[Q] New at rooting, need some help

Search This thread

Kreepy_Sloth

Jul 3, 2014
Hey guys, so I've been reading through the forums for a week and I have never rooted, so please forgive me if I am missing something.
I recently picked up a Verizon HTC One Max and thought why don't I give rooting a shot. I did some research (not enough apparently) and was attempting to use Rumrunner. After that wouldn't work I attempted to do the CyanogenMod easy root (sorry if I have that wrong) and that did not work as well, I eventually stumbled upon having to get on to HTC Dev, so I i attempted to unlock my Boot Loader, and found that you are unable to do that Via HTC Dev.

So my question to you seasoned vets, is can anyone point me to a step by step how to for first timers on Verizon running HBOOT 2.49 and are on 4.4.2. Like I said I know I am really new, and still not sure how to go about flashing a new ROM once rooted, but I will get there in time. Thanks to any help in advance guys.

Kreepy_Sloth

Jul 3, 2014
Still having some issues. Tried running rumrunner again and it'll get to "packing bottles" and than error out with unexpected behavior.
Tried doing the weak sauce/Forrester method and supersu will error out.
Any other ideas?

nathlynn22

Apr 8, 2013
Have you unlocked your bootloader with HTC dev? If not try firewater. temp root and then s-off and it will unlock your bootloader at the same time then you can go about flashing custom recovery and then try custom ROMs. That's the way I went but I'm on international build

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Or look on firewater website at the weaksauce s-off option and try again.

Kreepy_Sloth

Jul 3, 2014
Have you unlocked your bootloader with HTC dev? If not try firewater. temp root and then s-off and it will unlock your bootloader at the same time then you can go about flashing custom recovery and then try custom ROMs. That's the way I went but I'm on international build

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Or look on firewater website at the weaksauce s-off option and try again.

I tried doing the HTC dev initially and than read you can't with Verizon (I have the Verizon version) I tried the Forrester / weak sauce method this morning and was still unable. I will try again after work. Sorry if my tone comes off rude just at work so have to be short. Is it ok if I pm you ?

nathlynn22

Apr 8, 2013
I tried doing the HTC dev initially and than read you can't with Verizon (I have the Verizon version) I tried the Forrester / weak sauce method this morning and was still unable. I will try again after work. Sorry if my tone comes off rude just at work so have to be short. Is it ok if I pm you ?
Yeah sure but I'm in UK so getting late here drop me a pm and I'll get back to you. Your best option is after work trying firewater. Have you ever rooted/unlocked/s-offed a phone before..? Do you know how to use adb and fastboot?

Reactions: Kreepy_Sloth

Kreepy_Sloth

Jul 3, 2014
FINALLY!
Bootloader is Unlocked.
And I am S-OFF

Had some troubles with getting weak sauce to cooperate, finally just installed it on the phone itself and ran it. Than pushed firewater and worked with it in ADB.

On to the next project. Big thanks to nathlynn22, tip my hat to you boss.

nathlynn22

Apr 8, 2013
FINALLY!
Bootloader is Unlocked.
And I am S-OFF

Had some troubles with getting weak sauce to cooperate, finally just installed it on the phone itself and ran it. Than pushed firewater and worked with it in ADB.

On to the next project. Big thanks to nathlynn22, tip my hat to you boss.
That's cool mate does take abit of getting used to but in the end when it works you think yeeessss. Haha. On to flashing ROMs now just make sure you make a backup of you stock ROM as there is a shortage of ruus

GreenGoblin227

Jun 27, 2010
Salisbury, MA
just got my max too, but having the damnest time rooting this device.. have no clue.. rumrunner, and what not.. my note 3 was way easier....

any step by step help out htere?

i am on verizon

nathlynn22

Apr 8, 2013
Ok if you want to go to power setting turn off fastboot and then go to boot loader by turning phone on with vol down to check hboot.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

just got my max too, but having the damnest time rooting this device.. have no clue.. rumrunner, and what not.. my note 3 was way easier....

any step by step help out htere?

i am on verizon
Oh actually just noticed your on Verizon should you could use same as op and find firewater s-off in HTC one max General and use the weaksauce firewater method to temp root s-off and unlock boot loader. Then you need to flash corresponding custom recovery so cwm or twrp cm ready or twrp depending on roms you want to flash. After you flashed custom revovery you can root when you reboot from that then take a nandroid backup of stock Rom and then flash custom mods etc.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeah sure but I'm in UK so getting late here drop me a pm and I'll get back to you. Your best option is after work trying firewater. Have you ever rooted/unlocked/s-offed a phone before..? Do you know how to use adb and fastboot?