Need help adjusting as iPhone 5S user with a Nexus 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

barkmarkin

Jan 22, 2009
Orlando
Hi guys, I just layed my 5S to the side for a Nexus 5, I use a Retina Macbook Pro with 10.9.2, I used an HTC One before the 5S, Its good to be back!, Well sound quality leaves alot to be desired but besides that, my BIGGEST PROBLEM, is that I cannot have screen wake up with notifications on the Nexus 5,

Also i would like to root my Nexus 5, and install a custom ROM

Since I don't know how on my Mac, can you guys help me out? Thanks in advance!

Also WHAT IS THE BEST ROM, Performance wise, Battery and quickness etc radio, I Want to get the most out of my Nexus 5... but also get the features I want

I can't live without screen waking up and showing notifications on lock screen like it does in iOS

also I wish this were louder!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Elluel

Jan 14, 2014
えうれる
Hi guys, I just layed my 5S to the side for a Nexus 5, I use a Retina Macbook Pro with 10.9.2, I used an HTC One before the 5S, Its good to be back!, Well sound quality leaves alot to be desired but besides that, my BIGGEST PROBLEM, is that I cannot have screen wake up with notifications on the Nexus 5,

Also WHAT IS THE BEST ROM, Performance wise, Battery and quickness etc radio, I Want to get the most out of my Nexus 5... but also get the features I want

I can't live without screen waking up and showing notifications on lock screen like it does in iOS

To unlock the bootloader and root, see here and here.

There is NO "best" ROM nor kernel. Which is best for you is your own personal opinion. There are a large variety to choose from, and the Nexus 5 is a developer device so you'll have to problem flashing to your heart's content.

As for lockscreen notifications, enable lockscreen widgets and try out Dashclock.

Last edited by a moderator:

dannyglad17

Feb 3, 2014

I'd suggest carbon ROM and the elementalx kernel. Carbon ROM is one of the most feature filled ROMs out there and includes lockscreen notifications. Although I'm sure other ROM's include it. Nimrodity's ROM comparison spreadsheet (Original thread) is a great resource to compare Roms with. I also suggest elementalx because of its massively improved battery life while sleeping or idling all the while not degrading performance (at least not to the degree to which I can detect).

Hope I was helpful!

Reactions: CrypticRook

barkmarkin

Jan 22, 2009
Orlando
Thanks! all i want is a good stable stock rom with ability to delete **** i dont need

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ryanwalexander

Dec 10, 2011
Xposed framework allows for most custom ROM features without actually flashing a custom ROM. Check it out. +1 on elementalx, it's great though I haven't had as much success with the newer versions as the older ones.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

EnIXmA

Feb 16, 2012
Mississauga, on
I use notify me app from the play store, which does essentially the exact same thing that you are looking for to wake up the screen on notifications.
I love Xjparadroid ROM as it has halo, is really smooth and also got pie... Franco and Elemental x are my two favorite kernels.

After rooting, just flash the mod to increase the volume levels in the themes section. It does increase the volume by approx. 50%

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

wedgess

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 23, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
www.pac-rom.com
We do not allow best ROM/Kernel threads on XDA. Developers do not like seeing their work compared to others along with the fact that everyone has their own opinions. What's best for you may not be what is best for someone else. Best advice is to head over to the development section try some out and see which best suits your needs.

Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'd suggest carbon ROM and the elementalx kernel. Carbon ROM is one of the most feature filled ROMs out there and includes lockscreen notifications. Although I'm sure other ROM's include it. Nimrodity's ROM comparison spreadsheet (Original thread) is a great resource to compare Roms with. I also suggest elementalx because of its massively improved battery life while sleeping or idling all the while not degrading performance (at least not to the degree to which I can detect).

Hope I was helpful!