Soft bricked and can't flash any ROM

Search This thread

tutchthesky7

Feb 24, 2011
So , I was helping my buddy out with his Roger branded HTC One M8... He had the latest OTA, unlocked the bootloader, installed a custom recovery, and finally tried to flash ARHD 10.2.....

ARHD won't flash because it says it's a corrupt .ZIP.....
The Backup we made before flashing, recovers, then reboots back into recovery ( fails )
Any other ROM also says corrupt .ZIP...

Have never had an issue like this before, and I have no idea what to do from this point on....

Already tried recovering the backup & flashing a different ROM.

I can't find the RUU for the latest rogers ROM ( Firmware 2.23.631.2 ) so I haven't tried to flash a stock ROM.... Can you install a stock ROM from before the OTA, if you did the OTA? Or will that just lead to more issues?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! ( PHONE MODEL M8_UL )

Last edited:
Reactions: Sir_Kato

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
What recovery and what version?

My first hunch would be fastboot erase cache, and re-flash recovery using fastboot. Often clears up lots of flashing issues like this. Also make sure you are using an up to date version of recovery.

Also, you can try to put the ROM on a different location such as the removeable SD and flash from there.

I can't find the RUU for the latest rogers ROM ( Firmware 2.23.631.2 ) so I haven't tried to flash a stock ROM.... Can you install a stock ROM from before the OTA, if you did the OTA? Or will that just lead to more issues?

Rogers often does not issue RUUs, so I would not be surprised if this is the case for the M8 as well. Although I personally can't say, as its not my carrier.

tutchthesky7

Feb 24, 2011

My first hunch would be fastboot erase cache, and re-flash recovery using fastboot. Often clears up lots of flashing issues like this. Also make sure you are using an up to date version of recovery.

Also, you can try to put the ROM on a different location such as the removeable SD and flash from there.

Rogers often does not issue RUUs, so I would not be surprised if this is the case for the M8 as well. Although I personally can't say, as its not my carrier.

Using TWRP 2.7.0.1

I did the exact same thing as he did , except with my phone, and I never had any of these issues, same recovery, same ROM, same phone model, so weird :S

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Using TWRP 2.7.0.1

I did the exact same thing as he did , except with my phone, and I never had any of these issues, same recovery, same ROM, same phone model, so weird :S

That version is 2 iterations old.

But just might be a bad recovery install, it happens (and as you mentioned, or works on your phone, so why not your buddy's?). adb erase cache and install newest TWRP (2.7.1.0).

Sir_Kato

Aug 19, 2014
Toronto

But just might be a bad recovery install, it happens (and as you mentioned, or works on your phone, so why not your buddy's?). adb erase cache and install newest TWRP (2.7.1.0).

Will try that and report back

Successfully flashed TWRP (2.7.1.0)

Attempted Recovery of the backup made right after installing TWRP for the first time, failed.

Attempted to flash the same ARHD Rom as tutchthesky7, see log:
<<<Log Start>>>
E:Unable to mount '/cache'
Full SELinux support is present.
E:Unable to mount zip file.
Error flashing zip '/external_sd/Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_1-.2.zip'
Updating partition details...

[Restore Started]

Restore folder: '/external_sd/TWRP/BACKUPS/SH45WM01930/1M8PostRoot_Recovery_2014-08-19--01-04-57'
Skipping MD5 check based on user setting. ("I'd personally verified the checksum prior to all this")
E:No partitions selected for restore.
E:Unable to open zip file.
<<<Log End>>>

Tried flashing the sideloaded ROM, and failed with the same resulting log as seen above.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Did you fastboot erase cache before installing TWRP, as I suggested?

Sir_Kato

Aug 19, 2014
Toronto
Successfully flashed TWRP (2.7.1.0)

Attempted Recovery of the backup made right after installing TWRP for the first time, failed.

Attempted to flash the same ARHD Rom as tutchthesky7, see log:
<<<Log Start>>>
Full SELinux support is present.
E:Unable to mount zip file.

[Restore Started]

Restore folder: '/external_sd/TWRP/BACKUPS/SH45WM01930/1M8PostRoot_Recovery_2014-08-19--01-04-57'
Skipping MD5 check based on user setting. ("I'd personally verified the checksum prior to all this")
E:No partitions selected for restore.
E:Unable to open zip file.
<<<Log End>>>

Tried flashing the sideloaded ROM, and failed with the same resulting log as seen above.

the log got me thinking, after updating TWRP and then clearing the cache the mounting issue seemed wierd, so I tried sideloading to sdcard0 after clearing the cache once more then installing from sideload.zip on sdcard0, which entered the ARHD install GUI. so now I just need a confirmation on whether installing from sdcard0 is dangerous as a reformat mid install will erase the zip im trying to install from. soft brick is bad enough, really want to avoid an expensive paperweight.

I'm still in the menu, waiting for more seasoned minds to respond before I go through with it.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Did you fastboot erase cache before installing TWRP, as I suggested?

I did indeed. Just got the confirmation on the go ahead from OP. Better safe than sorry. Will post the outcome.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So , I was helping my buddy out with his Roger branded HTC One M8... He had the latest OTA, unlocked the bootloader, installed a custom recovery, and finally tried to flash ARHD 10.2.....

ARHD won't flash because it says it's a corrupt .ZIP.....
    The Backup we made before flashing, recovers, then reboots back into recovery ( fails )
    Any other ROM also says corrupt .ZIP...

Have never had an issue like this before, and I have no idea what to do from this point on....

Already tried recovering the backup & flashing a different ROM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! ( PHONE MODEL M8_UL )

Using TWRP 2.7.0.1

Using TWRP 2.7.0.1

Will try that and report back