Charging and audio (Y) cable in one? [Hermes]

Search This thread

sh500

May 19, 2005
Hi all,

I've not got my Hermes variant yet, but would like to ask if anyone plans on using this device in the car for example; with the need to charge AND have audio out going to the car speakers.

Since there is only one connector for both charging and audio, is there some sort of 'Y' cable that 'separates' the two connections?

Thanks.

sh500

May 19, 2005
esackbauer said:
Brodit has an adapter with just charging feature:
http://www.brodit.com/productinformation.jsp?anr=971690

I have just written an email to them if they could put an audio out cable as well. I will update if I get any information.

Yes, I remember seeing that one...

I would have thought more people may have wanted such an adapter- but obviously not. This is something I would use in my car all the time.

bryson

Feb 27, 2003
UK
www.dsldevelopments.com
Hi Guys,

Have you considered the 'parrot' car phone kit options? They come in a variety of options, basically each is a Bluetooth car kit, that bonds with your device,transfers the contacts, mutes your cars radio, and pumps telephone calls through the car speakers also, it is in every way a fully working car kit for the Xda range.

I am biased as I retail and install them, but every customer i do installs for, they absoultey love them, as they also bond with upto 5 devices so other phones can be used as well, ie a works phone,

http://www.parrot.biz/united_kingdom/products/index.php?id=advanced

Drop me a line if you need any help ok,

Thanks

Bryson

kevino

May 19, 2005
Penang
xdaforums.com
bryson said:
Hi Guys,
To view and buy all Xda Brodit cradles and proclips, visit my site www.dsldevelopments.com

You should really fix your site to work with Firefox. It gives the error
Code:
Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Library
The plug-in performed an illegal operation. You are strongly advised to restart Firefox
with Firefox 1.5.0.6 with Noscript 1.1.4.1

Well I think it may be your fault because I've never seen the error before and it is reproduceable.

sh500

May 19, 2005
bryson said:
Hi Guys,

Have you considered the 'parrot' car phone kit options? They come in a variety of options, basically each is a Bluetooth car kit, that bonds with your device,transfers the contacts, mutes your cars radio, and pumps telephone calls through the car speakers also, it is in every way a fully working car kit for the Xda range.

I am biased as I retail and install them, but every customer i do installs for, they absoultey love them, as they also bond with upto 5 devices so other phones can be used as well, ie a works phone,

http://www.parrot.biz/united_kingdom/products/index.php?id=advanced

Drop me a line if you need any help ok,

Thanks

Bryson

Would these parrot kits route the [musical] audio from my device to the car speakers then? I dont really need a BT carkit since I always have my personal BT handsfree on. My main requirements are those as listed in my original post.

bryson

Feb 27, 2003
UK
www.dsldevelopments.com
Thanks Ill pass on the notes to the web guy, i use firefox and IE and works fine, is it the How it Works video?

No, it wont route music through your car, not that I have found yet,

wwaveydave

Jan 22, 2005
You'd need it to support A2DP to play music too. As far as I know there's no headphone support only headset. At least it's only headset on mine.

Manne

Feb 3, 2005
The Parrot kits and the TyTn

To Bryson:

I have a CK 3000 that has worked fine with all of my phones. However, according to a different thread there seems unfortunately to be a problem with the Tytn and some (all?) of the Parrot kits.

bryson

Feb 27, 2003
UK
www.dsldevelopments.com
Hi,

Ive yet to test parrot gear with a tytn / hermes etc - nhave you been over to the parrot forums to see if anyone has posted regarding this issue there?

Sorry i cant be of more help,

Bryson!

stephanoid

May 5, 2006
Y cable wanted!

I want a Y cable too!
Split into audio out, mic in, charge.
Preferably in a brodit carholder!
I'm sure someone can make this, now the phone is sold in Japan, lot's of japanese will want to use their own headsets, so I hope they will invent some nice cables :)

se4me

Aug 26, 2006
London
Im also looking for this same adaptor, so I can charge the device in the car while the adioo output can be used for satnav.

Anyone know of such an adaptor ? (Y cable)

lie_ui

Oct 12, 2005
TX, US
This is only my humble opinion.
When I first knew that the TyTn, followed by the next coming other HTC's PPCs (Trinity. Artemis), would not have the regular audio port anymore (Regardless the size, 2.5 mm or 3.5 mm), I was thinking they must be really stupid by taking that away. Since my first PPC, I have been always plug the audio/sound to my car stereo for MP3 and phone calls.

Then I tried to think about the logic, why would they take it away, they must have reasons, being such a high tech company. The most logical reason I can think of, they might want to design a good car kit /desktop cradle for it. Thus, by combining the audio port and the USB sync/charging port, they can create a cradle/car kit that would only have one connector to the PPC, instead of two connections/jacks: the USB and the audio pin. That might be a good idea, same idea like the earlier versions of the PPC, like Wallaby that had the serial connector that can be used for synching, charging, GPS, and audio input/output as well, all in the same connector.

But looking at the connector they made, the one posted above in the expansys, I'm kind of LOL really. 2 USB output, one for power, one for audio? Ha ha ha..

They /any third party, should have design a car cradle and a desktop cradle that not only have a regular USB for sync/power, but also just map out also the audio output to a regular 3.5 mm normal audio connection. And that cradle will be really useful and I would think many ppl will buy it. And for a plus side, just add a GPS module in the same car cradle unit, than its perfect solution.

Just my humble opinion...

sh500

May 19, 2005
Yes, I agree with the above post, what we now need is for someone to design both a desktop and car cradle, where it would have the 11pin, to which one would dock the device and the 5 & 6 pin on the underside.

goestoeleven

Feb 1, 2005
Boston
This adapter is helpful, but it would be more helpful if accepted the standard 2.5/3.5mm plugs and power. I mean, come on, who's going to be listening in their car with headphones?

sh500

May 19, 2005
goestoeleven said:
This adapter is helpful, but it would be more helpful if accepted the standard 2.5/3.5mm plugs and power. I mean, come on, who's going to be listening in their car with headphones?

Yes good point. As it is, it would mean having to use this adapter to split the audio/charging and then use yet another adapter to convert the mini usb to 2.5/3.5 (if there is such as thing, seeing as the connection now would be the standard USB and not the 'square ended' one).

wywywywy

Oct 27, 2005
www.wywywywy.com
sh500 said:
goestoeleven said:

Yes good point. As it is, it would mean having to use this adapter to split the audio/charging and then use yet another adapter to convert the mini usb to 2.5/3.5 (if there is such as thing, seeing as the connection now would be the standard USB and not the 'square ended' one).

That means we'll also need an USB A<->B adaptor.... Hmmmmmm.......