[HOW-TO] Unbrick your Transformer Prime (or not)

Search This thread

ronny71

Jan 2, 2012
You need adb files... I've attached them, if you don't have them. Also, you need to issue the commands from the folder that you have the adb files in (shift + right click, open command prompt here).

Also, issue this command first to start adb "adb devices"

Thanx a lot ...I did that yesterday...It wurked without a hitch...Im up and runnin again...:D

newellj79

Jan 2, 2011
OnePlus 8
help

So like a idiot I used goo manager to try and flash the latest aokp to tp using cwm touch. It boots loops to recovery. Looks like this is the first option in the the op. Anyways im using ubuntu and when i connect my tablet to my pc while in recovery and run adb devices i get ????????????????? no permissions. I've searched and I can't find a way to get it setup up right. Anybody know what i need to do so that adb will correctly recoginize my tablet in recovery? Thanks guys.

sunfirex

May 5, 2008
So like a idiot I used goo manager to try and flash the latest aokp to tp using cwm touch. It boots loops to recovery. Looks like this is the first option in the the op. Anyways im using ubuntu and when i connect my tablet to my pc while in recovery and run adb devices i get ????????????????? no permissions. I've searched and I can't find a way to get it setup up right. Anybody know what i need to do so that adb will correctly recoginize my tablet in recovery? Thanks guys.

Do you have the drivers installed correctly? Was it identifying your device before you bricked it? Or did you just install Ubuntu to try to unbrick?

Dai323

Nov 28, 2009
Cologne Germany
www.couporando.co.uk
All I can say is THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for this thread. It LITERALLY saved my ass. I sold my Galaxy Tab 10.1 last week and my new Prime arrived yesterday. I naturally rooted it, but guess I got too used to using Odin in Samsung to expect such issues! But I found out a few things that might help out users that have Brick 1A.

So I unlocked, flashed cwm, installed a custom ROM, and all was well. I then saw the touch version of CWM laying around and thought "cool! I ll flash that in CWM" as instructed. I flashed, no error messages, hit reboot, and bam...CWM loop.

I freaked out. I have rooted lots of devices (I work at AndroidPIT) but never had a scare as bad as this one. No matter what I tried, it went back to recovery, and not the touch one I had flashed. So I found this thread and a LIFESAVING ADB setup tutorial here:

http://www.support-4-you.com/main/i...d-adb-installation&catid=40:how-tos&Itemid=57

and the fix for it here (http://www.support-4-you.com/main/i...e-packaged-adb-sdk&catid=40:how-tos&Itemid=57)

I had never really had to use ADB in the past, and the guide made it so easy. So I executed the OP commands and BAM, device rebooted! But then it happened...

I booted to recovery again and flashed a new ROM, and then hit reboot. Same issue. Apparently my CWM file was still corrupted. The ADB fix commands were right, but the corrupted CWM remained.

So this time, I entered in the commands, then rebooted back to fastboot. I then followed this guide to reflash CWM:

http://transformerprimeroot.com/tra...orkmod-recovery-5-8-2-0-on-transformer-prime/

Flash was successful. I then went to CWM again, wiped, flashed a new ROM, and now all is more or less back to normal. I cant reboot into CWM via ROM Manager or with Quick Boot, so for now I guess I will still need to do it by holding power + volume down, ect, but I can live with that for now.

Hope it helps someone else, and thanks again for this thread! To any previous Galaxy Tab 10.1 users out there who now have a prime...ODIN HAS SPOILED US! This tablet is a different ball game, and I see now I need to be A LOT more careful with it.

Last edited:

fordwolden

May 2, 2012
Do you have the drivers installed correctly? Was it identifying your device before you bricked it? Or did you just install Ubuntu to try to unbrick?

I stressed around with this for a long time. The UN drivers didn't work for me, I found a download earlier in this thread (adb.rar) and that got it going. I installed and uninstalled for hours and finally got it working.

LTLFTCer

Apr 23, 2010
I had been fighting with the same exact problem for the past 2 days!
I just fixed it by downloading the .21 firmware from Asus and renaming the extracted file EP201_SDUPDATE.zip. Manual update method from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1570696&page=13 post 128.
I am now up and running and if I can get adb going again I will do the downgrade and root. I probably will not mess with the build.prop for a while. Good Luck

Thanks. I will try that. You just stuck the file on a microsd and booted into stock recovery?

sunfirex

May 5, 2008
Update: I was able to push AOKP over, install, and I now have a recovered tablet.

So, I've made some progress with my tablet.

I was able to push the AOKP blob file from fastboot. I'm now back in recovery.

I had done a factory reset prior and have no installation of AOKP on the internal SD.

Here is my problem now:

I can get into recovery. If I do an "adb devices" it lists the serial and says it's in recovery. If I do "adb get-state" the state is unknown. I can push the adb reboot recovery command...no problem.

I cannot, however, push any files to the tablet, and not sure why.

Tried using "adb push aokp_TFP_milestone5.zip /sdcard/"

and it just hangs. It doesn't actually push the file.

I am using the Naked drivers.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

Holly Sweet Baby Jesus!!!!!

Thank God!!! *Breaths sigh of relief*

Problem/Issue:
- Was on AOKP Milestone 5.
- Installed TWRP Recovery via fastboot (over CWM).
- Made Backup.
- Installed CM9, played with it for a day or so.
- Wanted to go back to AOKP... Restored TWRP Backup
- Upon Reboot, stuck at boot screen (EEE Pad Screen).
- No recovery, only options were wipe & fastboot
- Flashing either version of recovery yielded no results... still stuck.

Solution:
- Download AKOP Rom zip again to computer. (or which ever particular rom you restored).
- boot into fastboot
- flash recovery via "fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.1.8-tf201.img" <--- CWM Touch Version
- Extract boot.blob from Rom .zip
- flash boot.blob via "fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash boot boot.blob"
- reboot via "fastboot -i 0x0b05 reboot"

BOOTING UP & Recovery Access!!!

This is what I did, and this is what saved me.

THANK YOU.

All I had to do was push the blob file thru fastboot.

Last edited:

LTLFTCer

Apr 23, 2010
Exactly.

You probably know already but remember to unzip the downloaded file and rename the zip within.

That was the issue, I tried this method before since the file was on my computer, but I never unzipped when I put it on the SDCard. This worked perfectly. Thanks so much. Now I guess I have a used Prime to sell.

Dai323

Nov 28, 2009
Cologne Germany
www.couporando.co.uk
Damn...recovered from brick 1a, got aokp running and all is good (tried to flash touch cwm which resulted in cwm loop). BUT...when I try to reboot to recovery from power menu, rom manager, or quick boot app, the tablet just does a normal reboot.

Any ideas how to boot back to cwm from the ROM directly?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Swiftks

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 16, 2011
The Woodlands, TX
Update: I was able to push AOKP over, install, and I now have a recovered tablet.

So, I've made some progress with my tablet.

I was able to push the AOKP blob file from fastboot. I'm now back in recovery.

I had done a factory reset prior and have no installation of AOKP on the internal SD.

Here is my problem now:

I can get into recovery. If I do an "adb devices" it lists the serial and says it's in recovery. If I do "adb get-state" the state is unknown. I can push the adb reboot recovery command...no problem.

I cannot, however, push any files to the tablet, and not sure why.

Tried using "adb push aokp_TFP_milestone5.zip /sdcard/"

and it just hangs. It doesn't actually push the file.

In CWM, mount the /system (under mounts & partitions if I remember correctly), then issue the adb push command for the rom zip to the /sdcard, unmount /system, check to see if the zip is now available to flash.

Sent from my CM7 Atrix.

Last edited:

Swiftks

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 16, 2011
The Woodlands, TX
Damn...recovered from brick 1a, got aokp running and all is good (tried to flash touch cwm which resulted in cwm loop). BUT...when I try to reboot to recovery from power menu, rom manager, or quick boot app, the tablet just does a normal reboot.

Any ideas how to boot back to cwm from the ROM directly?

CWM is not yet compatible with the reboot into recovery options yet, unless you're using one of the 2 modded versions of CWM Recovery.

Also, to insure CWM touch recovery is property installed, I'd install via fast boot.

Sent from my CM7 Atrix.

Dai323

Nov 28, 2009
Cologne Germany
www.couporando.co.uk
CWM is not yet compatible with the reboot into recovery options yet, unless you're using one of the 2 modded versions of CWM Recovery.

Also, to insure CWM touch recovery is property installed, I'd install via fast boot.

Sent from my CM7 Atrix.

Thank you. I ll be sure to do that again just to be on the safe side.

Swiftks

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 16, 2011
The Woodlands, TX
please help,
i have got brick 1a
i have followed this guide to get adb working:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1387527
but i just get device not found:confused:
please help me
many thanks

See post #279 of this thread for my adb files. Unzip them to a folder on your pc. Boot into CWM Recovery, connect Prime to PC via USB cable, issue all commands from the adb folder.

Open command prompt in adb folder by Shift + right click -> open command prompt here.

Check adb connection by typing: adb devices
If it sees your device, issue the commands in this thread's OP to solve issue.

kbluebig

Jul 3, 2010
Thank you so freakin much

Been running stock rooted image for awhile without unlocking the bootloader. Finally decided to unlock the bootloader which went thru with no problems and loaded the Team EOS rom, again went thru with no problems. Then I went to reboot the prime using the recovery reboot option and I get repeat reboots to CWM over and over.

Option 1a fixed it....Thanks, thought I was screwed there for a second

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,
    I just wanted to put some information together on how to recover your bricked Prime (if possible).

DISCLAIMER
    I am in no way responsible for what you do with your Prime, even when you are following these (my) instructions.
    There is always the risk of making it worse and this risk is completely down to you!!!

Currently we know 4 states of bricked Primes whereas 3 are more or less widespread.

• Brick 1a: You unlocked your Prime with ASUS' tool, did some stuff to it (like flashing a custom ROM) and now it always boots into recovery instead of your ROM.
      You can't select to boot to fastboot or anything else. No matter what you do it's always the recovery. (happening to many users)
      -> Please go to Option 1a

• Brick 1b: You unlocked your Prime with ASUS' tool, did some stuff to it (like flashing a custom ROM) and now once you want to boot your new ROM it shows you the bootanimation but suddenly tells you something about an "unsuccessful encryption" (it's a real android screen, with a touch button etc.)
      Once you hit the "Reset" button it restarts but you can't boot the ROM anymore, you are now caught in a CWM loop (much like Brick 1a)
      -> Please go to Option 1b

• Brick 2: When booting up your Prime hangs at the splashscreen (the screen with "EeePad" in the middle) and tells you something about an "unrecoverable bootloader error" (happened so far to at least 4 users)
      -> Please go to Option 2

• Brick 3: (After messing around with your Prime in recovery it won't boot any ROM anymore, you can however still access fastboot and the recovery)
      Update: This particular brick happens due to a bad kernel flash. If you are flashing kernels via the ASUS /staging method, make sure /staging is unmounted before flashing stuff to it, otherwise it WILL faill and brick.

Update 2: It seems we can't use the old fix for this brick anymore. Sometimes it does more bad than good. :(
      ->Please go to Option 3

Option 1a

Don't be afraid, your Prime should be recoverable. This is the good news. The bad news is, that you need quite some knowledge of ADB.

To recover your Prime (most likely) you need the following:
    • A working ADB setup (please google that if you don't have it, "tutorial setup adb" or something like that should do the trick)
    • The USB-Cable to connect the Prime to your PC
    • A few minutes time

Now do the following:
    • Make sure your Prime is in Recovery mode (CWM)

• Open a cmd line on your pc

• Type: "adb shell"

• You should see a "#" now

• Once you have that "#", please type: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 bs=100 count=1 and press [Enter]

• Now type: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=16 count=1 and press [Enter]

• Exit the shell and reboot your Prime via CWM

• It should not reboot to CWM automatically now. It either boots your ROM or is stuck at the splash screen. If it is stuck, boot to recovery and install any ROM you want. :)

Option 1b

Good news, this brick should be no problem. :)
    Basically you need to first do Option 1a, but don't reboot the Prime just yet.
    • After executing the dd commands, you need to reboot your Prime to the bootloader menu and NOT the ROM itself.
    • To do this you need to reboot your device while holding down the Volume_Down key.
    • Once the white text in the top left corner appears release the buttons.
    • Now don't press anything until you can see a menu with 3 icons, an Android symbol, an USB symbol and a Wipe Data symbol.
    • Select the Wipe Data icon with pressing Volume_Down twice. Now press Volume_Up twice to reset the device to factory state.
    • WARNING: OF COURSE THIS WILL DELETE ALL YOUR DATA!!!! EVEN THE INTERNAL MEMORY AKA SDCARD!!! CURRENTLY I DON'T KNOW ANY OTHER WAY TO RECOVER FROM THIS BRICK!!!
    • After the wipe is done, you should be able to flash a new ROM or boot the existing ROM :)

Option 2

Sorry, but your Prime is most likely hard bricked.
    This can happen if you try to apply a stock blob file after you installed CWM. There is currently no way to recover from this. :(

Option 3

If you are in this situation (Prime doesn't boot but you can access both recovery and fastboot) please go to #asus-transformer on freenode and ask for help there. We currently don't know if you can recover from this state.
    Do not, I repeat, do not try to flash a stock ASUS ROM/blob file.
    Doing this you will most likely hard brick your Prime.

We now found a way to un-brick this one too :)
    This one is a bit more risky, so make sure you follow all instructions with a bit of extra care.

Update: It seems the old method for this brick could make things even worse on some Primes.
    On some primes this can be easily fixed, however putting this in a guide could do more harm than good.

Troubleshooting
    • Problems getting ADB to work in recovery mode? Only seeing something like "Full Android on Emulator" in the device manager instead of your tablet?
      Well I have a posible fix for you: Got to this thread and download the drivers. Then override the drivers for the Emulator device manually with the new ones. ADB should work now :)

--- Read here how to prevent future bricks and other common problems ---

Bits & pieces
    You might want to have a look here for a possible solution for some bootloader errors (It's from a TF300):
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=44244313&postcount=12

Credits:
    thx to kmdm for his solution on Brick 1a and Brick 3 :)
    Not sure if you have the same problem that I had(stuck at eee pad screen with no access to recovery). I used fastboot to flash recovery and stock boot.blob to resolve the issue.

Holly Sweet Baby Jesus!!!!!

Thank God!!! *Breaths sigh of relief*

Problem/Issue:
    - Was on AOKP Milestone 5.
    - Installed TWRP Recovery via fastboot (over CWM).
    - Made Backup.
    - Installed CM9, played with it for a day or so.
    - Wanted to go back to AOKP... Restored TWRP Backup
    - Upon Reboot, stuck at boot screen (EEE Pad Screen).
    - No recovery, only options were wipe & fastboot
    - Flashing either version of recovery yielded no results... still stuck.

Solution:
    - Download AKOP Rom zip again to computer. (or which ever particular rom you restored).
    - boot into fastboot
    - flash recovery via "fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.1.8-tf201.img" <--- CWM Touch Version
    - Extract boot.blob from Rom .zip
    - flash boot.blob via "fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash boot boot.blob"
    - reboot via "fastboot -i 0x0b05 reboot"

BOOTING UP & Recovery Access!!!
    stuck on Brick options 1a
    adb devices cannot see my device
    does not show up in device manager
    But I do have at other devices "Full Android on Emulator"
    Any Help
    Thanks

Try instaling these drivers here manually please

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1426502

Adb should work fine afterwards :)
    Okay I added a 4th brick to the list. It's a variant of the first Brick and it is recoverable :)
    Okay we successfully un-bricked a Brick 3 just now. :)
    Updating the thread tomorrow.