SD Card Unexpectedly Removed

Search This thread

limpysmalls

Mar 23, 2011
Eugene
If that doesnt work I would odin stock rom and factory reset. If that dont help then maybe time to replace the phone.

Should you really have to Odin a phone that has not been rooted or messed with in any way other than signing into your Google account and installing apps from the market? I know that bad devices go out so I am not holding it against Samsung or T-Mobile, I am just not going to put much more effort into this. If you are going to put an SD slot on a phone it better work.

The strange thing is it is just saying the Card has been removed, not actually removing the card. I was listening to music on the phone while working on my car today and the message "It is now safe to remove your SD Card was displaying in notifications for over 2 hours with the music from the card still playing. It may not be an issue at all since the card has always been available when I try to access it no matter what it might say in the notifications bar.

If this doesn't fix it I will be visiting my friends at the T-Mobile store to raise some hell because a refurbished phone will not cut it.

Fingers are crossed

Reactions: Reza382

stevessvt

Nov 6, 2010
Lake Worth
Well, I'm just that way. I try everything possible before giving up. The only thing I can think of at this point is bad driver. If you get a replacement phone your going to have to set it up again anyways. FYI, my sd card reader just upped and quite working this week, and I got a replacement, and as far as I can tell, it's a new phone. Maybe it isn't, but cosmetically speaking, it looks perfect.

Reactions: limpysmalls

limpysmalls

Mar 23, 2011
Eugene
Well it worked for an hour before acting up. Time for the un-fun part of this process.

In the past with my phones I would go the extra mile but with the cost of phones now I want some service to go with them from T-Mobile. The guy took for ever getting me the phone also. I was there 2 hours while he set up my account from Classic to value and was still not done when the movie I was there for was about to start. I went to the movie and came back and still had to wait another hour for them to finish everything so I could leave. I was about to just say screw it and not get a new phone. My SII was running great so I really didn't need the note 2, just wanted it.

I might go down there tonight to see what I can get done.

limpysmalls

Mar 23, 2011
Eugene
Of course it was acting fine when I went to the T-mobile store yesterday.

Now it is getting worse and saying the SD-Card is damaged no matter what card I put in.

Hope it keeps it up when I go down there today.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

William_KM

Dec 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note II - Having the same issue with Micro SD CARD

:eek:
Please let me know how your trip to T-Mobile went.

My wife and I bought a Samsung Note 2 last month and both of us bought and have installed a Sandisk 32GB Class 10 Micro SD.
Last week, within a day of each other, we started encountering the following EVERYTIME we use our phones:

SD CARD UNEXPECTEDLY REMOVED
REMOVING SD CARD
PREPARING SD CARD

It happens when we wake it up from being asleep, and randomly during using it.
I can't find any reason why it is doing this.
We have saved everything off of the SD Micro Cards, and reformatted, yet the same issue persist - have you found a solution yet?

Reactions: Reza382

limpysmalls

Mar 23, 2011
Eugene
I have not found a solution yet. Decided to go see the Hobbit instead of hanging out at the T-Mobile store. It doesn't happen every time so showing it to the folks at the store could take awhile.

I have the exact thing happening. It seems to get better for an hour or 2 after a format but always comes back in the end. Going to try a few more things today.

kpursuer

Oct 21, 2010
Avon, CT
It seems the device corrupts certain kind/class of 32gb or above sd cards. I had similar issues and am fine with a 16 gb one for weeks now. I am surprised this issue has not trickled up and hasn't received much attention.

sent from my TmobileUS SGN2 using Tapatalk 2

iunlock

May 22, 2010
Galaxy
Always Fat32 ..... Never do ExFat for phones.
Edit: This is true for older phones, but with the Note II, it supports exFat. Although the SIII is new, it will crap out or not even work with exFat.

How about card format? All fat32? Exfat?

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

The opposite can be said for those (the majority) who love Touchwiz. IMO it is the most balanced UI for any phone. Great for beginners and great for geeks like most of us who love the flexibility.

All fat32 for me. Phone is stock, holding out on root for awhile so I can learn why Touchwiz is so hated.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

Never format ExFat .... Always Fat32.
Edit: This is true for older phones, but with the Note II, it supports exFat. Although the SIII is new, it will crap out or not even work with exFat.

curious about this as well.
you guys not having problems, you format exfat??/ what is the difference between exfat and fat32?

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

+2 !!!!

Formatted Fat32 before putting in the phone then formatted it again with the phone.

Cherry.

I have a sandisk 64gb class 10 I havent had this problem as of yet...

+1

Last edited:

OwenW71

Jul 20, 2010
I asked this before, but it might be worth mentioning again. I noticed that nearly all of the cards affected are SanDisk. Has anyone seen this issue with a Samsung card?

Swyped from the closest Galaxy.

Jerry D

Mar 5, 2011
I asked this before, but it might be worth mentioning again. I noticed that nearly all of the cards affected are SanDisk. Has anyone seen this issue with a Samsung card?

What I have noticed is that most people having issues have a 32gig SanDisk. I am using a SanDisk 64gig (class 10) and haven't had any problems. I took the card out of the packaging and inserted it into my phone. No formatting.. I am stock/rooted with only a little bloat removed.

**EDIT**
I forgot to mention that my sdcard was for Android Phones. It had the Android Robot on the packaging ect.

Last edited:

limpysmalls

Mar 23, 2011
Eugene
I don't have a samsung card to try, all sandisk specifically for Android. I picked them up while I was in Malaysia this summer for about $15 per card. I have been using them in my T989, tab 2, and blaze with no issue. They are the red and gray ones with the Android on the package.

I have tried the format in computer and then format with phone but still have the issue after about an hour or so. I think it is software related but don't want to root yet to see if that fixes it. Has anyone that is rooted had this issue?

Last edited:

limpysmalls

Mar 23, 2011
Eugene
Has anyone that is rooted and running a ROM that is not Touchwiz having the same issue with corrupted SD-cards? We need to narrow down if it is a hardware or software issue that we are having.

I formatted mine to Fat32 on my windows 7 computer and then formatted it using the phone. It started acting up right away but has stopped unmounting itself, I think. I moved some music back on it today to see what happens but so far I can live with this since when I wake the phone the SD-card is there and I can access it. Before it was unmounting itself every few times and I would have to go into settings to get it back.

My son's phone has a 16GB class 10 SanDisk I should try for a few days to see what that does.:confused:

iunlock

May 22, 2010
Galaxy
Hope this helps, but I've used many different brands of miniSD cards and particularly with SanDisk brand, it is best to just put it straight into your phone without reformatting. I have the Note 2, SIII and my wife the SIII. Both SIII's are using the same SanDisk 64GB Class 10 card.

With my phone I put the SanDisk straight into my phone without reformatting. However, on my wife's phone I reformatted (Fat32) on the PC and reformatted once in the phone. Her SD card started acting up.

Contrary to what many people thought including myself, I thought the cards usually all came in Fat32...however, I come to find out the SanDisk's come formatted in exFat, which was a complete SERIOUS?! moment for me. I guess the 'newestest' phones like the Note 2 are exFat friendly?

So my theory is with SanDisk, just leave it alone and put in the SD as is. (For newer phones) I can think of a hand full of reasons of why I think SanDisk's crap out if formatted, but I'll leave the speculation to rest.

Good Luck!

(btw: The best cards I've used are by far Samsung, PNY and A-Data. What they all have in common is that the chip component itself is all made in Korea. Well obviously Samsung is Korean...but I'm referring to PNY and A-Data.)

Cheers

What I have noticed is that most people having issues have a 32gig SanDisk. I am using a SanDisk 64gig (class 10) and haven't had any problems. I took the card out of the packaging and inserted it into my phone. No formatting.. I am stock/rooted with only a little bloat removed.

**EDIT**
I forgot to mention that my sdcard was for Android Phones. It had the Android Robot on the packaging ect.

iunlock

May 22, 2010
Galaxy
I've had ZERO issues with Samsung Cards. In fact, Samsung, A-DATA (parts by Samsung) and PNY are the most reliable and fastest (read/write) I've seen.

limpysmalls

Mar 23, 2011
Eugene
Here is a link for an excellent formatting and partitioning Tool. It's free and I have been using it for years without any issues.. I learnt of this Tool from very knowledgeable xda members.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

I used that to format the card with the same results, it is a great program and I have been using it for awhile.

From what the last few post are saying is that the Samsung Phone only works with the Samsung SD-Cards. That is interesting. I am a little pissed since I just had invested in 2 SanDisk cards which work fine with my T989 and my Tab 2. I would have thought that a phone that can run 64GB cards could also run 32GB cards correctly but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Any input from others that are not using SanDisk CARDS that are 32GB and above would be great.

I had hoped the update might fix things but no luck.

predation

Jan 1, 2011
i think it maybe a loose connector to the sdcard slot as discussed http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2035854

possibly a hardware problem.

but since this issue doesn't seem like its solved, i guess i'll just stick to using the internal memory and forgo the sdcard until there is a definitive answer. :(

oh, for those brave enough to try and "re-seat" the connection, here is a youtube of the teardown.
seems easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT-2zrZ_aNo

for you guys attempting this route, please make sure that the connection isn't seated correctly, because if it is, then its something else.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have 3 different 32GB MicroSD cards -- Kingston Class 4, Patriot Class 4, and SanDisk UHS Class 10 (red/grey). I also have the Note 2 and my wife has the S3.

The problem seems to be a combination of Samsung's MicroSD slot and SanDisk's super thin MicroSD cards. Both the Patriot and Kingston 32GB MicroSD cards are noticeably thicker (almost 2x) and both fit more firmly in my Note 2' and S3's MicroSD slots.

I also have the same problem when using only the SanDisk MicroSD card in my multi-slot card reader. I get card not inserted errors as well as cyclical redundancy errors, misc write errors, etc. This card reader was not cheap and I paid good money for it because I use it for semi-pro digital photography -- I cannot have a card reader messing up my photos. I purchased my SanDisk MicrosSD card with a full sized SD adapter (just because that's the one that was the best deal). Guess what -- the SanDisk MicroSD card formats, reads, and writes perfectly fine when using the full sized SD adapter in the same card reader. Neither the Patriot nor Kingston MicroSD cards will fit in the SanDisk full-sized SD adapter, so clearly this SD adapter's slot is specifically designed for the significantly thinner SanDisk MicroSD cards.

So, I think the problem is that SanDisk made their newer MicroSD cards too thin, so they're not making constant, proper contact inside Samsung's card slots (and my card reader). My Acer A500 tablet has a better designed card slot so (at least so far) the SanDisk MicroSD card isn't giving me any problems in it. Likewise, my Patriot Class 4 card that's now in my Note 2 is not exhibiting any of these problems because it's a thicker card so my Note 2 (so far) seems happier with it.

Anyway, that's my current theory. I wonder if there are any other memory manufacturers who thinning up their card designs? So far, it's just been SanDisk that I've encountered this. Seems like most of the people here on this thread are also having problems with just the SanDisk cards.
    Hope this helps, but I've used many different brands of miniSD cards and particularly with SanDisk brand, it is best to just put it straight into your phone without reformatting. I have the Note 2, SIII and my wife the SIII. Both SIII's are using the same SanDisk 64GB Class 10 card.

With my phone I put the SanDisk straight into my phone without reformatting. However, on my wife's phone I reformatted (Fat32) on the PC and reformatted once in the phone. Her SD card started acting up.

Contrary to what many people thought including myself, I thought the cards usually all came in Fat32...however, I come to find out the SanDisk's come formatted in exFat, which was a complete SERIOUS?! moment for me. I guess the 'newestest' phones like the Note 2 are exFat friendly?

So my theory is with SanDisk, just leave it alone and put in the SD as is. (For newer phones) I can think of a hand full of reasons of why I think SanDisk's crap out if formatted, but I'll leave the speculation to rest.

Good Luck!

(btw: The best cards I've used are by far Samsung, PNY and A-Data. What they all have in common is that the chip component itself is all made in Korea. Well obviously Samsung is Korean...but I'm referring to PNY and A-Data.)

Cheers

**EDIT**
    any solutions?

Been trying follow the whole thread....

Please correct me if I missed anything ...

All these possibilities has been discussed but none concluded to be the root issue

- SD card (Sandisk, Kingston, PE etc) manufacturer problem
    - Loose micro ribbon/adapter connecting SD card
    - Samsung Android screen wake up (code issue)
    - Internal Android issue
    - Depending on type of files stored
    - Digital Rights Management

I am beginning to think that that this is Google, Dropbox, Samsung and all the other Big Player's master plan to force us to use their 'CLOUD' vs external storage.

Possible Fix(s)

*All of which either does not work or miraculously worked for some*

- Insert folded paper with SD card (making it tighter to hold)
    - switch on protect SD card under developer options
    - settings > storage > Unmount card and mount it back on
    - Format card
    - Change to FAT32/ExFat
    - Factory reset phone
    - Restart phone
    - Throw phone on the floor and stomp on it
    - Burn it and watch it depart to hell
    - Call Samsung 1-800 and hear them bulls**t you saying it's not my problem, I've already made my money
    - Call Google and get no response
    - Vent on XDA and get no replies

Above all choose Peace and Love and sleep peacefully like a baby!
    I'm just gonna throw this out there... It kinda seems like the latest Samsung phones are happily corrupting SD cards right and left. Now, maybe some cards are more susceptible to this, but the fact remains that this is not just anecdotal anymore. We need to get the various phone groups that are seeing this issue to band together and contact Samsung for a fix.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
    Mine worked fine for a while, too. I'm not sure what triggered it, but I think the phone did something to it. The reason I think this is simple. I have had many devices with SD cards in them, and never have I had one go bad. This phone was using a card that I had used for months before in another phone, and within a month the card was bad. When I looked online, I found hundreds of cases of the same issue, mostly with Samsung S3 and GN2 phones. It seems too much to be a coincidence.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app