[Q] What is going on with my Notifications?

Search This thread

Darkness30XX

Apr 30, 2012
Miami
Hi.

I'm running Rooted Stock on my new S5 on T-Mobile. I have X-posed Framework and Gravity Box [KK]. Everything is running awesomely, except for one thing:

I've changed my UI sounds to all custom ones and I'm able to set a custom Ringtone for calls. However, when I go to set my Notification tone, it sets in Settings but won't play that sound when a Notification comes in, more direct, new Text Messages. Every other application that one could change their particular Notification sound does work, just not for texts. I've tried changing it in both Sound Settings and within the Message app but nothing. I want to see what options I have before going in and changing that UI sound to a custom one from the system folder.

Darkness30XX

Apr 30, 2012
Miami
That's a bit weird, have you messed with any kind of sound settings within gravity box? Some of the settings in their don't apply to the s5, well my S5 in that case.

Not at all. All sound settings are on Default through Gravity Box. My phone ring tone works just fine when changed in Settings but Notifications is being problematic.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 from some damn where....

Dweet

Apr 25, 2014
Orlando
Not at all. All sound settings are on Default through Gravity Box. My phone ring tone works just fine when changed in Settings but Notifications is being problematic.

Just trying to cover everything.. so your notification volume is at max as well and did u flash any mods on stock so far?

Darkness30XX

Apr 30, 2012
Miami
Just trying to cover everything.. so your notification volume is at max as well and did u flash any mods on stock so far?

No mods other than Xposed and Gravity Box. I just tried it again and my new sound played for one message then went back to the default Whistle. **** is aggravating man.

Dweet

Apr 25, 2014
Orlando
No mods other than Xposed and Gravity Box. I just tried it again and my new sound played for one message then went back to the default Whistle. **** is aggravating man.

Sorry to hear bro.. I don't want to say this but did you try a factory reset? If that won't do it I would recommend to odin back to stock firmware and see if It works without rooting. BTW which root method did you do? I know your trying to avoid that so hopefully the factory reset will work?

Darkness30XX

Apr 30, 2012
Miami
Sorry to hear bro.. I don't want to say this but did you try a factory reset? If that won't do it I would recommend to odin back to stock firmware and see if It works without rooting. BTW which root method did you do? I know your trying to avoid that so hopefully the factory reset will work?

I rooted using the exploit released when the phone first came out. Also, it didn't work on Stock either. It just kept going back to default, like now. I figured if I rooted it, I'd have other ways to set it but nothing. It's weird as all hell.

Dweet

Apr 25, 2014
Orlando
I rooted using the exploit released when the phone first came out. Also, it didn't work on Stock either. It just kept going back to default, like now. I figured if I rooted it, I'd have other ways to set it but nothing. It's weird as all hell.

hmmmm.. have you tried another ROM other than stock yet? If not, in the development thread there is the "project infinity" ROM. I am currently running that and its smooth, no problems on my end. You should give it a shot since its already rooted. What I would do is odin back to stock and root by using the CF-root method. If that doesn't clear, try a different ROM.

Darkness30XX

Apr 30, 2012
Miami
hmmmm.. have you tried another ROM other than stock yet? If not, in the development thread there is the "project infinity" ROM. I am currently running that and its smooth, no problems on my end. You should give it a shot since its already rooted. What I would do is odin back to stock and root by using the CF-root method. If that doesn't clear, try a different ROM.

I'll give the ROM a shot. I did use the CM-Root method.

Darkness30XX

Apr 30, 2012
Miami
So, I've had a development. A bad one, actually. After trying the ROM, any custom Notifications I try to load play a generic tone from Samsung. Also, now my UI sounds the worked before won't play. So, now I'm at less than what I started with.

EDIT: Got it work. I had to set each audio files permission through Root Explorer. I found this thread that explains it.

Last edited:

Dweet

Apr 25, 2014
Orlando
So, I've had a development. A bad one, actually. After trying the ROM, any custom Notifications I try to load play a generic tone from Samsung. Also, now my UI sounds the worked before won't play. So, now I'm at less than what I started with.

EDIT: Got it work. I had to set each audio files permission through Root Explorer. I found this thread that explains it.

Wow.. so still stock? Crazy.

Dweet

Apr 25, 2014
Orlando
Yeah. Went back to stock. Had a tough time getting back because I couldn't restore my Nandroid backup and the ROM screwed up too. Had to use Kies to restore back to factory and ROOT again. But now, everything is running awesomely.

Well at least you got it running again, lol.. all is well til we dare flash another ROM haha