[Root][TWRP][COTR][BOOTLOADERS]Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9 (4/5/13) [1st Gen Only!]

Search This thread

Logos Ascetic

Nov 12, 2010
Moto X4
In your own reply you just said it is universal and not universal at the same time

"It is programmed to be run on windows thus is "Universal" on all Windows PCs running Windows XP SP3-Windows 8 32 or 64 bit systems."

"One thing I can say though is that some PCs are different in terms of USB if so try a different machine that may do the trick."

This means its not universal, it means its hardware / software specific

Im not in denial, and not sure how making an accusation like that furthers the conversation in a constructive way.If you had to VNC into other peoples computers to install it then the install_drivers.bat is not a full proof method that works 100% .I know the proper procedure to install drivers.And its a very known and Common thing for the Kindle to have USB driver problems

I would appreciate it if you could list the manual steps youve taken in the past to get it to work through VNC.That way its posted here for everyone to see.Perhaps you can even integrate the steps into the .bat file so that in the future its a more robust automation with common conflicts and files checked to make sure they are setup correctly.Or just integrate it into your read me file for the KFU utility

@soupmagnet

Im well aware of my own post in another section.This post is in regards to the kindle fire utility and the bundled drivers and installer. While that post is a more broad post looking for an outside solution to my issue.Since the kindle connects as a adb device, MTP device, and mass storage device there is a more complex setup than most devices

Last edited:

menriquez

Dec 19, 2010
Las Vegas
Just because it works for you doesnt mean they work 100% for everyone, in every environment.While yes theres a very small chance a antivirus and/or firewall could block them. Neither are blocking any driver install. Do you have any suggestions for a more localized search closer to the actual drivers, driver installation .ini's .dlls or device ids? Seems like it would be better to check those than to just randomly start rooting around in other computer processes that arent directly related to the actual device

hey I was just trying to help...fyi here is screenshot of my firewall program from yesterday that led me to suggest the check for you...

comSS.gif

so it wasn't "random"...i understand your frustration but please i was trying to help.

regards,
- mark

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
@soupmagnet

Im well aware of my own post in another section.This post is in regards to the kindle fire utility and the bundled drivers and installer. While that post is a more broad post looking for an outside solution to my issue.Since the kindle connects as a adb device, MTP device, and mass storage device there is a more complex setup than most devices
Okay first off, arguing with another developer about how well their "works" work will get you nowhere on this site and you put yourself at risk of getting a Moderator involved...but that's just some friendly advice from one user to another, so you can take it for what it's worth.

The point of directing you to your original post, where I had posted another link, was so you can educate yourself and have a better foundation that can empower you to make a more educated suggestion/bug report/whatever.

Having said that, if you used the information that you learned from that post, compared it to the way KFU's driver install package works, and respectfully offered a suggestion to the developer that can help to make the KFU work better in more situations, I'm absolutely positive you would get a better response from him and possibly even lead to an updated version that will work in yours and possibly other situations.

Last edited:

aaron.a

Dec 24, 2010
i got a newb question,
how do i manually enter recovery after i flash twrp?

i read something about holding down power when you see the yellow triangle but i don't see a yellow triangle. the only way to enter recovery is to use kfu oO

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
i got a newb question,

i read something about holding down power when you see the yellow triangle but i don't see a yellow triangle. the only way to enter recovery is to use kfu oO
The yellow triangle has been replaced by the blue & white Kindle Fire logo. Holding, or repeatedly pressing the power button at startup should bring up the boot menu, assuming you have the blue & white Kindle Fire logo. If not, you can enter recovery through fastboot with the command line if the device is already in fastboot. If the device is not already in fastboot, you will may need to get a factory cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: evgeny9

Sblood86

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 18, 2011
Middle of nowhere, Texas
i got a newb question,

The yellow triangle has been replaced by the blue & white Kindle Fire logo. Holding, or repeatedly pressing the power button at startup should bring up the boot menu, assuming you have the blue & white Kindle Fire logo. If not, you can enter recovery through fastboot with the command line if the device is already in fastboot. If the device is not already in fastboot, you will may need to get a factory cable.

Also if you don't have the yellow triangle from the older versions of FFF nor the Blue & White KF logo Soupmagnet is talking about it sounds like you flashed TWRP (recovery) without flashing FFF (bootloader); if that's the case there is no direct way into recovery other than assigning the boot/postmode in system/adb.

Assuming the above is correct and you can get into recovery still via KFU; you will most likely want to boot too TWRP then flash FFF 1.4a, which will then provide the Blue & White logo Soup mentions, as well as the boot menu in which the power button will allow selecting recovery.

FFF 1.4a thread

Good luck.

callmeshulah

Jun 11, 2012
Bellevue
hi, just "re-rooted" my kindle after returning to stock (yeah what was i thinking ugg) i am running windows 8 and had issues installing the drivers. after a little google -ing i found this and it worked to get the drivers installed, so i thought i would share.

open a cmd prompt and be sure to run as administrator

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

REBOOT install drivers then run this in a command prompt:

bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF

REBOOT to revert otherwise you leave your system vulnerable.

hope this helps =)

Last edited:

Sblood86

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 18, 2011
Middle of nowhere, Texas
hi, just "re-rooted" my kindle after returning to stock (yeah what was i thinking ugg) i am running windows 8 and had issues installing the drivers. after a little google -ing i found this and it worked to get the drivers installed, so i thought i would share.

open a cmd prompt and be sure to run as administrator

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

REBOOT install drivers then run this in a command prompt:

bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF

REBOOT to revert otherwise you leave your system vulnerable.

hope this helps =)

Another option (should work, does with some other devices) would be to disable driver signature enforcement during reboot:

For windows 8: Hold down shift and click restart from the power menu, when it comes up to the advanced boot options, select troubleshooting, advanced, advanced startup, restart, disable driver signature enforcement.

In all earlier versions of windows tap f8 during boot up and select disable driver signature enforcement.

Nice usage of bcdedit though; your google-fu is strong ;)

JamesR913

Dec 23, 2008
I am having trouble with COTR. When I do option 4 in the KFU (0.9.9) it tells me that it was successful yet everytime I reboot into recovery it goes to TWRP. any ideas?

Koopa777

May 18, 2012
I'm on Windows 8.1 64 bit. ADB seems to work, but when I reboot into fastboot, fastboot devices shows nothing. Device Manager shows ADB Device Interface, which is what it should though. I can reboot to Normal as well. Any ideas? Thanks!

Sent from my MB855 using xda app-developers app

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
I'm on Windows 8.1 64 bit. ADB seems to work, but when I reboot into fastboot, fastboot devices shows nothing. Device Manager shows ADB Device Interface, which is what it should though. I can reboot to Normal as well. Any ideas? Thanks!

Sent from my MB855 using xda app-developers app
'fastboot devices' probably won't show anything anyway

Try 'fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product'

Reactions: Koopa777

Koopa777

May 18, 2012
'fastboot devices' probably won't show anything anyway

Try 'fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product'

Thanks! It shows "product: kindle". KFU doesn't show boot status 4002 though, it says "unknown." Is everything the way it should be(i.e. is it safe to proceed with the root/bootloader/recovery etc.)?

While I'm at it, the program errors when I run it it admin mode, but seems to work fine without it. That kinda worries me....I just don't want to brick this thing haha. I have done unlocking before, but not on a non-Nexus device(meaning I can actually break this thing). Thanks!

EDIT: I found this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23747804&postcount=3 , which explains why I needed the switch to see the device. I read that post already, yet somehow skipped over the switch part. Anyway, I still don't know why KFU isn't outputting boot state 4002 despite the drivers seemingly being installed correctly.

Last edited:

Koopa777

May 18, 2012
I am having trouble with COTR. When I do option 4 in the KFU (0.9.9) it tells me that it was successful yet everytime I reboot into recovery it goes to TWRP. any ideas?

I haven't even done this yet, but I read somewhere(it was possibly in this thread) saying how to fix it. I'll see if I can find it again.

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
If I remember correctly, KFU relies on the output of 'fastboot devices' to determine whether or not the device is in fastboot. As long as you are able to send fastboot commands at all, you should be fine.

But if you're really that worried about it, it's just as easy (probably even safer) to install TWRP and FireFireFire manually.

Koopa777

May 18, 2012
If I remember correctly, KFU relies on the output of 'fastboot devices' to determine whether or not the device is in fastboot. As long as you are able to send fastboot commands at all, you should be fine.

But if you're really that worried about it, it's just as easy (probably even safer) to install TWRP and FireFireFire manually.

When you say manual, do you mean the utility options, or the process described here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1638452 ?
Should FFF or TWRP be installed first? I've seen references of both.
And finally, the manual method talks about using fbmode to boot into fastboot, but KFU works by just changing the bootstate? Why would I need fbmode? Or is that only needed if one doesn't use KFU?
Sorry for all the questions, this is a bit more confusing than I'm used to. :p

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
When you say manual, do you mean the utility options, or the process described here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1638452 ?
Should FFF or TWRP be installed first? I've seen references of both.
And finally, the manual method talks about using fbmode to boot into fastboot, but KFU works by just changing the bootstate? Why would I need fbmode? Or is that only needed if one doesn't use KFU?
Sorry for all the questions, this is a bit more confusing than I'm used to. :p
That link should be just enough to see you through, should you decide to do it manually.

Not to take anything from the KFU but, by far, the safest method is to install TWRP first and flash the FFF1.4a.zip while in recovery. Doing so, means the chances of getting hard bricked from a bad bootloader install are practically nonexistent.

The KFU uses 'fbmode' to boot into fastboot. If you are able to boot into fastboot using the KFU, there is no need to install it manually.

Also, contrary to popular belief, there is no need to go through the process of "rooting". All you need to do is "factory reset" in TWRP, then flash a ROM. If you want "root", but still want to keep the stock Amazon OS...factory reset, then install MoDaCo.

But whatever you do, don't forget to factory reset.

Koopa777

May 18, 2012
That link should be just enough to see you through, should you decide to do it manually.

Not to take anything from the KFU but, by far, the safest method is to install TWRP first and flash the FFF1.4a.zip while in recovery. Doing so, means the chances of getting hard bricked from a bad bootloader install are practically nonexistent.

The KFU uses 'fbmode' to boot into fastboot. If you are able to boot into fastboot using the KFU, there is no need to install it manually.

Also, contrary to popular belief, there is no need to go through the process of "rooting". All you need to do is "factory reset" in TWRP, then flash a ROM. If you want "root", but still want to keep the stock Amazon OS...factory reset, then install MoDaCo.

But whatever you do, don't forget to factory reset.

You sir, are a god among men. Worked flawlessly. Well, almost flawlessly, because screw TWRP. Doesn't work on the Nexus 10(EMMC issue reboots the tablet on data restore), and doesn't work on the KF(hangs when updating partitions). After flashing COTR everything is running swell on 4.3. Now I can update my signature! :victory:
Seriously, thank you! :D

goldflame09

Jul 23, 2012
CT
You sir, are a god among men. Worked flawlessly. Well, almost flawlessly, because screw TWRP. Doesn't work on the Nexus 10(EMMC issue reboots the tablet on data restore), and doesn't work on the KF(hangs when updating partitions). After flashing COTR everything is running swell on 4.3. Now I can update my signature! :victory:
Seriously, thank you! :D

If you goto twrp website 2.6 is out and works flawlessly

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: The following files ONLY work for the Original KF. Running this on a 2nd Generation KF will brick the device.

From Original thread:

Hi all, some of you may have seen my utility over in the de-bricking thread. My goal at this point is to try and make lives easier for everyone I can.

So what I have done is created a script that can be used to handle a lot of common things people may want, and I will continue to add things people request that I think would be easy, and beneficial. I just wanted to make this situation easier for the average person.

You will see how the tool detects you at the default screen, and can refresh it by hitting 0 at any menu to have it refresh ADB/Fastboot and see what mode the kindle is in.

Currently the tool comes packaged with the drivers required to operate ADB and Fastboot.

Please note: If your device can't be seen in fastboot mode, please make sure to install the drivers packaged with this, as it will show up afterwards. You can use the install_drivers.bat with the device plugged in for this.

Usage should be straight forward for the tool. If you are having issues with something, this tool has a good chance of getting you back on track.

Rooting has been tested with the latest update (6.3.2) and it works 100%. Be sure to have your device booted up in normal mode before running the root.

Features:
    • Automatic elevation to root for tool operations.
    • Full root install.
    • Auto detect current bootmode.
    • Auto Detect ADB/Fastboot Online/Offline.
    • Auto download update.zip from Amazon.
    • Auto download and install TWRP Recovery.
    • Auto download and install COTR Recovery.
    • Auto download and install FFF Bootloader.
    • Manage current bootmodes.
    • Manage Read/Write.
    • Install GoogleApps/Market/GoLauncherEX.
    • Lock/Unlock the Wallpaper from being changed.
      As of 3/16/2013:
    • Doesn't support CWM for now bad DL link and seems there is no updated, stable version.
    • Automated Dual-Boot installation and Un-Dual Boot
    • Choose Amazon Firmware to update to
    • More to come... This needs a bit of a code re-write from the things I added. Expect it to be updated soon.
    Please feel free to contact me if I should add even more features to this :)

Here are some screen-shots:

More to come...

Please leave a message if this tool does not help you, malfunctions, or just to say thank you, or request more features!

Don't forget to donate to teamwin for their awesome recovery system over at: Team Win Website

Current Downloads:

v0.9.9 Download

Older Downloads:

v0.9.8 Download

Changelog:
    Code:
    4/5/13: v0.9.9 now has an option to install COTR recovery. 
    Squashed a few bugs including the superuser.apk not 
    installing bug.

3/17/13: v0.9.8+ includes even more bug fixes from v0.9.8 
    and now implements the dual boot feature. 
    Please read the README.txt inside the zip.

3/16/13: A few major code bugs fixed. Removed DL link for v0.9.7 
    because of these bugs. 100% tested and working with everything.

3/15/13: Initial upload... v0.9.7

Credits: VashyPooh for script and permission to maintain.

Initial work by ubeezee & yareally on there forum thread.
    Full revert based off method from Clavin, "tweaked" by Vashypooh.
    Full credit of TWRP goes to Team Win for releasing an awesome tool! Good job guys.
    I checked with Dees_Troy prior to integrating TWRP install into the tool, and he was alright with it. If this changes, it will be changed or completely removed per their request.
    rooobbbbb on XDA for the Wallpaper Lock trick.
    Jolleyboy/Bandage on XDA for Android Market guide/ Android Apps.
    Sync settings found by Abramel @ XDA.
    Zeb for testing 0.9.4!

If you are asking for help and can't post here, please post in Q&A forums here.
    If you CAN post and are asking for help please provide some required information listed below to receive best solutions right away.

Provide:
    • Windows Verson
    • 32-bit or 64-bit
    • What steps you have taken
    • What device manager says about your device
    • Version of KFU you are using
    • Exact error you recieve
    Awesome! Will this work with Linux too?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk HD

Not yet but I do have plans ;)
    so i lost my root due to the update. tried rooting with the new kfu. well when i slected that option, i selected normal boot. the kindle rebooted. well after it reboot i acidently selected fastboot. the kindle rebooted and i cant get it past the kindle fire screen. now what do i do? please help.

UPDATE: i got it fix. i select the wrong command. it rebooted in to twrp after installing fff, twrp, and setting the recovery bootmode. rebooted and stil didnot achive root. what did i do wrong?

Don't know what you did... Try the root option again. Maybe it will work. Be sure to have run the install_drivers.bat and to double check what option you're selecting and have your kindle powered up and booted into normal mode before running the root option.

I tried to install permanent superuser to get my root back (that it had for 6.3.1) using the 2nd selection but I just have dual boot and no root!
    what happened?

What option did you select? Again, be sure to double check what you select and if you don't want dual boot run the un-dual boot option, then re-run the root option.

To all users:
    This utility has been tested thoroughly. There is no reason to have such major issues if you: A. Follow directions properly and read the onscreen instructions. and B. Run the install_drivers.bat executable and install your drivers. then finally C. Have your device booted up into Normal mode before proceeding with installations unless you are bricked you can have your device in any mode to install TWRP and FFF... :p
    Just puttin that out there so there can be less questions here :)

Good luck to all of you.
    @soupmagnet

Okay first off, arguing with another developer about how well their "works" work will get you nowhere on this site and you put yourself at risk of getting a Moderator involved...but that's just some friendly advice from one user to another, so you can take it for what it's worth.

The point of directing you to your original post, where I had posted another link, was so you can educate yourself and have a better foundation that can empower you to make a more educated suggestion/bug report/whatever.

Having said that, if you used the information that you learned from that post, compared it to the way KFU's driver install package works, and respectfully offered a suggestion to the developer that can help to make the KFU work better in more situations, I'm absolutely positive you would get a better response from him and possibly even lead to an updated version that will work in yours and possibly other situations.
    Just picked up the my kindle fire 6.3.2- sorry for the neewb question, however I want to make sure I have the process correct.

download and extract utility to my pc
    run.bat
    install root and SU
    install TWRP
    install FFF
    install custom rom

Thank you for taking the time sorry for the questions

You got it right, except install drivers first before run.bat :p
    Then you just hit the root option and it will install FFF and TWRP on its own ;)

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda app-developers app