[GUIDE] Clean up your Vivid: easily root, install recovery image, remove Carrier IQ

Search This thread

dandv

Aug 6, 2006
California
wiki.dandascalescu.com
I was trying to follow slapshot30's guide to rooting and installing CWM on the Vivid, but the instructions require an SD card, and my phone didn't ship with one (and I didn't want to power down my other Android and remove the card etc.)

So here's a simple, clear, no-magic, guide on:
  • how to get permanent root (permroot) on the HTC Raider/Vivid
  • instal a recovery image that will later let you backup and install ROM images
  • remove Carrier IQ, a piece of software that snoops on all your actions and can report them to your carrier

Prerequisites
  • Install the HTC Vivid drivers for Windows
  • Follow the steps at http://htcdev.com/bootloader to unlock your phone. Note that HTC will have you signup, and your email address will be uniquely associated with your phone. If you care about privacy, you may want to use a different email address that accepts attachments.
  • Have adb and fastboot working on your computer, preferably in your PATH. You only need the three files from the attached adb_and_fastboot_r16.zip (these are from the Android SDK r16).
  • Extract recovery.img from PH39IMG.zip - this is the ClockWorkMod (CWM) recovery image.
  • Download VIVID_CWM_ROOT_VER2.zip - this will get you root. It has busybox, su, and the Superuser APK.

Steps
  1. On the phone, enable USB debugging in Settings -> Applications -> Development.
  2. Connect phone to PC via USB cable. Verify that adb sees the phone by running
    Code:
    adb devices
    Make sure your phone shows up (mine is HT1ASVJ....).
  3. Boot phone into "HBOOT" mode (remove and reinsert battery, then hold Volume Down and Power)
  4. Once booted, press Power to select FASTBOOT mode
  5. Flash the recovery image:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
  6. From the phone menu, select RECOVERY. Use the Volume Up/Down and Power keys to navigate.
  7. Copy the rooting ZIP to the phone's internal storage:
    Code:
    adb push VIVID_CWM_ROOT_VER2.zip /emmc/
  8. On the phone, choose "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from internal sdcard". Select the VIVID_CWM_ROOT_VER2.zip and confirm.
  9. Choose "reboot system now".

That's it, you've unlocked your Vivid, have a recovery image and root. Test that by installing the Titanium Backup APK:
Code:
adb install [URL="http://matrixrewriter.com/android/files/TitaniumBackup_latest.apk"]TitaniumBackup_latest.apk[/URL]

To remove Carrier IQ (credits go to 8125Omnimax):
  1. Run Titanium Backup and remove the following 2 apps: HtcIQAgent, IQRD
  2. On your terminal/command prompt, run:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    cd /system/bin
    rm iqd iqfd

cd /system/lib
    rm libhtciqagent.so libciq_client.so libciq_htc.so

rm /system/etc/iqprofile.pro

Attachments

• adb_and_fastboot_r16.zip
    172.6 KB · Views: 1,987

maddie01

Feb 5, 2009
New Orleans
After you do the boot loader unlock, recovery and root, then I can flash a custom ICS ROM?
Appreciate the step by step will let you know.....

megatronisabeast

Apr 16, 2011
After you do the boot loader unlock, recovery and root, then I can flash a custom ICS ROM?
Appreciate the step by step will let you know.....

You need to upgrade to ics before do a custom ics rom. You have to have updated hboot, etc. so flash the ota ics then you can unlock boot loader, recovery, root, and flash ics.

maddie01

Feb 5, 2009
New Orleans
Thanks for the reply....I have stock ICS and I unlocked bootloader today on HTC dev site...I tried to use hansoon's all in one tool to do recovery but did not know how to get phone in recovery mode....but I see how to in your directions, will try tomorrow...
Very much appreciate your help.

xJU1C3x

Feb 17, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Ok, so I just spent all night doing this........
It worked GREAT! Unlocked, Recovery, Rooted.......
I do have questions about removing the Carrier IQ, so if someone could PM me on the details of how to do it, THAT WOULD BE AWESOEM...(I wasn't able to locate them in Titanium Backup). All-in-all...BIG THANKS.

Markavich

Sep 24, 2010
Decatur, GA
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Nice.

Ok, so I just spent all night doing this........
It worked GREAT! Unlocked, Recovery, Rooted.......
I do have questions about removing the Carrier IQ, so if someone could PM me on the details of how to do it, THAT WOULD BE AWESOEM...(I wasn't able to locate them in Titanium Backup). All-in-all...BIG THANKS.

I also wasn't able to locate them in TB. I'm assuming that means the program isn't there. Would I be incorrect in assuming that?

xJU1C3x

Feb 17, 2012
Sacramento, CA
No, not correct...There is another program you can use to remove the CIQ, I'm not at my comp right now, but its one of those "one-click" kind of things. Sorry I can't be more specific, but browse the forums...you should find it. But I've used it and my Carrier IQ is now removed.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

swtnix

Aug 18, 2009
Texas
Is the reason you couldn't find the IQ is because your running: MIUIAndroid_Holiday-2.7.6 ?
I'm just asking because I unlocked, rooted and flashed a stock ICS and I also can't find the apps in TB.

swtnix

Aug 18, 2009
Texas
Thanks. After years of cyanogenmod, I'm just getting back into it....

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

ubigred

Feb 23, 2010
Houston
Does this method still work today? Or an easier method available??

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was trying to follow slapshot30's guide to rooting and installing CWM on the Vivid, but the instructions require an SD card, and my phone didn't ship with one (and I didn't want to power down my other Android and remove the card etc.)

So here's a simple, clear, no-magic, guide on:
    • how to get permanent root (permroot) on the HTC Raider/Vivid
    • instal a recovery image that will later let you backup and install ROM images
    • remove Carrier IQ, a piece of software that snoops on all your actions and can report them to your carrier

Prerequisites
    • Install the HTC Vivid drivers for Windows
    • Follow the steps at http://htcdev.com/bootloader to unlock your phone. Note that HTC will have you signup, and your email address will be uniquely associated with your phone. If you care about privacy, you may want to use a different email address that accepts attachments.
    • Have adb and fastboot working on your computer, preferably in your PATH. You only need the three files from the attached adb_and_fastboot_r16.zip (these are from the Android SDK r16).
    • Extract recovery.img from PH39IMG.zip - this is the ClockWorkMod (CWM) recovery image.
    • Download VIVID_CWM_ROOT_VER2.zip - this will get you root. It has busybox, su, and the Superuser APK.

Steps
    1. On the phone, enable USB debugging in Settings -> Applications -> Development.
    2. Connect phone to PC via USB cable. Verify that adb sees the phone by running
      Code:
      adb devices
      Make sure your phone shows up (mine is HT1ASVJ....).
    3. Boot phone into "HBOOT" mode (remove and reinsert battery, then hold Volume Down and Power)
    4. Once booted, press Power to select FASTBOOT mode
    5. Flash the recovery image:
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    6. From the phone menu, select RECOVERY. Use the Volume Up/Down and Power keys to navigate.
    7. Copy the rooting ZIP to the phone's internal storage:
      Code:
      adb push VIVID_CWM_ROOT_VER2.zip /emmc/
    8. On the phone, choose "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from internal sdcard". Select the VIVID_CWM_ROOT_VER2.zip and confirm.
    9. Choose "reboot system now".

That's it, you've unlocked your Vivid, have a recovery image and root. Test that by installing the Titanium Backup APK:
    Code:
    adb install [URL="http://matrixrewriter.com/android/files/TitaniumBackup_latest.apk"]TitaniumBackup_latest.apk[/URL]

To remove Carrier IQ (credits go to 8125Omnimax):
    1. Run Titanium Backup and remove the following 2 apps: HtcIQAgent, IQRD
    2. On your terminal/command prompt, run:
      Code:
      adb shell
      su
      mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
      cd /system/bin
      rm iqd iqfd

cd /system/lib
      rm libhtciqagent.so libciq_client.so libciq_htc.so

rm /system/etc/iqprofile.pro
    How did you get 139 thanks if you've asked this question?!

does this wipe any personal data or installed apps???

Yes, of course. It's a new ROM. All your apps will be wiped out.

Data on the SD card, will, of course, be left alone. Check out my Android backup guide on how to backup and restore what you need to.