Galaxy S3 - Kitkat Discussion Thread

Search This thread

TheLastSidekick

Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
Yeah, I know your story with the S3 and how you moved to a nexus. But since I read a post in which you declared your love to our side of the community, I thought you had landed or might gotten an old S3 to mess around with hehehe. We have very few devs now, you and Doc were the most active if not the most active we had. Good thing Doc is still around a bit :good:
Yes I loved my S3 but money was tight and the Nexus 5 was a cheap and solid device. Keep in mind I'm currently unemployed and can't find work. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 on Lollipop 5.0

Reactions: Mervingio

revwillie

Apr 5, 2009
We have very few devs now, you and Doc were the most active if not the most active we had. Good thing Doc is still around a bit :good:

LOL. Who has two hands and looks first to see which devs are making Roms before buying a new device?

....this guy

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

Lollipop is awesome guys. When you guys get it on AOSP I'd recommend you go to it post haste. If you're going to need WiFi calling just try using Google Voice Number and Google Dialer on WiFi.

I'm thinking about this. Anyone try porting their tmo number to google voice and making the VoIP work thru hangouts?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2922629

calexchelse

Mar 3, 2008
Stroud, OK
I'm on the same boat, unemployed and can't find work in my field
I'm working as a call center rep for dish, I'm certified tech. When I picked the field (was a machinist, but injured on the job a few years ago), the IT field was skies the limit in Oklahoma. By the time I got certified, the bottom had fell out and all the ground floor jobs are being taken by 5-6 year experience techs, or, since I'm 40, the younger certs.

Reactions: TheLastSidekick

TheLastSidekick

Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
I'm working as a call center rep for dish, I'm certified tech. When I picked the field (was a machinist, but injured on the job a few years ago), the IT field was skies the limit in Oklahoma. By the time I got certified, the bottom had fell out and all the ground floor jobs are being taken by 5-6 year experience techs, or, since I'm 40, the younger certs.
Ah I see. There's kind of like how it is here. I'm 20, almost legal drinking age, I will be next month anyways. I'm also a certified technician. Got my A+.

Sent from my Nexus 5 on Lollipop 5.0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    And im sorry, but the "fact" is that you have provided no evidence, no source, not anything to back up your statement. You can say were not getting updated over and over all you want, but just like everything else around here, unless you can furnish something to back it up, it will be seen as mere gossip and people will just see you as someone who enjoys pissing people off.
    Now, if you can back it up, im all for seeing what you have to do so, but otherwise just let it be please.
    WooHoo!!!
    Great news guys! Looks like I've got a nearly fully working port to share! Gotta get it uploaded and an OP typed up, but I think its as ready as I can possibly make it. Had major issues with mobile data cutting in and out constantly, but it appears I finally got that working. (Ill be posting in the Development section now that it is.) Wifi, unfortunately is another matter, and as expected, I cannot get it to work without the full kk firmware.
    Aside from wifi, though, I think it could be used as a DD. Will need to hear from others to be sure about that though.

Anyway, huge thanks to @CNexus and everyone in the Sprint forums for all of their hard work and help! Ill do my best to credit them properly in the rom thread to come.

Stand By!

:cowboy:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Update: The Sprint guys finally got their rom working today! Props to all those who put in so much time and effort to get it sorted out over there!

I will take another stab at porting it over now that they have it working over there! Dont get your hopes up too much yet, but im not giving up so wish me luck!

Well, I have not had much luck with that Sprint KitKat port. I have been keeping up with their threads for reports on it though and have some stuff to update you guys on. I have no idea why, but as of right now the consensus is that to run a 4.4.2 TW rom, you MUST first update to the 4.4.2 full firmware. People are reporting bricks by doing otherwise, however, I have flashed the sprint rom to my device, and while it will not boot into the Android OS, it has been far from a brick and is a simple flash of another rom to get back up and running. I have also noted that other devices such as the Note 3 are able to run KK on 4.3 firmware. What does this all mean for us? I am not sure yet. Too much conflicting info tbh. Either way though, I have not been able to get my attempt at porting it to boot.....
    Another issue they are having in the Sprint forums are that if they flash the stock firmware via odin, everything works fine, but as soon as they flash a deodexed or odexed, stock, unmodified rom, many are losing data and wifi capability. Some report it works fine for them, so I suspect it may have something to do with how the firmware was dumped, or something else pretty simple that is getting by everyone.

It may be that we run into similar issues here when ours is released, but I am remaining optimistic that it wont be the case. Pure speculation though....

IMPORTANT!!!!!! READ THIS ARTICLE BEFORE ACCEPTING THE 4.4.2 KITKAT UPDATE WHEN IT IS AVAILABLE!!!!!

http://www.androidcentral.com/kitkat-sdcard-changes

Many of you may already know about this, but for those who do not, please take the time to read the linked article!

As for getting Sprints KK ported over, I am about to have to put it down for a while. I suspect either the kernel, or it may be due to simialr issues the Sprint guys are having. Ill try again, but Im about wiped out on it for now! Ill be watching for the official firmware release at SamMobile, and once available, I will try again.

Now, a little news on KK for us. I have been told from what I believe to be a reliable source that the T999 and T999L are scheduled to get the update between approx May 28 - June 5. If testing goes really well it could be sooner though, but it looks like we are still at least a couple weeks away for now. Also, this will most likely be EOL as far as official updates go. Meaning this will be the last S3 official update.

An interesting thing I have read is that Samsung has no plans to update the I9300. It is suspected that this is because it only has 1GB of RAM and simply put, just doesn't have the hardware to run it. The I9305 (LTE) will get the update, but it has 2GB of RAM like we do.

If I find or hear any other information I will definitely share it with everyone!
    Ive got a blacklisted T999, but the screen is broken, so if I have the time when 4.4.2 is released I will swap the motherboard and do as much testing as I can to see how things act for us. Im sure if you want to take the ota or flash the firmware you will be just fine, but if you want to root and flash other roms beyond that you might want to wait for a report from me or the others that im sure will jump in head first!
    For those who plan to wait, Ill do my best to get info out quickly, but ill have to let you guys know when the time comes if ive got the time to do all this right away.