Is it possible to install Linux programs on Android

Search This thread

Harry_EBJ

Jun 9, 2014
Gold Coast
Hello folks,

I have a keen interest in making short movies of my outdoor sport/recreation, and I am looking to install some video editing software on my Android smartphone.
It is a Hauwei Ascend Y320 (4.2.2 Jellybean OS, dual-core processor etc).

Now Google Play has quite a few apps in the search result 'movie maker' or 'video editor', however there are dozens of clones on the stock Android movie maker app 'Movie Studio', which only allows very basic features, such as trimming, add one audio track, add photos to video collection etc.

But I need more features to efficiently edit my videos.
I have been using 'Movie Aid' and it is quite good, by far the best I have used. It has provision for trimming, transitions, photo, video, multiple music tracks, slow/fast motion, text, credtits, subtitles (including image overlay), and audio volume adjustment, etc.
I also use 'AndroiD StudiO' which is a video editor app, not a timeline style movie maker. It does splitting, trimming, filters, cropping, slow/fast motion, audio adjustment, add text to videos, extract video/audio, and much more...

Now that brings me to my question, can I install Linux OS on Android, and then install Linux programs (such as 'Openshot video editor')...

And if you think I should just edit videos on a computer... well I have a Windows 7 Acer laptop, however, as I spend a lot of time in remote ares on camping trips, I need to be able to edit videos easily on the go/in the field. (As when camping, I don't have access to mains power of, so I can't charge my laptop, once the battery runs flat).

Hope someone can point me in the right direction... :)

WanderingAlbatross

Jun 13, 2014
In general it seems very hard to install a linux program in Android, though it is true that Android runs on a Linux kernel. The kernels are often modified to suit the needs of the type of machine they run on. A typical x86 or x86_64 processor machine is not too much different from another. So linux runs well on a great variety of desktops and laptops.

I've been trying to turn my tablet into a linux computer. One problem I have run into is that some packages are not able to run on the ARM processors. So this requires recompiling from source specifically for the tablet. And since my machine is too slow compared to my tablet, it runs out of memory compiling on it's own. So I try to cross compile which has it's own set of troubles. Notice it is the packages for programs that give the most trouble. The kernel does fine.

I have tried Linux on Android, but it complains that my kernel is too old. Your machine sounds pretty impressive so it might be able to handle it. Linux on Android is actually a way to chroot into Linux. It moves root from the typical android filestructure to a Linux Distro's filestructure and runs right off of the kernel running in Android.

Reactions: Harry_EBJ

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can find a lot of projects "Linux on Android". f.e.
    com.zpwebsites.linuxonandroid

Google "Linux for android"
    In general it seems very hard to install a linux program in Android, though it is true that Android runs on a Linux kernel. The kernels are often modified to suit the needs of the type of machine they run on. A typical x86 or x86_64 processor machine is not too much different from another. So linux runs well on a great variety of desktops and laptops.

I've been trying to turn my tablet into a linux computer. One problem I have run into is that some packages are not able to run on the ARM processors. So this requires recompiling from source specifically for the tablet. And since my machine is too slow compared to my tablet, it runs out of memory compiling on it's own. So I try to cross compile which has it's own set of troubles. Notice it is the packages for programs that give the most trouble. The kernel does fine.

I have tried Linux on Android, but it complains that my kernel is too old. Your machine sounds pretty impressive so it might be able to handle it. Linux on Android is actually a way to chroot into Linux. It moves root from the typical android filestructure to a Linux Distro's filestructure and runs right off of the kernel running in Android.