[Q] Two questions regarding bootloader and rooting

Search This thread

Yet.Another.ID

Jan 7, 2006
This has been discussed many times before, but I have seen conflicting answers to these questions. I hope that by asking them again I can get a consensus from everyone.

Questions
1) Do you need to unlock your bootloader to be able to root your SP phone? Most people say yes, others think no.
2) If you need to unlock your bootloader, is it possible to do it when you have "bootloader unlock allowed: no" setting? Most people say no. For what it's worth, my phone is not SIM locked.

Thanks.

msainani

Dec 6, 2013
Goa
This has been discussed many times before, but I have seen conflicting answers to these questions. I hope that by asking them again I can get a consensus from everyone.

Questions
1) Do you need to unlock your bootloader to be able to root your SP phone? Most people say yes, others think no.
2) If you need to unlock your bootloader, is it possible to do it when you have "bootloader unlock allowed: no" setting? Most people say no. For what it's worth, my phone is not SIM locked.

Thanks.

1) You don't need to unlock bootloader to root your SP.
2) You cannot unlock the bootloader, if you have "Bootloader Unlock Allowed: No"

Yet.Another.ID

Jan 7, 2006
Thanks, msainani.

On the one hand, it is good news that I can root without unlocking the bootloader.

But does this mean I cannot change ROMs or update the OS? What would be I be able to do with a phone that is both rooted and unlocked versus a phone that is rooted but locked?