MHL HDMI movie output with subtitle

Search This thread

redzion

Jan 12, 2009
Godic
www.simple-shop.si
I have problem to find app which support movie play via HDMI output with subtitle.
On my device I see movie playing with subtitle (.srt) but on TV I see only movie but withouth subtitle.
Does anybody have any proposal how to fix that or which app do show subtitle on output HDMI. To include subtitle into movie as is not optional becouse I can't convert movie every time I want to look TV via phone MHL.

For movies I think format like .avi, .mkv, mp4 etc...

thanks for proposals...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

beverpower

Mar 20, 2011
The standard video player support subtitles!

I have tried both standard and mobo player, both show subtitle on the TV using MHL!

redzion: Does the sub and video file got exactly the same name? And is the sub file an .srt file? If not, try converting the sub file to .srt

redzion

Jan 12, 2009
Godic
www.simple-shop.si
ok. problem was in filename.. strange that subs did work on device but not on tv, now when subs have same name work on boths sides..

thank you...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

daneel_

Apr 2, 2009
What i have found about stock player is you can't have more than one subtitle file for example:

nameofthevideofile.ENG.srt
nameofthevideofile.SPA.srt

I know mVideoPlayer can load different srt files but i'm not sure it can display the subtitles over MHL. I'm going to try it and post results.

daneel_

Apr 2, 2009
Ok my little experiment with subtitles and MHL:

Stock player shows subtitles both phone and MHL
mVideoPlayer only shows subtitles on the phone screen
MoboPlayer only shows subtitles on the phone screen
RockPlayer shows subtitles both phone and MHL only in software decoding mode. In hardware decoding software subtitles are shown only on the phone screen
DicePlayer only shows subtitles on the phone screen

Those are the tests so far. Only mVideoPlayer allows me to choose the srt file (several languages for example).

Last edited:

uriby

May 26, 2012
Had the same problem and answer bellow helped me to see the subtitles on TV screen. The only limitation I currently see is that the internal player control the size of font on the phone screen but not change it externally. In addition, the subtitles position in both screens are slightly different, which point on different processing for internal and external view.
In addition I had a problem that the Hebrew subtitles does not shown but I saw question marks.
After some investigation and tests I found that the internal player on my Galaxy 2 accept only unicode srt files, designed for RTL read. Since most of the subtitles in Hebrew are historically published as ANSI and LTR read (since the DVD appliance days that were limited to this format. Currently most software and streamers read all formats) I had to convert it twice:
1) Open the ANSI file in Subtitles Workshop and fix punctuation (Subtitles Workshop works only with ANSI files).
2) Convert the file to Unicode (using Notepad "save as" command and choosing Unicode or UTF-8 format).

BTW, usually I use mVideoPlayer. It requires RTL file so I had to do the first step any way before transferring the movie to the phone, but then it doesn't support the Unicode file that I saved. After more test I found that it plays UTF-8 files. Since the internal player is luckily support both Unicode and UTF-8 formats, I can keep only one file in UTF-8 format and RTL direction of punctuation.
The only problem is that Subtitles Workshop doesn't support not Unicode neither UTF-8, so if the srt file is originally in these format, I can't fix the punctuation direction (I didn't find another tool) unless I lose the special characters like notes you can find mainly in musical.

Hope this helps for other users, specially for RTL language users (Hebrew/Arabic).

Last edited:

xhaniGS2

Nov 1, 2011
Kosova

RockPlayer shows subtitles both phone and MHL only in software decoding mode. In hardware decoding software subtitles are shown only on the phone screen

Those are the tests so far. Only mVideoPlayer allows me to choose the srt file (several languages for example).

You just made my day.. looking for this answer for 1 week :)

Thanks

njmata

Jul 31, 2010
I use MoboPlayer and BsPlayer and both reproduce video with subtitle on TV via MHL, only you has to play the video with Soft Decoding.

madboy34

Aug 2, 2012
Hdmi with subs

I dont know if i help you but i made it to see movie from samsung galaxy s2 to tv with subs.I open e.m. total video converter,put movie with subs for permanent use and i play with mvideoplayer on my tv and the subs play perfect.I am from Greece and my subs play ok.Sorry for my English.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.