[Q] TWRP + OTA update = bootloop! help needed!

Search This thread

alekos1992

May 4, 2014
Athens
Hello everyone,

Today showed up on my Gpad an update that automatically started to download.
So I thought ''if it is downloading, why don't I give it a try?''
Big mistake. :(
I am rooted with TWRP 2.7.0.0 and stock 4.4.2 rom..
My Gpad after I press confirm it tried to reboot. After the device shut down and try to power on, it stuck in a bootloop on TWRP.
Every time I try to power it off and then power it back on it starts on TWRP and stay there even if I press reboot on TWRP it does the same loop.
After this idiotic move of mine I would like to have help from someone who knows how to restore the device..
Also is there any way to restore the device in TWRP or to do the update manually from the file that is already downloaded in my device
(from TWRP)?

Any help would be very very appreciated! :D

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
Hello everyone,

My Gpad after I press confirm it tried to reboot. After the device shut down and try to power on, it stuck in a bootloop on TWRP.
Every time I try to power it off and then power it back on it starts on TWRP and stay there even if I press reboot on TWRP it does the same loop.
After this idiotic move of mine I would like to have help from someone who knows how to restore the device..
Also is there any way to restore the device in TWRP or to do the update manually from the file that is already downloaded in my device
(from TWRP)?

Did you not make a back up after rooting your tablet? If so, simply restore from your backup.

jarod004

Jun 25, 2014
generally, it is advised that before you update a rooted device's ROM, to create a nandroid backup first, just to be sure. As OTA's from non-OEM's aren't as stable as OEM's, nor do they provide warranty if you get stuck in a boot loop. To fix the issue, download your ROM image to the "root" of your microSD, go to recovery, wipe cache/dalvik cache, then try to install the ROM image. If it still fails, I'm afraid you may need to do a fresh install (wipe the device fully, before making a fresh install of your ROM.). This should fix your problem, though you loose your data. Unfortunately, thats one of the risks of modifying our devices. One that I had to learn the hard way (by hard, I mean hard brick).

At any rate, hope this helps. :)

alekos1992

May 4, 2014
Athens
Thanks for the quick reply guys!
I have not made a backup of my files.
So now I'm downloading slimkat for a little change.. :p

(also is there a way to create a backup of my files with TWRP and restore them on Slimkat?)

[UPDATE]

I wiped cache / dalvik and then install the Slimkat ROM but the same problem persists, then I did a factory reset from TWRP
and then install the ROM, but still the same :(

Is there any way to unroot your device from the PC?

Last edited:

jarod004

Jun 25, 2014
Thanks for the quick reply guys!
I have not made a backup of my files.
So now I'm downloading slimkat for a little change.. :p

(also is there a way to create a backup of my files with TWRP and restore them on Slimkat?)

I don't have my tablet with me to check for you, however, I am pretty sure I found a file explorer within TWRP. Perhaps you may be able to copy from there. Explore the tool abit its quite user friendly and well made. Otherwise, you can make a nandroid backup to create a full backup of your system and try to extract from PC via WinRAR (if the backup is in tar), or some explorer app... see below for details:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2262350

or this one:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2099493

hope this helps

Last edited:

alekos1992

May 4, 2014
Athens
I don't have my tablet with me to check for you, however, I am pretty sure I found a file explorer within TWRP. Perhaps you may be able to copy from there. Explore the tool abit its quite user friendly and well made. Otherwise, you can make a nandroid backup to create a full backup of your system and try to extract from PC via WinRAR (if the backup is in tar), or some explorer app... see below for details:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2262350

or this one:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2099493

hope this helps

Thanks for the tip, I'm sure it will help me in a future failure! :eek:

I have already done everything you said without succeeding anything ,so I'm trying to un-brick it with LG's support tool
and I can not get it to recognize my connected Gpad, so I put manually the model and serial number but still it can't see any connected devices...
Now I'm 100% stuck :/

jarod004

Jun 25, 2014
Thanks for the tip, I'm sure it will help me in a future failure! :eek:

I have already done everything you said without succeeding anything ,so I'm trying to un-brick it with LG's support tool
and I can not get it to recognize my connected Gpad, so I put manually the model and serial number but still it can't see any connected devices...
Now I'm 100% stuck :/

sorry for what happened. have you tried to wipe all data, and all cache then try to do a fresh rom installation? I am not sure why LG cannot see your device. But a wild guess is its something about your recovery because its no longer stock perhaps???

if you can reach recovery, you should be able to fix the issue by wiping all the data (except external SD), wiping all cache (including dalvik), then install your custom ROM. Have happened to me already although different cause from yours but I was still able to restore it although I did loose all my data. But as I said before, its the price to pay for tinkering with our devices.

alekos1992

May 4, 2014
Athens
Damn!! I read to late your answer, I install a couple of minutes ago the complete stock 4.4.2 V50020d from LG's support tool.
In a previous post I said I was stuck but not really.. I forgot that I have to press volume + and volume - while connectiong the USB cable to enter download mode :p

But everyone having the same problem with me should really give a try to what JaymZ37 said above.
Peace to everyone and thanks for your replies!

kartasos

Jan 27, 2009
Thessaloniki
Soloution for Boot Loop problem on LG Gpad V500

Hello everyone,

(from TWRP)?

Yesterday its hapen to me the same ptoblem.......

after searching i fount the soloution and they work perfect !!!!

>>>>>>>
I saw this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...load-mode.html

"What worked for me was from the TWRP terminal command to the Root folder and was type

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota
(they have space on ....... dd_if=/dev/zero_of=dev....... only)
then hit enter

type

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc
(the same here)
then hit enter and reboot."
<<<<<<<<<

Last edited:

heliox

Aug 16, 2010
Here's the original solution given in our forum:
[FIX] Installed TWRP and now you're stuck after OTA?
And the additional command was given in this post by brentkhack:
What worked for me was from the TWRP terminal command was to type

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota

then hit enter

type

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc

then hit enter and reboot.

got help from the IRC xda-devs for the second step to complete the fix.

Top Liked Posts