[Q] Alternate method of carrier unlocking?

Search This thread

Ttongsul

Jun 26, 2014
This is the only thing left to solve for a working phone. AT&T branded E980, but trying to use another carrier. Entering code "2945#*980#" gets me to the "SIM unlock process" 5 category unlock screen. They are all clickable, but the message "Your phone is not personalized" pops up on all of them, with the unlock code area grayed out, & then a "dismiss" message pops up. I can't enter an unlock code in a grayed out screen. With all of the software available, there must be one that allows USB unlocking. Can someone please point me in the right direction, even if I have to pay to have it done.

Last edited:

shayneflashindaily

Sep 15, 2012
Hendersonville NC
This is the only thing left to solve for a working phone. AT&T branded E980, but trying to use another carrier. Entering code "2945#*980#" gets me to the "SIM unlock process" 5 category unlock screen. They are all clickable, but the message "Your phone is not personalized" pops up on all of them, with the unlock code area grayed out, & then a "dismiss" message pops up. I can't enter an unlock code in a grayed out screen. With all of the software available, there must be one that allows USB unlocking. Can someone please point me in the right direction, even if I have to pay to have it done.

Are there not unlock sites anymore ? I bought mine unlocked and haven't unlocked a phone since my note i717

2SHAYNEZ

Ttongsul

Jun 26, 2014
Are there not unlock sites anymore ? I bought mine unlocked and haven't unlocked a phone since my note i717

2SHAYNEZ

What good is a code if you can't access the unlock screen because it's grayed out? BTW, I may have not been crystal clear in other started posts, but I did buy it unlocked, even though it wasn't what we would consider unlocked, & the vendor wont admit it wasn't fully unlocked. I made the mistake of having played with it since then (my mistake), figuring it was returnable, but can't get around the grayed out code unlock screen.

Ttongsul

Jun 26, 2014
Sent the phone out for warranty service. Received it back a few days ago with a voided warranty & a SOL message. Not happy. Today I looked for a local business that could help out. It was a fun day running around to different cell phone stores that listed unlocking as a service. I finally found one that knew what they were doing. They claimed the phone was already unlocked, & tried an AT&T prepaid SIM to test it. After it passed that test, all it took was a call to Metro to register the IMEI on their network, & then entering the correct APN numbers. I now have a fully functioning E980. As for the seller & the warranty center, pretty obvious they don't have a clue & need some lessons on customer service.

Ttongsul

Jun 26, 2014
So you needed the APN set lol

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Free mobile app

Ahhhh...... No. I figured out what the APN was from my other phone & entered it manually. It's the same one that's in there now, so it was a different problem causing the non-connection. The phone automatically found both AT&T, MPCS, & some other unidentifiable networks by searching. It wouldn't automatically connect, then it timed out. Then when the APN was manually entered it would save, but still wouldn't connect. It had to be registered manually with MPCS, through MPCS, & by MPCS. In fact, when I popped the SIM card in & started the phone, it would find MPCS, the company icon would briefly show on the screen, & then it would disconnect. After they registered the IMEI, it took a couple of minutes to find the phone over the network & connect. It's all good now.

Reactions: shayneflashindaily

cougar214

May 16, 2011
Just so you know, if you are getting the "Your phone is not personalized" message, that means the phone is already network unlocked.

Ttongsul

Jun 26, 2014
Just so you know, if you are getting the "Your phone is not personalized" message, that means the phone is already network unlocked.

There was some confusion about that in other forum posts, because the wording wasn't exact compared known unlocked conditions. It can now be added to that group of known unlocked terms.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So you needed the APN set lol

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Free mobile app

Ahhhh...... No. I figured out what the APN was from my other phone & entered it manually. It's the same one that's in there now, so it was a different problem causing the non-connection. The phone automatically found both AT&T, MPCS, & some other unidentifiable networks by searching. It wouldn't automatically connect, then it timed out. Then when the APN was manually entered it would save, but still wouldn't connect. It had to be registered manually with MPCS, through MPCS, & by MPCS. In fact, when I popped the SIM card in & started the phone, it would find MPCS, the company icon would briefly show on the screen, & then it would disconnect. After they registered the IMEI, it took a couple of minutes to find the phone over the network & connect. It's all good now.