Easy trick to get a new S4 from T Mobile without KNOX bootloader!

Search This thread

djcmn

Oct 27, 2012
New Hope, MN
If you are planning on getting a new one of these at a T Mobile store, DO NOT boot it up normally, even to set up a new SIM. Tell them you want to power it up first without a SIM and then do the following:

Boot into recovery and choose factory reset, then follow by wiping the cache.

These phones have been restickered to include Android 4.3 and KNOX, but on first start it will start updating android from the cache because it is still the original stock 4.22 without the KNOX bootloader.

I just did this yesterday because my previous one dropped and the LCD broke, so I needed a new one. I already had a SIM so instead of having them set it up, I did it myself. On first bootup with the back cover still off, I saw it updating so I immediately pulled the battery to stop it. I then booted into recovery and did the factory reset and cleaned the cache. Happiness followed when I saw it was indeed Android 4.22 with SELinux as permissive. Of course from there I immediately used ODIN to perform the CF Auto Root, update SuperSu pro and install my favorite root apps

I figured there might be a few people here who might want to know this little trick.

ShinySide

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 30, 2013
IHB
Wait.... Did it go into recovery? If not it wasn't updating.... If you're talking about the "Android is upgrading" and x of x that was your cache building....

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

djcmn

Oct 27, 2012
New Hope, MN
Wait.... Did it go into recovery? If not it wasn't updating.... If you're talking about the "Android is upgrading" and x of x that was your cache building....

If you let that updating finish you will end up with 4.3 ( and the KNOX garbage) and it will be too late to go back to the original 4.22 without the KNOX bootloader. A friend of mine just bought one for his kid yesterday and that's what happened. This kid really wanted his new phone set up like mine is. I went back there later in the day with him and said the internet wasn't working properly and we did an exchange. I told the lady at the store we were short on time and to just pull the SIM and put it in the box with new phone and I will set it up for him later. We got back to the house and I did the factory reset and cache wipe in recovery before starting it up normally. Confirmed he now has 4.22 and SELinux permissive like I do. My friend doesn't know these phones like I do, so it is good that his son has the same Android version that I do so I can help him if there is problems, especially since many employees at the T Mobile stores are clueless and or course I was the one that rooted it and set it up.

Ha, I did not put Android Tuner by C2 on it though because of what that app can do.

Last edited:

HTCMDA

Dec 28, 2006
If you let that updating finish you will end up with 4.3 ( and the KNOX garbage) and it will be too late to go back to the original 4.22 without the KNOX bootloader. A friend of mine just bought one for his kid yesterday and that's what happened. This kid really wanted his new phone set up like mine is. I went back there later in the day with him and said the internet wasn't working properly and we did an exchange. I told the lady at the store we were short on time and to just pull the SIM and put it in the box with new phone and I will set it up for him later. We got back to the house and I did the factory reset and cache wipe in recovery before starting it up normally. Confirmed he now has 4.22 and SELinux permissive like I do. My friend doesn't know these phones like I do, so it is good that his son has the same Android version that I do so I can help him if there is problems, especially since many employees at the T Mobile stores are clueless and or course I was the one that rooted it and set it up.

Ha, I did not put Android Tuner by C2 on it though because of what that app can do.

my update finished and I don't have knox...
If you booted directly into recovery without turning the phone on completely, how would you even know if it had knox or not? not all are shipping with the 4.3 update.

djcmn

Oct 27, 2012
New Hope, MN
my update finished and I don't have knox...
If you booted directly into recovery without turning the phone on completely, how would you even know if it had knox or not? not all are shipping with the 4.3 update.
Please reread what you just quoted me as saying. I will add that all 3 devices came from the same T Mobile store that had only the newer restickered boxes with the 4.3 update. When replacing mine I specifically asked if they had any without the update and they said they didn't because all they had was boxes with the new stickers.

The first one my friends kid got went through the update, and I saw the 4.3 version in " About Device" before we returned it, although I did not actually look for KNOX. The second one was 4.22 when I did the recovery trick which confirmed my suspicion.

The OP was about the one I replaced for myself, and I just acted on a hunch when I first booted up and saw " Android is updating" and stopped it.

gamepr

Jun 30, 2012
Google Pixel 8
....I just did this on a replacement phone and it did not work. Booted straight into recovery, wiped cache and did a factory reset with no luck as to what the OP is claiming here.

Phone still has 4.3

scooter247

Jun 26, 2009
He said he got a new boxed s4 from the store not a replacement that was sent to him. Also the boxes with stickers may have been left over stock already manufactured with 4.2 but has been sent the ota update wich kicks in when booted up. Eventually Samsung will manufactur the update in house. Any refurbished ones will already be updated in house as well.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: djcmn
D

Deleted member 4605205

....I just did this on a replacement phone and it did not work. Booted straight into recovery, wiped cache and did a factory reset with no luck as to what the OP is claiming here.

Phone still has 4.3

Nope, all the replacement phones sent to you are refurbished units and already updated before they are sent. This trick he's saying only applies to brand new phones that were manufactured before the 4.3 update (which might not be available for much longer).

Reactions: djcmn

djcmn

Oct 27, 2012
New Hope, MN
Exactly what scooter247 and Yo_2T said. The reason I posted this topic is because time is limited so I wanted to get the word out. Some locations it might already be too late.

roblxskye

Jul 20, 2012
Sorry if this isn't a stupid question, is warranty and downgrading the only reason to not update to 4.3 ota touchwiz?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

PesTicide.

Aug 22, 2012
Bronx, NY
I bought a new Galaxy s4 (white) 4 days ago. The rep set it up at T-Mobile store with Sim installed and were still Android 4.2.2 out of the box. He say only if you guys click on system updates in the settings but I told him not to because I don't want Knox stuffs. ;)

futty

Nov 23, 2008
Good job for finding this. I don't plan to get a new s4 or whatever until the s5 is out and you bet your ass that knox crap would already be there

DLovo313

Dec 1, 2012
Good job for finding this. I don't plan to get a new s4 or whatever until the s5 is out and you bet your ass that knox crap would already be there

Haha I was wondering if the s5 came out and this worked it would be great.

mrrobc97

Feb 22, 2011
Tucson
It worked!...just got my wife a S4 and I made it boot 4.2. 2 the first time...now after TWRP and Darkstalker its back to 4.3 w/o knox. So it seems they are still S4s with 4.2.2 avialable. Wish I could of done that to my Note 3. Thx buddy for the tip.

Sent from my Blutiful Note3

Last edited:

R.Suave

Apr 18, 2013
Texas
Got my S4 replacement in the mail today. Before even booting up I did the few steps mentioned in the OP and no luck. Powered phone on to see 4.3 mk2. Seems as they are shipping with the update already completed. At least in my case. I guess ill be triggering KNOX from here on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you are planning on getting a new one of these at a T Mobile store, DO NOT boot it up normally, even to set up a new SIM. Tell them you want to power it up first without a SIM and then do the following:

Boot into recovery and choose factory reset, then follow by wiping the cache.

These phones have been restickered to include Android 4.3 and KNOX, but on first start it will start updating android from the cache because it is still the original stock 4.22 without the KNOX bootloader.

I just did this yesterday because my previous one dropped and the LCD broke, so I needed a new one. I already had a SIM so instead of having them set it up, I did it myself. On first bootup with the back cover still off, I saw it updating so I immediately pulled the battery to stop it. I then booted into recovery and did the factory reset and cleaned the cache. Happiness followed when I saw it was indeed Android 4.22 with SELinux as permissive. Of course from there I immediately used ODIN to perform the CF Auto Root, update SuperSu pro and install my favorite root apps

I figured there might be a few people here who might want to know this little trick.
    He said he got a new boxed s4 from the store not a replacement that was sent to him. Also the boxes with stickers may have been left over stock already manufactured with 4.2 but has been sent the ota update wich kicks in when booted up. Eventually Samsung will manufactur the update in house. Any refurbished ones will already be updated in house as well.

D
    Deleted member 4605205

Phone still has 4.3

Nope, all the replacement phones sent to you are refurbished units and already updated before they are sent. This trick he's saying only applies to brand new phones that were manufactured before the 4.3 update (which might not be available for much longer).