[BUG] Vertical lines, blob, circles, pixelation on screen on some phones

Search This thread

dimitrie

Oct 7, 2011
Sooo I exchanged mine tonight & the new one is even worse :'(

I'm gonna try again tomorrow. This phone is so amazing, it's so depressing that it has such a major flaw. I'm pretty convinced too that it's just the nature of the screen, but that it definitely varies from device to device. I'm also convinced that people who claim to have no lines simply can't see them. Most of the employees at the T-Mo store couldn't see them either, only one guy could tell that my screen wasn't as clear as their display model's(which didn't have any visible lines).

Aaargh >.<

Is there any way to find out what the manufacture date on each phone is? I'm hoping that it's just a bad batch.

The date should be on the bottom of the box. Mine is 9/29/11 and it alao has the lines.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

T

The_Biz

Mine has them and the date is 9/28. Im gonna exchange mine tomorrow. For the 300 odd dollars I spent, I ain't gonna have a flawed screen. Mine is pretty bad and its mainly the right side of the screen.

Krooked22

Sep 1, 2010
I am sure this is a software issue, some of it is the hardware but new updates wil fix and better this

The same happened with the International version

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA Premium App

kabuk1

Mine has them and the date is 9/28. Im gonna exchange mine tomorrow. For the 300 odd dollars I spent, I ain't gonna have a flawed screen. Mine is pretty bad and its mainly the right side of the screen.

It's the right side on mine too. In fact, the entire top right corner seems slightly lighter than the rest of the screen. This really needs to be brought to Samsung's attention, this is a big problem.

The date on my new one is 9/30. It's wierd, the lines on this one are much worse but the colors are also much more vibrant. The last one also had a yellowish tint while this one doesn't.

Last edited:

Krooked22

Sep 1, 2010
color banding sucks, its prevelant on all the super amoled plus screens.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA Premium App

T

The_Biz

It's the right side on mine too. In fact, the entire top right corner seems slightly lighter than the rest of the screen. This really needs to be brought to Samsung's attention, this is a major issue.

Whole bottom right is the worst on mine. This sucks tbh.

$pitacular1

Sep 24, 2010
Los Angeles
It's easy to choose pics that will make this screen look bad..but coming from being a graphic artist and using the MT4G for a year prior to this (which had the same resolution but a smaller screen, and fantastic detail) there's nothing wrong with this phone. Use larger images with greater detail, avoid the stuff that looks bad (if it's a Web page who cares..seriously) and turn that damn auto brightness off - use about 65% to 70% brightness, HD pics with a lot of color, and I promise the screen is top notch. Don't blame the smaller ppi for an image's weaknesses.. Fine tune your themes/wallpapers/widgets.. Oh and btw screen shots are as simple add pressing power and home at the same time

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Last edited:

dimitrie

Oct 7, 2011
Has anyone tried calling Samsung about this? Taking it back to T-Mobile seems pointless at this point because you're probably gonna get one with the same problem.

T

The_Biz

It would ease my mind to see a thread or discussion of this problem on the original gs2.

$pitacular1

Sep 24, 2010
Los Angeles
For the record the "good"screen in the MT4G has color banding too..and yeah the retina screen on the iPhone? So small you can't notice.

heygrl

Nov 20, 2009
Las Vegassss
It's so minor on mines that you only notice it on extremely low brightness and in a dark room. So, I'm not exchanging it. It's really not that big of a deal to get caught up in. 30% brightness and it's a nonissue.

kabuk1

Then why is mine fine?

4ca6cfdc-b836-c3bf.jpg

Please let us know the date on yours. It's on the box.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My Story

(CHAPTER 1)
    I called Samsung many times, starting in December 2011 (When I first got my phone and noticed the "lines"). Finally, last month I got them to recognize this defect, at least I thought so, so I set up a Warranty.

They claimed the SGSII has a special turn-around time of 6 days, 2 days to get there, 2 days to "fix" it and 2 days to get it back into your hands.

They'll send you a UPS Label (Prepaid) 2nd Day Air.

I got it back, pretty much in the 6 days, but nothing changed, they updated my software (GEE THANKS, just what I was hoping for, lol). NOT FIXED!! NOT EVEN ADDRESSED!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

(CHAPTER 2)
    SO, I called right back and sent it right back to them, they promised to fix it and next day air it back to me. They told me to make it attention to "Repait Manager" (There is a special Galaxy SII Department - Ask for it, they might play dumb at first but ask for a Supervisor and they'll suddenly remember
    smile.gif
    )

Here's the info from my Repair Ticket (online at Sammy's Website):
    *02/01/2012//20:06:36//***********//Telephone//ASC*
    2/1/2012 7:05 PM-JK: The unit has left the technician. SOLUTION: Replaced LCD - Replaced Touchpanel
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

(CHAPTER 3)
    When I got it back that time, I popped it open, slid in my battery, clamped on the back, booted up and saw... the lines/streaks or course; a little worse this time, I feel.
    (A nice grey splotchy line across the top as an added bonus)

I immedietly called Sammy back and asked for the "Galaxy Dept".
    I got him up to speed on the whole story, and told him it still wasn't fixed, in fact a little worse this time. He told me to RMA it again, and make it Attention to him "Ellison"; he will call me when he has it in his hands and walk it over to the engineering dept (Supposedly).

I cleared all the stock shortcuts and widgets, set it to lowest brightness (Auto Brightness Off) and picked the wallpaper that showed the "Defect" the best. This is the second time I've gotten it back and had to immedietly box it back up and send it right back to Samsung.

Taking their sweet ole' time, as always. I know they received it last Friday morning. I call them almost everyday to harrass them, I think they are starting to "know" me, lol. (Which is good ;-)

I got a better # 18773924252 (1877EZ2GALAXY) direct to Galaxt Dept. (you still have to ask for "ECR" Executive Customer Relations)

I actually got Ellison on the phone again, he said he sent it over to the "Engineering Dept" to check out and will call me when he gets it back.
    (But, he also mentioned that "He didn't notice anything, when he had a peep at it) - well, that sounds promising doesn't it, lol...

I called a few more times and got an email address to the "ECR DEPT.", I sent over some great images/pictures, that show the "Defect" perfectly, so we'll see what happenes now.

Getting really pissed off, over a month without a phone and counting, so far...
    This thread is getting comical. Very amusing. It's to the point where people are going in pitch black rooms and looking for blobs with a microscope. I'm not saying there isn't an issue on some phones, but if you can give the phone to somebody who doesn't know about the issue, and tell them to turn it on, use it for a while, and then ask them what they think of the screen, and they says it's the best screen they ever seen (like every person I showed mine to) then you don't have an issue with yours. You shouldn't say you have an issue if you need to do all these circumstances to be able to see them. Just saying.

i ordered my phone on tmobile.com and called tmobile about this vertical line/brush issue.

i just reported this issue on the phone with a t-mobile rep. they said since the phone is still new and was just released it is not "recognized" as a warranty issue and they will not send me a replacement. they said since it is not "recognized" as a warranty issue as of YET, I have to send my phone all the way back to their return center in Texas and have them inspect it, verify it, and then send me a replacement.

While they do that, they requested i go to the local t-mobile store and pay a 50 dollar rental fee for another phone until the replacement comes back. I kept calm yet began to speak more firm and demanded to talk to a supervisor. All i got was more BS about how it's not a "recognized" warranty claim. i kept being put on hold as they seemed to be going back and forth with each other. I told them i wanted to cancel my t-mobile contract and they pleaded to me that it was part of their warranty policy.

moral of the story is don't buy a phone online from t-mobile and have to deal with returning the phone straight to their facility yourself. buy it at a local store and exchange one with no hassles as you can show a rep the problem firsthand. the first lady i talked to on the phone even recommended that i do that and said that she felt sorry for me and was just following some type of BS protocol on new phones.

what am i gonna do? probably use my blackberry or nexus s for the mean time as i mail the phone back to their Texas return facility.
    Hey all i had 3 sgs vibrants 2 now and 1 sgs 4g and now the sgs2 and i can definetly say the lines and black blotches are native to super amoled screens because i compared them.
    Has anyone with this problem returned theirs & gotten one without stretch marks? Trying to see if it's worth the drive to return it.