[APP] Root Checker - in the Android Market

Search This thread

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
Background:
Originally posted on XDA and Google Play in 2011 and frequently updated with over 10M users!

Disclaimer:
** This application will NOT provide root access **
** FREE on XDA - Want to help the rooting community! **

Brief Description:
This application will allow the user to confirm they have proper root (super user) access and proper busybox install.
Advanced Root Check mode will show, Superuser.apk installation and version, adb shell default user mode, standard su binary locations and permissions, along with root uid/gid. Advanced Busybox Check will show all applets the installed Busybox binary supports. Advanced Root Check and Busybox Check have an email feature allowing results to be easily shared/exported. Over 20+ different devices have links to their device specific rooting guides.

Description:
The goal of this application is to provide even the newest Android user with a simple method to check for root access on their phone. This is a very simple application to notify the user whether or not they have properly setup root access and whether or not they have properly installed busybox. For advanced users, this application will provide many more details giving the user greater control and knowledge of their root and busybox installation.

Gaining root access varies based on manufacturer, model, and carrier. Please refer to device specific posts and boards here on XDA or use http://www.google.com to search for the appropriate support areas for your specific rooting needs. Feel free to email me with root guides which have worked!

Download:
From the Android Market: Root Check Basic (Free) & Root Check Pro (Paid)
From my personal host: Root Check Pro (Free)
For those in China or other countries which block the Android Market, please use my personal hosting link above.

Please PM me with feedback, suggestions and comments. Thank you!

Screenshots:
Root Checker Basic - Successful Results
rcb-5.4.9-n5-main-success-results-scale25.png

Root Basics - Learn the essentials about Android root
rcb-5.4.9-n5-rb-scale25.png

Root Checker Pro - Success Results - Part 1
rcp-1.4.8-n6-vr-granted-1-scale25.png

Root Checker Pro - Success Results - Part 2
rcp-1.4.8-n6-vr-granted-2-scale25.png

Change Log:
Version 3.7
** Added System PATH variable output to advanced
** Added BusyBox binary location to advanced
** Added /system/xbin/sudo check to advanced
** Added root guide links for Motorola Photon & Samsung Prevail
** Hide empty results text field on App Load
** Updated title from Busybox to BusyBox

Last edited:

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
Released an update!
v1.5 - Jan 25th 2011
** Added Froyo App2sd native support
** Added Exit button to the menu
** Refined dialog box menu code

v1.4 - Jan 24th 2011
** Added options menu under the hardware menu key
** Added disclaimer and about menu sections
** Increased efficiency in a few functions
** Fixed screen rotation button/text color bug
** Removed old and unused code
** Prepared application for possible future translations

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Pretty neat.

The Busybox checker doesn't work for me though. I launch Titanium Backup, click Problems, it downloads everything and then says Busybox installed. Then I launch Root Checker and it says it's not installed (for Root, it says yes).

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
Pretty neat.

The Busybox checker doesn't work for me though. I launch Titanium Backup, click Problems, it downloads everything and then says Busybox installed. Then I launch Root Checker and it says it's not installed (for Root, it says yes).
Titanium Backup installs a local copy of busybox ONLY for Titanium backup to use. It does not install a systemwide busybox, which is the proper way to install it. It would be very hard to look for every specific application's locally installed version of busybox as they are hidden from other apps by default and root access must be obtained to even find them.
Thanks for the feedback. It is a good confirmation to what I had suspected regarding Titantium backup.

Glad to hear root check verifies root correctly!

Released new Version 1.6:
** Added Advanced mode for experienced users
** Added toggle for advanced mode under Options Menu

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Titanium Backup installs a local copy of busybox ONLY for Titanium backup to use. It does not install a systemwide busybox, which is the proper way to install it. It would be very hard to look for every specific application's locally installed version of busybox as they are hidden from other apps by default and root access must be obtained to even find them.
Thanks for the feedback. It is a good confirmation to what I had suspected regarding Titantium backup.

Glad to hear root check verifies root correctly!

Released new Version 1.6:
** Added Advanced mode for experienced users
** Added toggle for advanced mode under Options Menu

Ahh, I didn't know that it got installed ONLY for Titanium Backup. That makes sense.

How do you install BusyBox for all applications? (I've never actually installed it for any reason other than from within Titanium Backup.)

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
How do you install BusyBox for all applications? (I've never actually installed it for any reason other than from within Titanium Backup.)
Either use a custom rom, they all generally install busybox correctly, or search the market for BusyBox, an app by Stephen (Stericson), a senior moderator here on XDA, which should install it correctly.
Hope that helps and appreciate your support in using my app!

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
When I search either "joeykrim" or "Root Checker", it does not show up in the Market at all.
Why?
I tried typing the direct URL into Browser and that just did a google search of that URL... :\

Can not find it on market ?:confused:
Sorry! I was just making a few updates to the app.

A new version has been released and is available in the market. Thanks everybody for your support! I look forward to all the feedback and suggestions!!

pariksheetsharma

Dec 17, 2010
Bombay
Disclaimer:

Brief Description:
This application will allow the user to confirm they have proper root (super user) access.

Goal:
The goal of this application is to provide even the newest Android user with a simple method to check for root access on their phone. This application will also provide a simple notification whether or not Busybox has been installed properly.

Description:
This is a very simple application to notify the user whether or not they have properly setup root access and whether or not they have properly installed busybox.

Gaining root access varies based on manufacturer, model, and carrier. Please refer use http://www.google.com to find the appropriate support areas for your specific rooting needs.

Download:
From your Android Phone - Root Checker
From the market - search for Root Checker or joeykrim

Feel free to PM me with feedback, suggestions and comments. Thank you!
It works ... Optimus One P500 - void :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Background:
    Originally posted on XDA and Google Play in 2011 and frequently updated with over 10M users!

Disclaimer:
    ** FREE on XDA - Want to help the rooting community! **

Brief Description:
    This application will allow the user to confirm they have proper root (super user) access and proper busybox install.
    Advanced Root Check mode will show, Superuser.apk installation and version, adb shell default user mode, standard su binary locations and permissions, along with root uid/gid. Advanced Busybox Check will show all applets the installed Busybox binary supports. Advanced Root Check and Busybox Check have an email feature allowing results to be easily shared/exported. Over 20+ different devices have links to their device specific rooting guides.

Description:
    The goal of this application is to provide even the newest Android user with a simple method to check for root access on their phone. This is a very simple application to notify the user whether or not they have properly setup root access and whether or not they have properly installed busybox. For advanced users, this application will provide many more details giving the user greater control and knowledge of their root and busybox installation.

Gaining root access varies based on manufacturer, model, and carrier. Please refer to device specific posts and boards here on XDA or use http://www.google.com to search for the appropriate support areas for your specific rooting needs. Feel free to email me with root guides which have worked!

Download:
    From the Android Market: Root Check Basic (Free) & Root Check Pro (Paid)
    From my personal host: Root Check Pro (Free)
    For those in China or other countries which block the Android Market, please use my personal hosting link above.

Please PM me with feedback, suggestions and comments. Thank you!

Screenshots:
    Root Checker Basic - Successful Results
    rcb-5.4.9-n5-main-success-results-scale25.png

Root Basics - Learn the essentials about Android root
    rcb-5.4.9-n5-rb-scale25.png

Root Checker Pro - Success Results - Part 1
    rcp-1.4.8-n6-vr-granted-1-scale25.png

Root Checker Pro - Success Results - Part 2
    rcp-1.4.8-n6-vr-granted-2-scale25.png

Change Log:
    Version 3.7
    ** Added System PATH variable output to advanced
    ** Added BusyBox binary location to advanced
    ** Added /system/xbin/sudo check to advanced
    ** Added root guide links for Motorola Photon & Samsung Prevail
    ** Hide empty results text field on App Load
    ** Updated title from Busybox to BusyBox
    w00t! nice job, joeykrim!
    Thanks. Easy to use! I find this very handy
    thank you! so many clone apks are trojans!
    Hi Brian,

The setuid command would be: chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su and is only used on the file itself, not the folder.
    Hope that helps! Thanks for the support!

Joey
    Hello Joey,
    Thanks for all the help and your time you have given me, I have done what you suggested before and yes it gives the su file setuid but when I reboot it goes back to this, I don't know how to make it stay as I'm also having the same problem with the media_rw file after I put 4.4.2 on.
    Thanks a lot
    Brian