"Unfortunately google play store has stopped": what to do (general)

Search This thread

urilabob

Jul 24, 2012
Seoul
There are a gazillion threads on this topic, but most of them are about device-specific or carrier-specific problems. However google play store can stop for a number of reasons that are more generic. Googling them is a pain in the butt, as I recently discovered. This thread is intended as a place to collect them together. As well as checking here, it would be important to check on threads for your specific device and carrier, as they may have pushed a bad version.

Cause: Part-installed apps: something went wrong part-way through installing an app
Checking: Check in google play; if it says 'downloading' or 'installing' permanently, something is amiss
Solution: Try uninstalling the app (you may be able to reinstall it successfully afterward)

Cause: /mnt/sdcard is full
Checking: If you have a terminal, use the "df" command, otherwise use a capable file viewer
Solution: On a terminal, "cd /mnt/sdcard", then "du -s (dirname)" to check sizes, "rm -r (dirname)" to remove something (or use 'mv (dirname) /mnt/external_sd if you have an external sd card with some space). On a file viewer, move or remove relevant directories. You can't avoid this: if your sd card is full, you're definitely going to have to remove something (or move it to your external card) - the system isn't going to work with a full card. USE WITH CARE EITHER WAY. Whatever you remove cannot be retrieved, and removing the wrong thing can make your system or applications misbehave.

Cause: Corrupted data
Checking: Try the solutions in increasing order of severity.
Solution:
  1. Go into Settings, then apps, then All, click on Google Play Store. Then:
    Clear cache, Force stop, restart Google Play and retry​
  2. Go into Settings, then apps, then All, click on Google Play Store. Then:
    Clear data, Force stop, restart Google Play and retry​
  3. Go into Settings, then Accounts and Sync, Click on your account, then on options icon, Remove account (ignore warnings - it's easy to restore)
    Restart Google Play. It will ask you to add an account - add your original back in.​

Cause: Corrupted binaries
Checking: Not sure how...
Solution: Install an updated binary. This thread always seems to have the latest. But you should probably check your device and vendor lists in case there is a device-specific binary (I think the more specific binaries currently just add a different skin, but further information would be good). You may also need to reinstall google play services (thanks jpeg1900)
Or:
"I just reflashed the same gapps in CWM over the first installation, rebooted and had to wait a few minutes before Play Store actually started working again." - Thanks Nephatiu (see below).

Please feel free to add further info below. I'll try to incorporate all good nuggets into this post.

PS anyone know a better way to do tables in this wiki?

Last edited:

Ralf-0815

Jul 31, 2012
play store error at download

There are a gazillion threads on this topic, but most of them are about device-specific or carrier-specific problems. However google play store can stop for a number of reasons that are more generic. Googling them is a pain in the butt, as I recently discovered. This thread is intended as a place to collect them together. As well as checking here, it would be important to check on threads for your specific device and carrier, as they may have pushed a bad version.

Checking: If you have a terminal, use the "df" command, otherwise use a capable file viewer
Solution: On a terminal, "cd /mnt/sdcard", then "du -s (dirname)" to check sizes, "rm -r (dirname)" to remove it. On a file viewer, remove relevant directories. USE WITH CARE EITHER WAY.

Solution:
  3. Go into Settings, then Accounts and Sync, Click on your account, then on options icon, Remove account (ignore warnings - it's easy to restore)
    Restart Google Play. It will ask you to add an account - add your original back in.​

Solution: Install an updated binary. This thread always seems to have the latest. But you should probably check your device and vendor lists in case there is a device-specific binary (I think the more specific binaries currently just add a different skin, but further information would be good).

Please feel free to add further info below. I'll try to incorporate all good nuggets into this post.

hi there,
i have some problems with play store at all. play store is runing well - BUT, if i like to download an app, the download never starts. it says "donloading" but there is no percentage.
after ~ 15 mins an error is on the display.

any idea?

urilabob

Jul 24, 2012
Seoul
Play Store hanging on download

hi there,
i have some problems with play store at all. play store is runing well - BUT, if i like to download an app, the download never starts. it says "donloading" but there is no percentage.

any idea?

Not sure. I had a similar problem at one time, and eventually discovered it was due to a specific app that had only half-installed itself (perhaps the tab had crashed halfway through the download, not sure, it's lost in the mists of time). Uninstalling that app got over the problem. However it might help someone (perhaps you) if you post the error message that you get on the display (people are likely to google it, so that you might get together with other people with the same problem).

Nephatiu

Sep 13, 2011
Tienen
www.ggtm.eu
Well, my Play Store recently crashed during updates, after which it wouldn't run any longer anymore stating that same message every time I try running it and also every time an app accesses the store for information (which seems to happen when I just open the apps). My sdcard wasn't full, clearing data and cache did nothing, no other data is corrupted, I replaced the market with a fresh copy apk, tried different versions, ... Nothing worked... So, reading the internet, I saw the final solution was to remove and re-add my Google account, but for some reason (not a rational one) I didn't really want to do this, so I went back to CWM recovery mode, reflashed the gapps zip I used the first time and rebooted... Once booted it didn't give me the error I usually get on any other boot since it started crashing, but when I tried running Play Store, it crashed again with the same message... Defeated I went to my Google accounts to remove, at which point (just before doing anything) I noticed the Updates-notification of the Play Store popping up in my notification drawer. I tapped it and Play Store booted, everything works again, and it updated itself back to the latest version, still without any problems.

So in short, if you don't ant to read the entire text:

I just reflashed the same gapps in CWM over the first installation, rebooted and had to wait a few minutes before Play Store actually started working again.

Dunno if this will work for anyone of you, 'cause it depends on the reason it's not working, but this possible solution should not be missing from your list since it worked for at least one person (me). :p

Greetz,

~ Nephatiu

Last edited:

ErionT

Mar 7, 2012
Tirana
What does Hotspot Shield VPN 1.3 have to do with Google Play not working?
That is an app which creates a VPN so you can access sites that are locked or not authorized.

Personally I went into Settings than Application Manager, then ALL, then Google Play Store.
After that i cleared all the data, force stopped the app and restarted it again.
It worked nicely.

just download Hotspot Shield VPN 1.3

http://www.androiddrawer.com/11257/download-hotspot-shield-vpn-1-3-app-apk/

and google play store will work again

mjpeters

May 6, 2013
Solution:

seems point 3 fixes it for me, but as soon as im back on the play store and starting to download something it just starts over again with the error message. Any ideas?

ApeironTsuka

Jun 23, 2012
Not even sure how to describe this one..
Hardware: ASUS ME301T (MeMo Smart Pad 10)
Version: 4.2.1 (10.6.1.29, but it was happening on 10.6.1.25 as well)
Rooted, SuperSU installed for the multi-user support. Aside from that, the device is stock.
Play Store: 4.1.6 (4.0.something factory)
Setup:
2 users
Primary user has 2 Google accounts+FB account
Secondary user has a single Google account
Problem:
I have 43 apps installed on the primary user. If I install even 1 more, the app crashes when trying to load the list of installed apps. Doesn't seem to matter what the 44th app is. Uninstall it to drop it back to 43 and it works just fine again. Secondary user is at 46 and no issues. I've tried removing both Google accounts, clearing data+cache of the store, DMClient, and Download Manager, as well as removing the store updates. Nothing has worked. The only things left I can think of is trying to update the store manually via newer apk or a factory reset. I don't know what, if anything, ASUS changed in the store, as the installed size reports 10.46mb or so. Also want to avoid a reset for obvious pain-in-the-arse related reasons.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Reactions: oskarkamera

jPeg1900

Aug 21, 2013
Greensboro
I ran into a similar problem. After reading this thread, i tried a few of the suggestions. What ended up working for me was to go to the application manager, got to google play store, uninstall updates, and re install the factory version. Did the same for google play services.

talamir

Mar 11, 2013
Tel Aviv
same problem with 4.3.1.1

using a custom rom (LiquidSmooth) on a Galaxy Note II (N7100) international.
went through all the removing\reinstalling\clear cache tricks.. same error pops up every time i try to open the store, and sometimes just as a background process.
not sure if re-flashing will help... (cleared cache and dalvik too).
thoughts..?

urilabob

Jul 24, 2012
Seoul
N
Problem:
I have 43 apps installed on the primary user. If I install even 1 more, the app crashes when trying to load the list of installed apps. Doesn't seem to matter what the 44th app is. Uninstall it to drop it back to 43 and it works just fine again. Secondary user is at 46 and no issues. I've tried removing both Google accounts, clearing data+cache of the store, DMClient, and Download Manager, as well as removing the store updates. Nothing has worked. The only things left I can think of is trying to update the store manually via newer apk or a factory reset. I don't know what, if anything, ASUS changed in the store, as the installed size reports 10.46mb or so. Also want to avoid a reset for obvious pain-in-the-arse related reasons.
Any ideas?
No good ones, but just wondering - is there any possibility it's the 43rd app that is the root of the problem? Perhaps its data is corrupted in play's database, and adding another app reveals the problem.

urilabob

Jul 24, 2012
Seoul
using a custom rom (LiquidSmooth) on a Galaxy Note II (N7100) international.
went through all the removing\reinstalling\clear cache tricks.. same error pops up every time i try to open the store, and sometimes just as a background process.
not sure if re-flashing will help... (cleared cache and dalvik too).
thoughts..?

Just in case you didn't try it, jpeg1900's suggestion of reinstalling google play services (rather than just google play) might be relevant here, in light of it crashing as a background process.

vezzy

Oct 10, 2013
Unfortunately google play store has stopped

hello,

i bought a chinese phone - Vsun i9 but unfortunately it looks that is made for chinese market and google play doesn't work:

Unfortunately google play store has stopped

I had rooted the phone but still don't know how to activate google play :(
Could you help me and if someone knows if there is a custom rom for this phone to send a link.

thank you in advance!

Reactions: ppgg2001@gmail.com

adrianyujs

Sep 1, 2008
Selangor

Is this a bugs?? On note 3 original rom play store version 4.5.10 also has this problem, sometimes clear data on download manager / play service / play store can help, sometimes there is no choice, I remove gmail account and sign in again can help...

Why does this happen? Did google give any answer?

Reactions: 3deepborah

nativeridge

Jan 9, 2013
Perth
I broke it!!!

after trying all the processes, several times

I am running Paranoid Android ROM and just wondered if changing hybrid profile of Google play store was contributing to app crashing?!?

note: I was able to open app but from opening menu could not go into any individual tabs (I.e. "apps") without crashing...

Changing hybrid settings back to lower DPI fixed issue and I have just set to the maximum DPI before app starts crashing

hope this helps others :D

urilabob

Jul 24, 2012
Seoul
Limited Relevance

If your problem is due to google sites being blocked by a firewall (your company's, your ISP's, your country's, or whatever) this may be helpful. Be aware that you will need a site on the other end, outside the firewall, to route your google play communications.

If that's not your problem, this solution won't help.

Usually you will know - only a few countries block google, it's highly unlikely that a commercial ISP would, and you will know whether you are trying to do updates on your company's network.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Cause: Part-installed apps: something went wrong part-way through installing an app
    Checking: Check in google play; if it says 'downloading' or 'installing' permanently, something is amiss
    Solution: Try uninstalling the app (you may be able to reinstall it successfully afterward)

Solution: On a terminal, "cd /mnt/sdcard", then "du -s (dirname)" to check sizes, "rm -r (dirname)" to remove something (or use 'mv (dirname) /mnt/external_sd if you have an external sd card with some space). On a file viewer, move or remove relevant directories. You can't avoid this: if your sd card is full, you're definitely going to have to remove something (or move it to your external card) - the system isn't going to work with a full card. USE WITH CARE EITHER WAY. Whatever you remove cannot be retrieved, and removing the wrong thing can make your system or applications misbehave.

Solution:

Solution: Install an updated binary. This thread always seems to have the latest. But you should probably check your device and vendor lists in case there is a device-specific binary (I think the more specific binaries currently just add a different skin, but further information would be good). You may also need to reinstall google play services (thanks jpeg1900)
    Or:
    "I just reflashed the same gapps in CWM over the first installation, rebooted and had to wait a few minutes before Play Store actually started working again." - Thanks Nephatiu (see below).

I had issues with the Play Store earlier today and tried clearing the app cache and data to no avail, but found another simple fix. I uninstalled updates from version 3.8.15 back to 3.7.15. Worked like a charm.
    What does Hotspot Shield VPN 1.3 have to do with Google Play not working?
    That is an app which creates a VPN so you can access sites that are locked or not authorized.

Personally I went into Settings than Application Manager, then ALL, then Google Play Store.
    After that i cleared all the data, force stopped the app and restarted it again.
    It worked nicely.

Play Store hanging on download

hi there,

any idea?

Not sure. I had a similar problem at one time, and eventually discovered it was due to a specific app that had only half-installed itself (perhaps the tab had crashed halfway through the download, not sure, it's lost in the mists of time). Uninstalling that app got over the problem. However it might help someone (perhaps you) if you post the error message that you get on the display (people are likely to google it, so that you might get together with other people with the same problem).
    Well, my Play Store recently crashed during updates, after which it wouldn't run any longer anymore stating that same message every time I try running it and also every time an app accesses the store for information (which seems to happen when I just open the apps). My sdcard wasn't full, clearing data and cache did nothing, no other data is corrupted, I replaced the market with a fresh copy apk, tried different versions, ... Nothing worked... So, reading the internet, I saw the final solution was to remove and re-add my Google account, but for some reason (not a rational one) I didn't really want to do this, so I went back to CWM recovery mode, reflashed the gapps zip I used the first time and rebooted... Once booted it didn't give me the error I usually get on any other boot since it started crashing, but when I tried running Play Store, it crashed again with the same message... Defeated I went to my Google accounts to remove, at which point (just before doing anything) I noticed the Updates-notification of the Play Store popping up in my notification drawer. I tapped it and Play Store booted, everything works again, and it updated itself back to the latest version, still without any problems.

So in short, if you don't ant to read the entire text:

I just reflashed the same gapps in CWM over the first installation, rebooted and had to wait a few minutes before Play Store actually started working again.

Dunno if this will work for anyone of you, 'cause it depends on the reason it's not working, but this possible solution should not be missing from your list since it worked for at least one person (me). :p

Greetz,

~ Nephatiu