[Q] Is it still unsafe to go from S-Off to S-On?

Search This thread

fenstre

Jan 9, 2012
I just S-Offed with Firewater. I know in the past (maybe in the revone days), I read a lot of warnings about not going back to S-On because you might never be able to gain S-Off again. Is this still the case? I think I need to have my phone serviced, and I'm worried they might not replace it--in that case, I don't want to be stuck with a devie whose firmware I can't ever upgrade.

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
I just S-Offed with Firewater. I know in the past (maybe in the revone days), I read a lot of warnings about not going back to S-On because you might never be able to gain S-Off again. Is this still the case? I think I need to have my phone serviced, and I'm worried they might not replace it--in that case, I don't want to be stuck with a devie whose firmware I can't ever upgrade.

S-OFF is hard to achieve on hboot 1.56. If you turn s-on on hboot 1.55 and above, the tampered flag will come back after a few reboot. So only s-on on hboot 1.44-1.54.

Reactions: fenstre

fenstre

Jan 9, 2012
S-OFF is hard to achieve on hboot 1.56. If you turn s-on on hboot 1.55 and above, the tampered flag will come back after a few reboot. So only s-on on hboot 1.44-1.54.
Thanks! So the biggest problem is that people S-Off, then upgrade hboot, then turn S-On again? I suspected that... sounds like the problem with people that convert their phone to GPe, and then relock their bootloaders.

I have hboot 1.54, so I guess I'm good to S-Off and S-On at will? Thanks! :)

NxNW

Apr 11, 2011
Sure, that's a good HBOOT to start with if you want to S-OFF.

But just to get back to the original topic of this thread, it's not particularly "safe" to go S-ON. Ever.

The danger is not about whether it's easy to change your mind and go back to S-OFF later.

The larger danger is you can brick the phone (for real-- hard brick, truly dead phone) if your HBOOT has been modified or damaged at some point before you attempt S-ON.

Going back and forth between S-OFF and S-ON "at will" is just asking for trouble.

My personal policy is never S-ON for any reason. Not even warranty repair.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

fenstre

Jan 9, 2012
The danger is not about whether it's easy to change your mind and go back to S-OFF later.
The larger danger is you can brick the phone (for real-- hard brick, truly dead phone) if your HBOOT has been modified or damaged at some point before you attempt S-ON.
Oh, that makes sense. And I see that, for example, modifying HBoot would make it pretty easy to make it so you can't ever root. So I'll cross "hboot mod" off my list of options.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.