it, I planned on selling my S3 and getting another one for myself.
That way we could share accessories, car docks, etc... there would be some benefit to having the same exact phone.

Anyway... her Nexus 4 was delivered yesterday and I'm not sure that I like it any better than the S3.
The N4 seems bulkier and while the N4 does have a slightly higher resolution than the S3, some of that real estate is used for the soft buttons home, back and recent apps.
So when you have them side by side it looks like the S3's screen is bigger on a smaller device.

The play store is sold out of N4s right now anyway, so I don't really have a choice.
I think once CM10.1 (or any AOSP 4.2 based ROM) is stable there'd be no reason to go from the S3 to the N4 (until 4.3 comes out and you have that 3 to 4 month lag).
Also, my S3 has 32GB and a micro sd card slot.

pedroisweird

Dec 5, 2010
Minneapolis
What do you mean, ok? It's the general section. It's alright he didn't ask a question :) good point FunkyELF. That's how I feel about it too. The difference isn't worth the switch. Just hold on to your S3 until the S4 haha :) I wonder if they'll get the flex screen stuff working in time for that. I'm so excited for tech in 2013. Happy NEW YEAR!!

DBBGBA

Apr 9, 2010
New York
There are many things that I don't like hardware wise about the nexus phones, I used to own the nexus one and I was very very happy with it until I lost it, but the new models don't appeal to me like the original did... too bad other android phones get updates only if you're lucky :/

guardzero

Mar 1, 2011
I almost bought an N4 over the S3 until I heard about no wifi calling on the N4 through T-mobile. That plus the lack of expandable storage and glass back of the N4 pushed me towards the S3 and I haven't regretted my purchase at all. Dropped a 64gb Micro-SD in the S3, installed Nova Launcher and BAM..Samsung knows how to make a great phone. I still hate touch-wiz, but any launcher of choice fixes that rather quickly. I really wanted the N4 until I tried the S3 + Nova Launcher.

gypsy214

Jan 24, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Same here buddy. I got my gf a N4 and I compared it with my s3. to tell you the truth I figure why would I want a nexus4? If I flash CM on my s3 would be better. The only thing I liked about the n4 is the hardware with the back glass. But Im happy with my s3 and not going to get me a n4.

I agree with you the s3 seems to have more space on the screen.
By the way my gf is getting tired of the n4 she doesnt want to root. So there is no way I can fix what she wants. She says that some apps like bank of america and cnn dont work properly, she hates the fact of not having adobe (even thought i told her I'll put it on and she dont want to, she says that if it was taking off it was for a reason.) Another thing she doesnt like is the speed of the phone browser wise. But anyways I like my s3

DigitalUnderground

Oct 4, 2012
Message to the OP.

AOKP 01/03/13 is stable as any ROM I've ran. I've yet to find a bug and I've been stress testing all day. S3 is better, and if u want stock aosp android, the 4.2.1 ROMS are coming along nicely and aokp feels comple

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: krackerjac

kingston73

Feb 8, 2011
Thanks for this post, when I read the title I was afraid it was another " should I upgrade" thread. Nice to hear from somebody who is able to compare them side by side.

BassBlaster

Dec 12, 2011
Dubai
Funny how no one here on the S3 forums seem to mention the price of the N4 as an advantage.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: badboy47

monkeypaws

Feb 19, 2012
How is the price an advantage, there are plenty of places where you can get the s3 cheaper than the n4.

Well unless you are on the value plan. Then your price is 500+ $$. That's what drove me to get a gnex prior to this phone. I paid only 250 for it when I paid 529 fory gs2. I paid 549 for this phone and laying it in installments. The nexus four is half that price. So yes it is an advantage.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Android_Monsters

Feb 2, 2012
Los Angeles
It's not an advantage to get something that's gonna suck when the real s4 comes out.

It's like calling an HTC hero a g2

That "thing" is just to trick people who can't wait for the real s4.

Also Google wants to prove they can put out phones by themselves. Which they can't. Lord knows I wish they could.

We need to let the companies know we aren't Isheep.

Rant over

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 AM ----------

Oh yeah. S3 is better than the fake s4 in every way

---------- Post added at 03:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 AM ----------

Been installing flip out decks all day. Little harried. That may not have been as helpful to the op as I usually try to be.

Let me try again. If I dropped my personal s3 I'd drive straight to the store and buy another one.

And, i still rock a real g2. And, I buy and sell gnex's and fake s4's all day.

Reactions: Karakoram2

monkeypaws

Feb 19, 2012
It's not an advantage to get something that's gonna suck when the real s4 comes out.

It's like calling an HTC hero a g2

That "thing" is just to trick people who can't wait for the real s4.

Also Google wants to prove they can put out phones by themselves. Which they can't. Lord knows I wish they could.

We need to let the companies know we aren't Isheep.

Rant over

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 AM ----------

Oh yeah. S3 is better than the fake s4 in every way

---------- Post added at 03:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 AM ----------

Been installing flip out decks all day. Little harried. That may not have been as helpful to the op as I usually try to be.

Let me try again. If I dropped my personal s3 I'd drive straight to the store and buy another one.

And, i still rock a real g2. And, I buy and sell gnex's and fake s4's all day.

Well comparing a phone that is actually sold to a theoretical phone "s4" is not a comparison at all. I do think that Google has put out good nexus devices bit obviously not everyone likes what they put out, hence why people choose the s3 or other devices . Those people want SD card support, etc. When I owned a gnex I actually felt at peace knowing I'd be running g the latest and wouldn't have to be refreshing xda forums hoping for a good rom to run. There are reasons I'm on the sgs3 and not in the gnez but its not because it wasn't an awesome phone , but because the features it offered were not as beneficial as what I get from an s3. (WiFi calling, SD card, increased in call volume, media volume. ) I am not going for the "s4." Because Samsung is also towing us along like sheep. Yes I said it. How many of you actually will keep your s3 longer than 1 year? They only care about competing with iPhone.

Android_Monsters

Feb 2, 2012
Los Angeles
I'll sell you one.

---------- Post added at 04:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 AM ----------

Wrong forum

---------- Post added at 04:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 AM ----------

I know Samsung is doing that, too. It would be hard not to. Don't buy a note 2 and they learn a lesson

Reactions: Karakoram2

adslee

Sep 19, 2011
Scarborough
Lmao "fake" S4...

Google wasn't trying to make an S4, or to even compete with the next generation of the Galaxy line; they wanted to make a high end Nexus device with a low price point so they can gain a higher userbase in their ecosystem rather than giving Apple a chance to herd more people into their's.

It's really not about which is the better device, the S3 or the N4, but rather which device is more suitable. I love the S3 because of its screen size, microSD slot, and the screen saturation. On the other hand, I'd jump at the chance to try out a Nexus 4 because it's pure vanilla with a sharper screen, pure black slate at the front with no branding or logos, and the build quality looks to be able to provide a very premium feel.

monkeypaws

Feb 19, 2012
This is exactly the answer the op needs.
Lmao "fake" S4...

Google wasn't trying to make an S4, or to even compete with the next generation of the Galaxy line; they wanted to make a high end Nexus device with a low price point so they can gain a higher userbase in their ecosystem rather than giving Apple a chance to herd more people into their's.

It's really not about which is the better device, the S3 or the N4, but rather which device is more suitable. I love the S3 because of its screen size, microSD slot, and the screen saturation. On the other hand, I'd jump at the chance to try out a Nexus 4 because it's pure vanilla with a sharper screen, pure black slate at the front with no branding or logos, and the build quality looks to be able to provide a very premium feel.

Reactions: Android_Monsters

AlexSochi8

Aug 5, 2010
I almost bought an N4 over the S3 until I heard about no wifi calling on the N4 through T-mobile. That plus the lack of expandable storage and glass back of the N4 pushed me towards the S3 and I haven't regretted my purchase at all. Dropped a 64gb Micro-SD in the S3, installed Nova Launcher and BAM..Samsung knows how to make a great phone. I still hate touch-wiz, but any launcher of choice fixes that rather quickly. I really wanted the N4 until I tried the S3 + Nova Launcher.

Hahaha +1 .. Nova launcher . Touchwiz blows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Trast me keep the s3 just in case u get bored form the N4. I was in the same situation. I used the nexus 4 for a week trying all the ROMs, and the moles color settings (we which didn't even help lost the brightness), then picked up the s3 and it felt so good in the hands. The n4 is heavy when you use it for 2-3 hours. So GS3 is so much more with all the TW and Aosp ROMs its much better. One week I use TW other Aosp AOKP cyanogenmod PA and much more. Just keep the s3 for a month.

Lol the N4.... Heavy....? Seems light to me. You've gotta be crazy.

Its apple and oranges guys, like what you like and stop trying to convince other people why you think x is better than y.

S3 is great and offers some cool stuff with TW.

N4 is great with superior speed and quick updates.

No need for an argument.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    You already own most of them so I don't see your thought process.

Your complaining about owning these devices but you already have them lol.

And no I don't live in Africa I live in Florida.

Right... had all of the devices for 4+ yrs too. How good was your smartphone 4yrs ago? Don't worry. I don't expect you to understand much. I've seen your posts around here and its not surprise. Let me dumb it down for you. I had multiple devices that all did individual tasks. Then a quality smartphone came out. Suddenly, I no longer had a need for most of those devices. My one smartphone handles all of those tasks, and is a lot easier to carry around. Hooefully that explanation was elementary enough for your southern education level :D

Who said it's a low end phone? It just really depends on what you want in a phone. For me, I'm never going to feel comfortable buying a phone without expandable memory or removable battery so the nexus was never even considered. I personally don't understand how lg/google can put out a phone with only 16gbs storage and no ability to expand it. Plus, that glass back is real nice looking until it's dropped and cracks.

It's a phone lol 16 gb is enough. That's why there are computers, laptops, tablets, mp3 players, dvds, etc.

They need to stick ya ass in Africa to live in a clay house where you can barely eat then I'll ask you if 16gb is enough lol.

It's a phone lol 16 gb is enough. That's why there are computers, laptops, tablets, mp3 players, dvds, etc.

They need to stick ya ass in Africa to live in a clay house where you can barely eat then I'll ask you if 16gb is enough lol.

So people should have to own 6 different devices plus a camera and a photo album too when my one device can do all of the above you stated? I had a tablet... sold it because my phone did all of the same things... my laptop and camera collect dust because my phone handles those functions for me. Only thing I don't use my phone for is dvds because if im not going to see the movie in a theater, im most likely not gonna watch it anyways. I just don't get your thought process. Maybe you live in Africa so 16gb is plenty for you, but I live in the USA and I dont find it logistically efficient to own 8 different objects to do all of the same thing my phone can do.

Also if I could get on a soap box, I love how some people drink the Google koolaid much the same way people do for Apple.. Any perceived short coming of said device was "for a good reason" which is usually unknown..

When we were touting the awesomeness of removable batteries and expandable storage over iPhones it was all the rave for Android Fanboys to throw that in the face of iPhone users.. Well when Nexus went that same route apparently so many had an epiphany and saw the light of what Apple had been doing all along..

I'm all about choice, do I need 64gb of storage, no. But if someone is selling a Class 10 32gb for 10 bucks. I like having the option to expand because why the hell not.