Files from LG's Open Source Center

Search This thread
Jun 16, 2010
Fox River Grove, IL
I figured that a shortcut to these on here is best.

First is the file which seems to contain the proprietary data for Froyo

Froyo Data

Next we have the Kernel source code

Kernel Source Code

Last but not least here is the text from the readme file.

How to build

1. Android build

(1) Get the android base source code.
- Download the original android source code (Android 2.2.2 Froyo) from http://source.android.com

(2) Overwrite modules that you want to build.
- Untar opensource packages of star_lgp999_froyo.tar.gz into downloaded android source directory
- And, merge the source into the android source code(froyo)

(3) Run the build scripts.
- You have to add google original prebuilt source(toolchain) before running build scripts.
- Run the following scripts to build android
a) . ./build/envsetup.sh
b) choosecombo 1 1 generic 1
c) make -j4
into the android folder
- If the android is built sucessfully, you will find the outputs in this directory,
"out/target/product/generic".

2. Kernel Build

(1) Untar using following command at the android folder
- tar xvfz star_lgp999_kernel.tar.gz

(2) Execute make.
- Set the compile environment
- gcc 4.4.3
- Ubuntu 10.04.1
- cd kernel
- make star_android_defconfig ARCH=arm
- make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=../prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.3.1/bin/arm-eabi-
- make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=../prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.3.1/bin/arm-eabi- zImage
- If the kernel is built sucessfully, you will find the build images in this directory,
"arch/arm/boot"

How to use dosfsck

1. NAME
dosfsck - check and repair MS-DOS file systems

2. build
- build with your host PC compiler, eg. arm-gcc
- dosfsck needs header files from dosfs.9 (or later) to compile.

3. install
- simply just copy output(dosfsck) at your target device
- and execute dosfsck with some options

4. usage: dosfsck [-aAflrtvVwy] [-d path -d ...] [-u path -u ...]
device
-a automatically repair the file system
-A toggle Atari file system format
-d path drop that file
-f salvage unused chains to files
-l list path names
-n no-op, check non-interactively without changing
-p same as -a, for compat with other *fsck
-r interactively repair the file system
-t test for bad clusters
-u path try to undelete that (non-directory) file
-v verbose mode
-V perform a verification pass
-w write changes to disk immediately
-y same as -a, for compat with other *fsck

-example
#/system/bin/dosfsck -v -w -p /dev/block/mmcblk1p1

you can get more information with man page.
#man dosfsck

DataJunkie

Apr 21, 2011
Brooklyn
Is it normal for a company to release code this easily? I come from the Samsung Vibrant forums and it was a running joke as to how long it would take for them to release new code.

tgerbracht

Jan 15, 2008
I knew the g2x was superior to the Pyramid/Sensation because of the pure Google experience. This is ridiculously open source considering I too came from the Vibrant and Samsung waited months and months to release any source code.

peacekeeper05

Dec 22, 2010
Velenzuela, Metro Manila
Seriously? I did hear rumors about T-Mobile being in touch with the developer of CM.

Yeah. The official T-MO twitter account had a conversation with cyanogen. T-mo tweeted cyanogen how excited they are too see cyanogen's work for g2x. T-mo actually tweeted too that they will give cyanogen a free g-slate so that cyan can play with it too. Wish every carrier would be as supportive as t-mo

Edit: the link to t-mo's tweet is posted above

momentarylapseofreason

Apr 29, 2007
Chicago
I concur.....from my perspective, this is how it should be.....With the Vibrant, I regretted my investment. So far with the G2X I don't feel that way....:cool:

T-Mobile was very smart here. Instead of playing a cat and mouse game with developers, they are embracing it. They probably realize the costs of locking down phones just to have them cracked anyway is not worth it. Instead, work alongside the development community and improve upon the phones.

1,000 brains are better than the few that work for them.

Reactions: Vision77

peacekeeper05

Dec 22, 2010
Velenzuela, Metro Manila
T-Mobile was very smart here. Instead of playing a cat and mouse game with developers, they are embracing it. They probably realize the costs of locking down phones just to have them cracked anyway is not worth it. Instead, work alongside the development community and improve upon the phones.

So we can assume HTC was lying when they said that it was the carriers that are pushing them to lock the bootloader. Cause if thats the case G2x too would have a locked bootloader cause the sensation and g2x are both on t-mobile.

momentarylapseofreason

Apr 29, 2007
Chicago
So we can assume HTC was lying when they said that it was the carriers that are pushing them to lock the bootloader. Cause if thats the case G2x too would have a locked bootloader cause the sensation and g2x are both on t-mobile.

Why would HTC be lying? Companies (ie T-Mobile) pay the vendors to lock things down. I fail to see your logic here. T-mobile and other telcos were (and are) paying the phone manufacturers to lock the phones.

Even companies like Sony outsource security attempts. It is a frivolous and wasteful use of their funds.

peacekeeper05

Dec 22, 2010
Velenzuela, Metro Manila
Why would HTC be lying? Companies (ie T-Mobile) pay the vendors to lock things down. I fail to see your logic here. T-mobile and other telcos were (and are) paying the phone manufacturers to lock the phones.

Even companies like Sony outsource security attempts. It is a frivolous and wasteful use of their funds.

Lol. My post above was just a mere speculation. No need to get angry and defensive. My logic is just simple, why lg w/ the same carrier(t-mo) has their phones unlocked and why htc with their sensation(also on t-mo) has a locked bootloader. Htc said t-mo pushed them to do it and they don't have any choice.

momentarylapseofreason

Apr 29, 2007
Chicago
Lol. My post above was just a mere speculation. No need to get angry and defensive. My logic is just simple, why lg w/ the same carrier(t-mo) has their phones unlocked and why htc with their sensation(also on t-mo) has a locked bootloader. Htc said t-mo pushed them to do it and they don't have any choice.

Not trying to sound angry or defensive. I just didn't see your point. I think that after Tmo's take on phones like the Nexus One and now the G2X, HTC and others might get in the ballgame with keeping the phones easily unlockable.

T-Mobile did push companies to lock em down for customer service related issues, but I think times are a changin'

cyberchuck9000

Sep 18, 2009
Not trying to sound angry or defensive. I just didn't see your point. I think that after Tmo's take on phones like the Nexus One and now the G2X, HTC and others might get in the ballgame with keeping the phones easily unlockable.

T-Mobile did push companies to lock em down for customer service related issues, but I think times are a changin'

I don't buy that for a second. The G2X and Sensation have been in the pipeline at the exact same time, it makes no sense for T-Mo to be telling HTC one thing and LG another at the same time.

I was a big HTC fan for a while, but I smell BS from their end.

momentarylapseofreason

Apr 29, 2007
Chicago
I don't buy that for a second. The G2X and Sensation have been in the pipeline at the exact same time, it makes no sense for T-Mo to be telling HTC one thing and LG another at the same time.

I was a big HTC fan for a while, but I smell BS from their end.

I know for certain that telcos were asking for a lock-down on the phones. There is really no reason for HTC to lock it up since they're not dealing with customer service issues outside of hardware. The telcos, on the other hand, do have to deal with people bricking phones etc because they don't know what they're doing.

Consider HTC's Nexus One, Google asked it to be unlockable and it was.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I figured that a shortcut to these on here is best.

First is the file which seems to contain the proprietary data for Froyo

Froyo Data

Next we have the Kernel source code

Kernel Source Code

Last but not least here is the text from the readme file.

How to build

1. Android build

(1) Get the android base source code.
    - Download the original android source code (Android 2.2.2 Froyo) from http://source.android.com

(2) Overwrite modules that you want to build.
    - Untar opensource packages of star_lgp999_froyo.tar.gz into downloaded android source directory
    - And, merge the source into the android source code(froyo)

(3) Run the build scripts.
    - You have to add google original prebuilt source(toolchain) before running build scripts.
    - Run the following scripts to build android
    a) . ./build/envsetup.sh
    b) choosecombo 1 1 generic 1
    c) make -j4
    into the android folder
    - If the android is built sucessfully, you will find the outputs in this directory,
    "out/target/product/generic".

2. Kernel Build

(1) Untar using following command at the android folder
    - tar xvfz star_lgp999_kernel.tar.gz

(2) Execute make.
    - Set the compile environment
    - gcc 4.4.3
    - Ubuntu 10.04.1
    - cd kernel
    - make star_android_defconfig ARCH=arm
    - make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=../prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.3.1/bin/arm-eabi-
    - make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=../prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.3.1/bin/arm-eabi- zImage
    - If the kernel is built sucessfully, you will find the build images in this directory,
    "arch/arm/boot"

How to use dosfsck

1. NAME
    dosfsck - check and repair MS-DOS file systems

2. build
    - build with your host PC compiler, eg. arm-gcc
    - dosfsck needs header files from dosfs.9 (or later) to compile.

3. install
    - simply just copy output(dosfsck) at your target device
    - and execute dosfsck with some options

4. usage: dosfsck [-aAflrtvVwy] [-d path -d ...] [-u path -u ...]
    device
    -a automatically repair the file system
    -A toggle Atari file system format
    -d path drop that file
    -f salvage unused chains to files
    -l list path names
    -n no-op, check non-interactively without changing
    -p same as -a, for compat with other *fsck
    -r interactively repair the file system
    -t test for bad clusters
    -u path try to undelete that (non-directory) file
    -v verbose mode
    -V perform a verification pass
    -w write changes to disk immediately
    -y same as -a, for compat with other *fsck

-example
    #/system/bin/dosfsck -v -w -p /dev/block/mmcblk1p1

you can get more information with man page.
    #man dosfsck
    I concur.....from my perspective, this is how it should be.....With the Vibrant, I regretted my investment. So far with the G2X I don't feel that way....:cool: