New Opera Mini 5 and Latest Jbed all-in-one cab

Search This thread

optyqus

Sep 8, 2007
Romania, NT
Trying to make things easier with Opera Mini 5 java (as the native WM Opera Mini is still beta and has some issues), I created a cab which spares you of headaches. I'm aware that there are other similar project in the forums, but this one is a little bit different.

This cab contains:
- latest Esmertect Jbed Java (20090506) (credits to Agrab)
- Opera Mini 5 final, presigned - it will ask no permissions
- Mortscript 2.5 and a connection script- this will automatically initialize your default internet connection when clicking the Opera Mini shortcut, thus saving some seconds of waiting times.

INSTRUCTIONS:

- If you already have Opera Mini 5 installed and don't wan
t to loose your data (bookmarks, quicklinks), before installing my cab go to Opera Mini>Settings, click Opera Link and create an account (this is fast and easy). Than login and synchronize your data.
- Important: if you already have Opera Mini and jbed installed, uninstall them and navigate to Windows folder and delete the appdb folder. Note that you will loose any other java apps installed.
- Install the right cab for your device (it will automatically install into internal memory)

- Perform a reboot, to allow registry updating.

- Enter Opera Mini>Settings>Opera Link, login and synchronise your data.

NOTES:

There are two versions of the cab:
- W/QVGA version - this one has the classic logo of Opera Mini as shortcut image in start menu, and is more suitable for low res devices. However, it works ok on W/VGA too.
-W/VGA version - this one uses the Opera icon part of Anastasia Iconset created by Dinik. This version is wm6.5/6.5.x only!
The font sizes are optimized for high resolution. If you encounter problems, post them here.
In this version of Jbed you are able to select all text in fullscreen edit mode by performing a double click. You can copy it if you use a keyboard which has copy-paste function (like Touchpal).

NEW RELEASE (April 22nd ):

• - replaced Opera Mini 5.0.18365 with the very latest build 5.0.18741
    - fixed security tap notification; now Opera Mini will install itself when clicking it's shortcut the first time.
    - fixed the qvga cab; now you should have the right font sizes on qvga devices;
    - these updates should fix the login issue reported in this thread
    - I strongly suggest to all users who downloaded the previous versions to uninstall them and upgrade with these ones

UPDATE (April 27th )- ADDED CABS FOR MORE LANGUAGES:

For now, I only had the time to modify the WVGA version of my cab for 7 different languages. Will modify the QVGA cab for these languages as needed (by requests). If your language is not here, make a request; I'll consider to add other languages only based on at least 3 requests per language (however, I cannot promise).

DOWNLOAD
-Deutsch, Greek, Italian and Romanian see post #4 to get the cabs
-Polish, Russian and Swedish check post #6 to download

Known bugs:
- Esmertec Jbed doesn't respond well on screen rotation, occasionaly making Opera Mini bars go under system bars (this is a jbed problem). To make opera go back to normal exit the program (without closing it) and re-enter by clicking its shortcut in start menu (or Sense link ,today shortcut etc). recommend you deactivate G-sensor rotation for Jbed. To have Opera Mini in landscape just use it's dedicated option (under Opera's settings menu).
- on rare occasions Opera Mini refuses to connect. Just try again, it'll work.
- I noticed Opera Mini has problems with uploading long texts (it's a problem related to browsing timeouts). If you use it to post messages on forums, my advice is that you copy your text before you press the "Submit/Post" button. Sometimes you may find out that after you pressed submit, the browser just brings you to the last page, and your text has gone. This can be painful when you wrote a long text... but if you have copied it, it's easy to go again and just paste, then submit the text.

Attachments

• OperaMini5+Jbed_WVGA_wm6.5-fixed.cab
    3.4 MB · Views: 4,076
  • OperaMini5+Jbed_QVGA-fixed.cab
    3.4 MB · Views: 2,913
Last edited:

ascary

Aug 9, 2008
Congratulations man! I'll finish up the final version, to test the worth of your proposed applications. Keep up the good work.

optyqus

Sep 8, 2007
Romania, NT
OK, I modified the WVGA version of my cab with Opera Mini in few different languages. Now the cabs are compressed. Each cab is tested on my device. To install, please uninstall previous versions and delete "appdb" folder within Windows directory.

Attachments

• OperaMini5+Jbed_WVGA_wm6.5_DEUTSCH.cab
    1.8 MB · Views: 156
  • OperaMini5+Jbed_WVGA_wm6.5_GREEK.cab
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
  • OperaMini5+Jbed_WVGA_wm6.5_ITALIANO.cab
    1.8 MB · Views: 103
  • OperaMini5+Jbed_WVGA_wm6.5_ROMANIAN.cab
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:

optyqus

Sep 8, 2007
Romania, NT
OK, thank you!
PS: by creating this thread I didn't intend to hijack other people work. I just found my own way of compiling Opera Mini and Jbed in a convenient way and wanted to share this with the community.

Added cabs for Russian, Polish and Swedish:

Attachments

• OperaMini5+Jbed_WVGA_wm6.5_POLSKI.cab
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
  • OperaMini5+Jbed_WVGA_wm6.5_RUSSIAN.cab
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
  • OperaMini5+Jbed_WVGA_wm6.5_SVENSKA.cab
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

rileyd5

May 6, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hello,

I used this cab and logged into a ppcgeeks account. logged out and an hour later logged in, took me to someone else's account on PPGgeeks. so I was logged in as another user. This may be a problem especially if other users are logging in to more secure sites. Just wanted to let you know.

optyqus

Sep 8, 2007
Romania, NT
@Cerberus_tm, just go to this registry: HKLM\Software\Apps\Esmertec Java\Device Info\Java Font and change the values inside these 3 keys:
-Size large: 32 (change it to somewhere between 22-26);
-Size Medium: 28 (change it to 18 or 20)
-Size small: 23 (change it to 16 or less)
Do a reset , than go to opera mini settings and choose your font size. Now you should have the right font sizes for your qvga screen.

Hello,

I used this cab and logged into a ppcgeeks account. logged out and an hour later logged in, took me to someone else's account on PPGgeeks. so I was logged in as another user. This may be a problem especially if other users are logging in to more secure sites. Just wanted to let you know.
How strange! I must admit that this happened to me too once! I wanted to login to my xda account, but apparently the browser logged me into somebody else's account (I don't recall the nickname). I immediately logged out and tried again and this time it logged me in correctly, in my account. That was kinda' creepy, you know...
However, my cab contains clean components, like many other opera mini and jbed builds. Something tells me the problem comes from opera servers and this is why I strongly suggest to all users not to use Opera Mini to login to their sensitive accounts (paypal, ebay etc), as sending and receiving data through intermediate servers is very unsafe.
To all downloaders, if you encounter this nasty problem occuring when using this build of opera mini, please report here immediately, I'll take the necessary measures.

Last edited:

totriz

Aug 12, 2009
Buin
the login issue it happened to me just now when login into gmail.
the second time I opened gmail it showed me some other user inbox.

I remember that the last time I used opera mini java, it asked me to press on the touchscreen or type random letters to create some sort of unique key to increase security.
maybe you (accidentaly) disabled this on your cab?
the last time I used the java version was one of the betas, so maybe this random key is no longer needed on the final version.

edit: I tried the final version of opera mini with jbed and installing manually, and indeed it asked me to tap the touchscreen randomly to improve security. after that (and changing my gmail password) I have not encountered the login-as-other-user issue (yet)

Last edited:

rlxhkn

Sep 28, 2008
I can assure you it's not the same. My cab uses Mortscript to do autoconnect, and you don't have to do the crappy job with that "selector.utf" file, as the jar file is pre-signed and the application will ask the permissions only the first time it connects/downloads/reads user data.

unfortunately does not remember passwords

optyqus

Sep 8, 2007
Romania, NT
the login issue it happened to me just now when login into gmail.
the second time I opened gmail it showed me some other user inbox.

I remember that the last time I used opera mini java, it asked me to press on the touchscreen or type random letters to create some sort of unique key to increase security.
maybe you (accidentaly) disabled this on your cab?
the last time I used the java version was one of the betas, so maybe this random key is no longer needed on the final version.

edit: I tried the final version of opera mini with jbed and installing manually, and indeed it asked me to tap the touchscreen randomly to improve security. after that (and changing my gmail password) I have not encountered the login-as-other-user issue (yet)

Thank you for your post, it gave me an idea on what could be the cause of the problem. As the opera mini contained in this cab is practically preinstalled, it will not ask to do the security screen taps. I'll study a way on how to bring back those security taps, it appears they are indeed important. Again, thank you.
I removed the cabs from first post in order to prevent further downloading, I will re-upload them as soon as I find a fix in the matter.

optyqus

Sep 8, 2007
Romania, NT
OK, first post updated with fixed cabs (or at least I hope so :D). The nasty login bug should be history now. Please read carefully the install instructions, they're updated accordingly to this latest release.

jbh00jh

Oct 7, 2007
Columbia, SC
How about the option to install on hard drive or memory card . And option to set as default browser. Great app , you did a great job on this.