[Q] Defy+ questions, (also a newcomer to smartphones)

Search This thread

Confidential

May 22, 2012
i think i'm starting to get this.

so if get this right the only Logical* reason to flash an SBF is to get it back to stock?
and if i flash custom ROM use it for a while, i'll flash the Stock SBF, and i'll want to flash Custom ROM again, will be able to, right? and will i be able to do this forever and ever?

and on the download page for Stock SBF's for Defy Plus, how do i really make sure that it (the one i think is right for me) isn't corrupted and it is exactly what i currently have?

again, the FULL process to get WIUI ICS is this:

rooting:

1.Download SuperOneClick (2.1.1-shortfuse)

2.Turn On usb debugging mode in your phone.Don't put phone USB mass storage mode.

3.Connect your phone to your pc.

4.Open SuperOneClick as Administrator.

5.Click ROOT and wait. If it asks whether you wish to install Busybox etc, give yes or ok.

6.Once root is complete you will get a pop up asking whether you wish to donate. Make a choice.

7.At last you will find a line on the right side pane saying to reboot. Reboot your phone.

Flashing Custom rom(WIUI):

1. Download 2ndinit 1.4.2
2. install 2ndinit (Important!:following the instructions)
3. Boot into bootmenu by pressing volume down when device flashes a blue led at bootup. Set default boot mode to 2nd init.
4. Select Recovery/Stable Recovery(which is The ClockWorkMod). Choose "Wipe Data/Cache" option. Let finish.
5.Backup/Restore> Full Backup
6. Choose Install zip from SD Card, select WajkIUI_multilang .zip and let it finish.
7. select "Wipe Cache" then go to Advanced and select "Wipe Dalvik Cache". Reboot Now!
8. After boot, set your prefered language in Settings menu
9. Done! Recommend: use Battery Calibration for maximum battery

is this correct?

Thanks Ahead

EDIT:

questions:
1) how much free Ram do you have/did you have free when nothing is running with the WIUI ICS Custom ROM.
2) i have around 180 free ram if shut down everything through the settings>application>application manager (or something) >running. and 190 used (nothing is running besides settings and keyboard and settings)
now, i assumed at the start that i don't see the full 500MB of ram because of the OS, but on second thought, what is using up my 190 MB if the OS already took 140-130 MB ram...
what is the real explanation for this entire situation?

Again, Many thanks ahead

Last edited:

neo.ank

Apr 28, 2011

so if get this right the only Logical* reason to flash an SBF is to get it back to stock?
and if i flash custom ROM use it for a while, i'll flash the Stock SBF, and i'll want to flash Custom ROM again, will be able to, right? and will i be able to do this forever and ever?

and on the download page for Stock SBF's for Defy Plus, how do i really make sure that it (the one i think is right for me) isn't corrupted and it is exactly what i currently have?
Yes that should be the logical choice. You can do that anytime you need to flash your Stock or Custom ROM. Though frequent flashing and changing ROM's might wind up your phone's memory and create bad areas. So I'd say find a good ROM, flash it and stay updated on that..

rooting:

2.Turn On usb debugging mode in your phone.Don't put phone USB mass storage mode.

5.Click ROOT and wait. If it asks whether you wish to install Busybox etc, give yes or ok.

6.Once root is complete you will get a pop up asking whether you wish to donate. Make a choice.

7.At last you will find a line on the right side pane saying to reboot. Reboot your phone.

3. Boot into bootmenu by pressing volume down when device flashes a blue led at bootup. Set default boot mode to 2nd init.
4. Select Recovery/Stable Recovery(which is The ClockWorkMod). Choose "Wipe Data/Cache" option. Let finish.
6. Choose Install zip from SD Card, select WajkIUI_multilang .zip and let it finish.
7. select "Wipe Cache" then go to Advanced and select "Wipe Dalvik Cache". Reboot Now!

is this correct?

Yes it is.

questions:
1) how much free Ram do you have/did you have free when nothing is running with the WIUI ICS Custom ROM.
2) i have around 180 free ram if shut down everything through the settings>application>application manager (or something) >running. and 190 used (nothing is running besides settings and keyboard and settings)
now, i assumed at the start that i don't see the full 500MB of ram because of the OS, but on second thought, what is using up my 190 MB if the OS already took 140-130 MB ram...
I don't run WIUI so can't answer that to you but the RAM management in Android is different. That much consumption is normal. Its not just the apps but a lot of activities running in background.

Confidential

May 22, 2012
what is CEE 2.2 and Nordic?

i see i need to have that to install WIUI

this is from the WIUI 2.5.27 Page:

"Installation GUIDE: for GB and ICS version
-1. Flash 2.2 CEE ROM or Nordic (Help for sbf-flash.)
0. use SuperOneClick for root
4. Select Recovery/Stable Recovery. Choose "Wipe Data/Cache" option. Let finish.
5. Choose Install zip from SD Card, select WajkIUI_multilang .zip and let it finish.
6. select "Wipe Cache" then go to Advanced and select "Wipe Dalvik Cache". Reboot Now!
7. After boot, set your prefered language in Settings menu
7. Done! Recommend: use Battery Calibration for maximum battery
ps.: i use 2.2 CEE Froyo ROM for base"

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1161110

Confidential

May 22, 2012
tried to root, stuck after step 7 is done.
at first i was stuck AT step 6, downloaded newer version of superoneclick and then i got stuck after step 7. help please.

Many thanks ahead

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yes that should be the logical choice. You can do that anytime you need to flash your Stock or Custom ROM. Though frequent flashing and changing ROM's might wind up your phone's memory and create bad areas. So I'd say find a good ROM, flash it and stay updated on that..

rooting:

is this correct?

Yes it is.

questions:
    I don't run WIUI so can't answer that to you but the RAM management in Android is different. That much consumption is normal. Its not just the apps but a lot of activities running in background.
    Cm (cyanogenmod) is an after market customer support rom. It's build by developers in there spare time. It replaces your current rom. No blur, extra functions, fixes for bugs by Motorola...
    There is no upgrade to ics (at least not by Motorola). Cm9 (ics) us not yet that stable.

If you want to improve your telephone experience you can look into cm7 (gb, they skipped 8 -> honeycomb) or miui(other look). They don't have blur. There are other apps in the market that do the same. And backup of your contacts is done best with Google.

Verstuurd van mijn MB525 met Tapatalk
    yesterday i bought the motorola defy +, first thing i noticed is Wi-Fi problems when creating a motoblur account. i read that it's an incompatibility with some new routers or something, this morning went outside to find unsecure Wi-Fis and create that motoblur account, created it on the 3rd wifi i found and was finally able to access my phone.<br />
    but again when i came home, it showed i was connected but it couldn't actually use the internet (Market, Youtube, Browser).<br />
    it's a thing i'm concerned about but i think is fixable at the store or fixable when putting a new android version.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    i want to upgrade my Defy+ to Android 4<br />
    questions:<br />
    <br />
    1)how dangerous is this process?<br />
    <br />
    2)i've read that if you change it from stock ROM, Motoblur bans your account, if so what are the consequences of it.<br />
    <br />
    3) what is Motoblur good for besides the widgets and the social network updates on your home screen?<br />
    <br />
    4)if motoblur doesn't ban the account when upgrading say to android 4. will it be problematic in that version and can i get rid of it?<br />
    <br />
    5)from the store, i got the Defy+ on android 2.3.6, i've read somewhere that the android version you get when you buy it is 2.3.4, was the phone rooted or something? the phone is also set for my countries languages (English, Russian, Hebrew, Arabic) (btw, i'm still very confused about rooting and what it is)<br />
    <br />
    6)i don't wanna ruin the warranty when i upgrade to android 4. I've read that you can just set to the original 2.3.4 and everything will be fine, thing is for me it's 2.3.6 and with different languages than some other places. will i still be fine? <br />
    <br />
    7)if i upgrade to android 4, will i be able to download paid apps for free?<br />
    if so, is there anything i need to do extra? are there consequences?<br />
    if not, how do i do so? and again, what are the consequences?<br />
    <br />
    8) what is cyanogenmod(CM x (x being a number)) <br />
    <br />
    9) is there anything else necessary for a person like me to know?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    if i missed some detail please let me know, i tend to miss details or words for some reason.<br />
    <br />
    Thanks a Head a Lot for the time and and answers!<br />
    Regards, Confidential.

1) Before you do anything read up on flashing sbfs. These are how motorola updates the phone. If you ever mess up or get stuck you can always flash an sbf and you'll be like new. So there is no real danger.

2)3)4) Most people hate motoblur, so I wouldn't worry about it, if you flash cm there will be no trace of it.

5)6) Sounds like your'e in Israel, they obviously installed their own version of the software to support their languages. Try searching for Israeli sbf.

7) If you mean apps you paid for yes you can redownload them.

9) look through the forums for tutorial and read everything first.

Enjoy youre phone.

Sent from my MB526 using XDA
    It is not dangerous, the only dangerous part is flashing sbfs, because if u flash a newer version you can't be able to flash your previous sbf (downgrade). Just flash only the same sbf you have now. Your phone is not rooted, you have to root it. When you root it you will be able to use apps that require root, and to install a custom recovery (u need it to install custom roms). Obviously if it's a paid app you have to pay for it, even on ics. CM7 (gingerbread) is stable, and CM9 (ics) is not stable yet, it has some bugs, but it works really well. The only consequence is flashing a newer bootloader version, defy is hard to brick.
    Cyanogenmod is not a sbf. First you have to flash your sbf, and then root your phone. The sbf will be your stock rom, and cm your custom rom (it comes in a .zip flashable with recovery).