[Q] what to do????

Search This thread

red423

Jan 6, 2014
Ok help!! I finally broke down and bought an unlocked zoom on the net. It is a great phone, we love it. I use ultrame for a carrier, now it comes down to this> The phone originally is ATT, I read all over here and am confused, if I root it is there a way to remove the ATT software?? will it really mess with the GPS?? will I loose other functions on the phone??? I am confused and yes I talk to myself at times. But I am getting fifty responses all different as to what to do, or just leave the phone alone? It works great, camera is beyond belief. any opinions?????????thanks red423

Last edited:

jzsidebott

Apr 23, 2011
Ok help!! I finally broke down and bought an unlocked zoom on the net. It is a great phone, we love it. I use ultrame for a carrier, now it comes down to this> The phone originally is ATT, I read all over here and am confused, if I root it is there a way to remove the ATT software?? will it really mess with the GPS?? will I loose other functions on the phone??? I am confused and yes I talk to myself at times. But I am getting fifty responses all different as to what to do, or just leave the phone alone? It works great, camera is beyond belief. any opinions?????????thanks red423

If you root with kingoroot nothing will happen to your gps.. Mine works just fine. After root, use titanium backup to delete the att bloat and you will have no worries.

Ramsey

May 23, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec

I understand your worries but as the above member said, you have nothing to worry about. I have the International unlocked version (Not AT&T's) and I rooted it with 'Kingo Root' 2 weeks ago and everything is fine.

So, by acquiring root, you can use Titanium Backup to disable/freeze or delete AT&T apks. Now I suggest you only freeze them first, reboot your phone, use it a bit, make sure there are no errors happening since some APKs are needed by the system for your phone to function or else it will crash and not boot-up properly. So freeze first, test your phone, if all is good, delete them. I personally only delete apks that I am sure I don't need or those that I can re-download from the Play Store if need be. The rest, I just freeze them and forget about them. They can't act on their own if they're frozen =).

Btw, you can still disable/freeze apps without root by going to System settings - More - Application manager, and swipe to "All" category, and find the ones you don't want, click on them, and then click on "Turn Off". (I still prefer Titanium Backup since it shows me all apks and freezes all of them)

Last edited:

red423

Jan 6, 2014
got the root

Ok I got the root, so the titanium says no freeze without donating, there are a few ATT apps that show up, on the zoom which ones have you guys just removed forever???? or is there another program like titanium to remove att bloat ware???? AND A BIG THANK YOU FOR REPLYING!!!!!!!!! I am all rooted now and want to make sure if i erase apk's they are the correct ones I cant freeze. red423

I understand your worries but as the above member said, you have nothing to worry about. I have the International unlocked version (Not AT&T's) and I rooted it with 'Kingo Root' 2 weeks ago and everything is fine.

So, by acquiring root, you can use Titanium Backup to disable/freeze or delete AT&T apks. Now I suggest you only freeze them first, reboot your phone, use it a bit, make sure there are no errors happening since some APKs are needed by the system for your phone to function or else it will crash and not boot-up properly. So freeze first, test your phone, if all is good, delete them. I personally only delete apks that I am sure I don't need or those that I can re-download from the Play Store if need be. The rest, I just freeze them and forget about them. They can't act on their own if they're frozen =).

Btw, you can still disable/freeze apps without root by going to System settings - More - Application manager, and swipe to "All" category, and find the ones you don't want, click on them, and then click on "Turn Off". (I still prefer Titanium Backup since it shows me all apks and freezes all of them)

Ramsey

May 23, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Ok I got the root, so the titanium says no freeze without donating, there are a few ATT apps that show up, on the zoom which ones have you guys just removed forever???? or is there another program like titanium to remove att bloat ware???? AND A BIG THANK YOU FOR REPLYING!!!!!!!!! I am all rooted now and want to make sure if i erase apk's they are the correct ones I cant freeze. red423

Sorry I am using the International version so I don't know which AT&T to remove. I didn't get any carrier bloatware with my phone.

red423

Jan 6, 2014
You guys rock!!!!!!

Well I have disabled several of the old ATT apps. and the phone screams, very impressive. If go to samsung will it update to kit kat ????
Got this far why not go all the way????????????? thanks red423

Ramsey

May 23, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Well I have disabled several of the old ATT apps. and the phone screams, very impressive. If go to samsung will it update to kit kat ????
Got this far why not go all the way????????????? thanks red423

Great! glad it worked out. I had an S4 prior to this and this Zoom is quicker and smoother :) I just miss the bigger screen + resolution and thinner body.

There's no kitkat update yet but apparently they announced it and should be out in the coming months hopefully!