[DEV][2012/08/29] Multiboot v0.8

Search This thread

shrek8421

Mar 6, 2012
Bangalore
Multiboot question

Firstly I just want to thank all the devs involved in multi booting. This is bloody great.

Anyway I have a concern regarding multiboot and CM9.
Not sure if this the right forum so please direct me if I am wrong,

Here is my setup:

Defy+ with 1700mAh battery.

Nand: CM72 White rabbit 1.5.1

Multiboot 0.5.5

IN multiboot:
- CM72- kang
- CM9 Quarx
-CM9 epsilon3

Only CM72 roms have battery errors.
The battery icon comes with a "?" mark and shows as 100% charged all the time.
I have tried using Quarx's CM72 latest nightly too. But it has the same problem. In ICS roms there are no issues.

I have tried many battery fixes (installed via multiboot CWM) but there is no difference.
Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

BTW if I use any of the above CM72's as my NAND then there are no issues.

vuhothang

Jan 25, 2006
HCMC
I running Epsylon CM9 20120428, i can't run multiboot 0.5.5, it only display bootmenu 2.0.0. how to return old bootmenu to run 0.5.5, i can run multiboot with Epsylon CM9 20120416.

vuhothang

Jan 25, 2006
HCMC
yes, i selected 2nd-system but bootmenu 2.0.0 ics screen always overlay the multiboot screen. When i press volume down to select virtual os i flash multiboot screen i can see a little time and bootmenu 2.0.0 will display.

Someone can send me bootmenu 1.2.0 ics to flash. Thanhks!

Euro_Rules

Sep 7, 2009
Mumbai
I can't install multiboot. I am getting error every time :( Please Help

[Sun May 6 16:51:10 UTC 2012]: Setting bypass_sign to 'yes'...
D/[Sun May 6 16:51:10 UTC 2012]: mounting virtual data partition...
D/[Sun May 6 16:51:10 UTC 2012]: creating bypass-file...
D/[Sun May 6 16:51:10 UTC 2012]: unmount virtual data-partition
D/[Sun May 6 16:51:10 UTC 2012]: removing folder...
D/[Sun May 6 16:51:10 UTC 2012]: Saving environment...
I/[Sun May 6 16:51:10 UTC 2012]: fshook-initialisation done!
I/[Sun May 6 16:51:10 UTC 2012]: booting cyanogen-rom...
D/[Sun May 6 16:51:10 UTC 2012]: patching init.rc...
E/[Sun May 6 16:51:10 UTC 2012]: Error: 1

:( :( :(

pranks1989

Nov 24, 2011
Ontario
I running Epsylon CM9 20120428, i can't run multiboot 0.5.5, it only display bootmenu 2.0.0. how to return old bootmenu to run 0.5.5, i can run multiboot with Epsylon CM9 20120416.

Same here! Epsy's 28April Defy+ build has touch recovery(I am not saying about TWRP). That may be the reason why multiboot is uncompatible!

trevor68

Sep 7, 2011
yep tried epy's 7/5/12 nightly and all i have is bootmenu 2 now. not only that, but its both my 2nd-init boot AND my 2nd boot as well, not happy jan! :(

Mar 14, 2012
www.facebook.com
NEED HELP

I have a issue, i can't install second system. I only get what is the picture show. I think maybe I don't understand this step "Please replace NAME with the folder-name of your virtual system(you have to create this)" Tell me in a easy way.

vuhothang

Jan 25, 2006
HCMC
You much make /sdcard/multiboot/(Name of Virtual link CM9 or WIUI....) in CM9 or WIUI folder have 3 file: system.img, data.img, cache.img.

joydeep1985

Jun 19, 2011
Bangalore

Same here! Epsy's 28April Defy+ build has touch recovery(I am not saying about TWRP). That may be the reason why multiboot is uncompatible!

yep tried epy's 7/5/12 nightly and all i have is bootmenu 2 now. not only that, but its both my 2nd-init boot AND my 2nd boot as well, not happy jan! :(

People who arent happy with bootmenu version v2.0.0 and twrp . I must tell you multiboot is yet not in synchronised with touch bootmenu yet . Later on versions that touch bootmenu/multiboot would be integrated to get compatiable with twrp. For the time being I would like to let you know that if you want old bootmenmu back . use adb commands to push bootmenu v1.1.8 (compatiable with multiboot v0.5.5.) to /system/bootmenu folder .

HTML:
adb push bootmenu /system/bootmenu
.This should solve your problem. Right now I dont have the bootmenu v1.1.8 zip .Nogoodusername has posted them in earlier posts . I would attach it to my post later on . for the time being please find and download that bootmenu zip.

I have a issue, i can't install second system. I only get what is the picture show. I think maybe I don't understand this step "Please replace NAME with the folder-name of your virtual system(you have to create this)" Tell me in a easy way.

You much make /sdcard/multiboot/(Name of Virtual link CM9 or WIUI....) in CM9 or WIUI folder have 3 file: system.img, data.img, cache.img.

the user vuhothang is right you have to make a folder under /sdcard/multiboot/<your virtual system folder>. For eg : /sdcard/multiboot/CM7.2 and extrat the fsimages.zip under /sdcard/multiboot/CM7.2. Now the CM7.2 would have cache.img, data.img, system.img . That should solve your problem :)

Last edited:

vuhothang

Jan 25, 2006
HCMC
Ok, i will reflash Epsylon nightly older with bootmenu 1.2.0 ics (it can run twrp recovery), i will take /system/bootmenu to try with newest nightly.

Thanhks!

I will use to root explorer to take folder bootmenu. I will upload when i have it and tested.

Last edited:

vuhothang

Jan 25, 2006
HCMC
i was download epsylon 20120416, unzip and take bootmenu in system folder. I push (replace) folder bootmenu to /system. I was set permission like original bootmenu in 20120508. But many file image to set permission (not finish), i set finish all file (not include image file). When i reboot to bootmenu it run to bootmenu 2.0.0 with error image file.

How to set permission all file in folder, many file to set permission. I using root explorer to set permission. Help me how to set permission to folder effect with subfolder and files in this. root explorer or command abd.

I will try with older build.

vuhothang

Jan 25, 2006
HCMC
I was copy bootmenu from 20120406 (1.2.0) to 20120508. I was set all permission by chmod in adb. But always bootmenu 2.0.0 touch. Now bootloop.

I will reflash 20120508 and wait new multiboot compatible with touch bootmenu.

Casper87

Jan 16, 2012
Târgu-Mureş

You can rename to CM9. Each virtual ROM must have a separately folder on /sdcard/multiboot/ (Eg: /sdcard/multiboot/(virtual rom name)) . In (virtual rom name) you need to put cache.img, system.img, data.img

Casper87

Jan 16, 2012
Târgu-Mureş
you can install how many ROM's you want :). To boot on virtual rom restart phone, hit Vol - when LED get blue -> Boot -> 2nd System -> Your virtual sistem name ( Eg: CM9 )

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I created a new thread for this so I can edit the first post for release-info.
    This is the old thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1133866

Please note that the multiboot-feature will be removed if you update your real system.
    The virtual systems will stay on the sdcard so just reinstall the mod and you can boot your virtual systems again :)

Changelog:
    Code:
    [B]v0.8:[/B]
    - addon.d (Multiboot will be kept on ROM-Update)
    - working reboot recovery inside multiboot-rom(will boot directly into the recovery for that rom)
    - working reboot into bootmenu inside multiboot-rom
    - security-fixes
    - TLS-support
    - fixed sdcard-problems for NAND-system

[B]v0.7:[/B]
    - added integration in touchbootmenu. This is no compatibility-patch - since now multiboot can only be used in combination with touchbootmenu

[B]v0.6.1:[/B]
    - fixed some memory-leaks in kernel-module
    - fixed stupid bug which prevented creating backups on first start

[B]v0.6:[/B]
    - new hook-method with kernel-side code which should be the solution to most rom-problems 
    - fixed a bug which prevented mounting cache-partition inside recovery
    - fixed installer-bug when TouchBootmenu is used on NAND
    - reboot to recovery/bootmenu does not work for now. will be fixed in future

[B]v0.5.5:[/B]
    - support for Stock-roms with Greenbreadmod
    - added version-file(for updater which comes soon)

[B]v0.5.4:[/B]
    - fixed problem with install-script

[B]v0.5.3:[/B]
    - support for TWRP recovery
    - fixed problem with virtual systems with names longer than 9 chars
    - don't change 2ndBoot-script for bootmenus with 2ndSystem-support
    - show graphical error-message when error was detected and copy log to "/cache/multiboot/error.log"
    - experimental support for booting stock-roms

[B]v0.5.2:[/B]
    - more configurable(via config-file)
    - fixed error-detection. On early errors you will get back to bootmenu
    - fix boot-problems for some roms

[B]v0.5.1:[/B]
    - fixed crash of GUI when choosing recovery
    - fixed bug which prevented creating important images on first boot
    - virtual systems now are using nand-backups with real data so you could install backups of virtual systems on NAND
    - installer sets default bootmode to 2nd-boot
    - added recovery-option for NAND
    - patch background-image of virtual recovery so you see if you are flashing real or virtual system
    - reboot system if you click "Go Back" in virtual recovery(until I found a solution for going back to multiboot-GUI)

[B]v0.5:[/B]
    - better protection against unwanted changes on real partitions(thanks wizwin)
    - fix Phone for for GB-kernel(thanks quarx)
    - set props so apps can detect if phone started with multiboot or not(for future versions of multiboot-manager)
    - reboot into bootmenu/recovery now works
    ATTENTION: reboot into recovery will open recovery for REAL system!!!
    - added GUI for choosing which (virtual) system you want to boot

[B]v0.4:[/B]
    - replacing all references to real system with stub-image(will be automatically created at /sdcard/fsimage/stub.img). 
      Now the recovery for the virtual system should be completely abstracted and it shouldn't make any changes to the real system
    - a PDS-backup will be created and injected because it's needed by android-system and above change removes the reference

[B]v0.3/v0.3.1:[/B]
    - moving original system-partition to another location instead of lazy unmount so she will be accessible in 2ndBoot-system and will not be busy
    - fixed recovery to improve installer-zip compatibility. MIUI works now
    - internal script-changes

[B]v0.2:[/B]
    - "Install zip from SDcard" works now
    - changed hook-method so it works with more ROM's(including ICS)

[B]v0.1:[/B]
    First release

Source:
    https://github.com/M1cha/DefyMultiboot

Download:
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1289953&d=1346244428

Installation:
    1. Download zip-file and copy to sdcard
    2. create 3 filesystem-images in ext3-format and copy them to /sdcard/multiboot/NAME with the names system.img, data.img and cache.img.
    Please replace NAME with the folder-name of your virtual system(you have to create this)
    You can download ready-to-use images from here:
    http://www.multiupload.com/VY3U4IXRO1
    2. install zip-file in CWM

Some info:
    - The menu-entry "Lastest Recovery" is no longer supported and will affect your real system!
    - boot the System-Chooser with the 2ndBoot-option in bootmenu

Bugs:
    - Data-Wipe deletes android_secure

Donate:
    Developing Multiboot makes much fun and I really like the results but takes much time, so feel free to donate a beer.
    Tutorial For Multiboot

Well its said you cant learn anything well if you haven't learn it in hard way ( applies true for me . ). For people who are facing problem with 0.5.1-v0.5.4 i would post a short steps for them how to proceed . Assume i am starting from zero

1. Open Stable recovery flash CM7/CM9 (preferably froyo kernel).
    2. Now boot into CM7/CM9 verify your primary system is running fine .
    3. Find the fsimages attached in first post . Extract it under
    /sdcard/multiboot/<your virtual system name> (eg. /sdcard/multiboot/CM7.2)
    4. Boot into recovery again (Either of Latest / Stable).
    5. Flash bootmenu v0.5.1 and reboot
    6. When blue LED flashes press down volume rocker .
    7. In boot menu select 2nd boot .
    8. When you select 2nd boot , your menu should appear something like this

CM7.2
    MIUI
    Codename

Boot from Nand (Real system)
    Recovery (CWM)
    Reboot

9. Now select CWM .It would now show all virtual images But not the Recovery (CWM) string anymore. Smething like this

CM7.2
    MIUI
    Codename

But now you wont see any nand boot (Real system) or reboot string anymore.

10.Select anyone of those. But before that be sure you have copied all of the fsimages under /sdcard/multiboot/<your virtual system> ( as mentioned in step 3).You would get a long pause . As if phone has stopped responding . But actually your phone is jus fine .Its just creating the file system images. Dont PANIC!!

11. Now after long pause when the image files have been created . you would see your lovely recovery . Now this is the recovery you have been love in with .

12. Flash your virtual system zip selecting zip from sdcard (MIUI , Codename , CM7 whatever).

13.After flashing has been completed reboot and go to bootmenu .
    14. Go to 2nd boot You would see now CM7.2 in menu.Select it and you would be inside CM7.2 !!!!!!!!

Note : Before trying all this make sure you have put the default boot as 2nd-System ( If you are using Multiboot version greater than 0.5.2 alongwith bootmenu 1.1.8) . If not then default boot should be 2nd-Boot.

Update : There has been quite a few updates on Notes section : We can use GB roms as well as confirmed by nogoodusername .

The setup has to be :
    Primary : GB Rom
    Sdcard : (System 1: GB Rom , System 2 : GB Rom )

Attachment : Lite version of File system fsimages ( credits pabloltg).

You cant use combination of both GB and Froyo Roms at the same time in Sdcard + Primary . Stick to Either Primary + Sdcard = Full GB Or else Primary + Sdcard = Full Froyo .

Updates : 23 April 2012

1. There is small utility IC4Mv2.zip for creating images of any size . You can also find the attachment in this post as well . Instructions are given in the link .Credits dlhxr.

Updates : 12 April 2012

1.The zip bm_cwm_mb_v0.5-signed.zip ( Credits Nepotu ) is script containing the latest bootmenu (1.1.8), stable recovery = TWRP, custom recovery = classic recovery, multiboot v0.5.3/4 and Defy overclock modules. Default boot mode is set to 2nd-init Not 2nd system.

Some Notes :

1. Codename 1.6 : Use Royalee's MBM to create VFS (fsimages) of size mentioned . System : 300 MB , data : 250 MB , Cache : 150 MB . Or else It wont boot in Virtual system.

2. If you are using GB setup . Use walter's DHT kernel (Credits to walter) for an outstanding battery life . Works both on CM7 Defy+ as well as CM9 Defy+ builds(Red Lens Defy only).

3. If you are directly under bootmenu . Either of custom/stable recovery would affect your real system(Nand system). If you really need the recovery for the virtual system , Please read Steps 8,9 again.

Report Issues : https://github.com/M1cha/DefyMultiboot/issues

Enjoy !! i hope i have covered every detail of the multiboot and confusion . IF i have missed out any point . Please pm me and notify :D :D :D

Thanks a lot to leodfs , M1kkaa, Royalee, nogoodusername , pabloltg , nepotu ,Epsylon For all the support and hardwork behind this multiboot to be success :)
    Bootmenu 1.1.6 will have a new boot option dedicated to the multiboot...

I need to know what files are required to keep the multiboot system upon rom nightly upgrade... (automatic backup like overclock config and baseband)

This third kind of boot is named 2nd-system and will not be included in CM roms to keep data upon upgrades...

so the principe is :
    backup the script /system/bootmenu/script/2nd-system.sh
    backup the folder /system/bootmenu/2nd-system (or whatever is required)

bootmenu will allow the use of 2nd-system.sh as a default choice too, if script is present...
    I managed to make a successful build of CM7 and now I can start developement of a new bootmenu with multiboot-features :)
    Ok now I can boot roms with the new kernel-hooking-method and it's working just fine. I didn't try stock-roms yet. I'll release the new version soon.