Escalating Ringtone

Search This thread

fifedogg

Apr 12, 2010
I've noticed my phone always starts to ring at where I set the volume to and then escalates to be very loud after a few seconds. I didnt see any settings to change this. Is this happening to anybody else?

adamr240

Nov 26, 2010
Is it in your pocket when it does that?
I noticed in the HTC Sense demo video it says if it is in your pocket or purse it will ring loud so you can hear it. I think it has to do with proximity and light sources. If i have it sitting out, it will ring quietly, but it is always loud in my pocket.

fifedogg

Apr 12, 2010
Is it in your pocket when it does that?
I noticed in the HTC Sense demo video it says if it is in your pocket or purse it will ring loud so you can hear it. I think it has to do with proximity and light sources. If i have it sitting out, it will ring quietly, but it is always loud in my pocket.

Actually yeah. Thats usually when it gets loud. I dont really like that as it gets super loud sometimes. Why wouldnt they have a setting for this?

rjd728

Oct 1, 2010
Any news on this? Because I also find it quite annoying that the ringer is so loud even when I'm sitting in the quiet office...

I have the same issue! It happens on ALL Sense ROM's. If I am running AOSP (CM6 or MIUI) it is not an issue. Are there any ways to disable this setting if it is supposed to do so? Mine is on my belt in a case and when I'm in the office it rings way too loud. If the phone is on my desk it rings as I have the volume set.

hausman

May 22, 2006
Actually I found you can disable the loud ringer in settings really easy

Settings --> Sound --> Pocket mode

There's no way to adjust the volume though,

What device/ROM are you running? There is no setting for Pocket mode under settings -> sound on the stock EVO Shift 4G (at least not on mine). Anyone else find this?

rjd728

Oct 1, 2010
Did a complete wipe 2x using Amon Ra Recovery 2.3 and then flashed a stock image file from HBOOT and updated WiMAX, PRI & NV Radio. The issue was not present on the stock ROM. Wiped the stock ROM and flashed Myn's RLS5.....no more issues. Something was corrupt and enabled the sensor to trigger ring loud (when covered or senses low light) as it is designed to do on the Shift. The EVO does not have Pocket Mode in settings. Whatever the cause.....it is now resolved! :cool:

nurrwick

May 24, 2010
I sent a tweet in the direction of @htc about this yesterday, but they haven't answered. Hopefully we get an update that gives us a 2.x release of sense, not this weird "you have some of the features of new sense but not the whole package." The other feature that I know is there is the one where you can flip the phone over to silence the ring, and in fact, BOTH features are undocumented - the user manual for the shift doesn't mention declining a call by flipping the phone OR the word pocket except in warnings about where not to keep it.

I don't have any hope of a satisfactory answer, though, because in an earlier answer to someone about bugs, they said to submit something at htc.com/support and make sure to mark it a bug report - you can't do that anywhere on the email form and the other two options for support aren't things you "submit." The two times I've contacted them by email were also tremendous disappointments, so... there you go.

hausman

May 22, 2006
Tried to second your post on HTC's support forum but their forum software is misconfigured and my email server is rejecting their mail because it is not a fully-qualified hostname. Meh. Like you, I don't hold out enough hope of a fix to bother with the registration process.

You mentioned flip to silence, but there is actually a setting on the Evo Shift 4G to silence the ringtone when the phone is moved. It's under settings - sounds, and it is "quiet ring on pickup". Since the action of flipping the phone involves moving it, I wonder if you are seeing that setting working when you flip your phone over. My phone stops ringing (if it's not in a pocket) when I pick it up off the table. It doesn't decline the call, it just stops the ringer.

Edit: eh, I made an allowance on my mail server so HTC's misconfigured SMTP server could send my activation message and let me register.

By the way, I posted a workaround on Android Central that works for the way I use the phone. I created a silent ringtone. Then I set the phone to vibrate as well. So in my pocket I feel/hear the vibration but I don't get the ridiculously-loud rings. But I can hear my notifications at normal volume. When the phone is on my desk, the vibration and screen lighting up are enough of an alert for me. Obviously this won't work if you ever keep the phone in a bag or somewhere that you can't hear or feel the vibration, but it works for me as a pocket user.

Last edited:

nurrwick

May 24, 2010
Three ticks up from silenced on the volume rocker:
Picking the phone up off my desk quiets the ring, flipping it silences the ring. I wonder if turning off quiet ring on pickup will turn off flip to silence... might as well try it.

aaand no it doesn't. Pickup didn't quiet (per the setting now being off) but flip still did silence the ring.

Interesting note: flip-to-silence is actually a silencer; it doesn't decline the call immediately.

hausman

May 22, 2006
Three ticks up from silenced on the volume rocker:
Picking the phone up off my desk quiets the ring, flipping it silences the ring. I wonder if turning off quiet ring on pickup will turn off flip to silence... might as well try it.

aaand no it doesn't. Pickup didn't quiet (per the setting now being off) but flip still did silence the ring.

Interesting note: flip-to-silence is actually a silencer; it doesn't decline the call immediately.

Ok, makes sense - since I use a silent ringtone, the "quiet" and "silent" are the same to me, LOL. But yes, it doesn't decline the call.

I actually liked the Touch Pro2 where flipping during a call would turn on the speakerphone. Why can't they keep good features like that instead of forcing this new stuff down our throats with no option to turn it off.

nurrwick

May 24, 2010
Bump/Update: After two tweets on the issue and an entire week of the post I made sitting on the HTC forums, I have had enough of being ignored and went to the email support option.

I'm not resetting my phone again, so I instead borrowed the New Issue text from Google Code project pages and sent steps to duplicate.

Anybody else that might have this problem is welcome to weigh in; I gave links to this thread and the one over on Android Central in my forum post on HTC, which is linked in the support message I sent.

nurrwick

May 24, 2010
Another update: Today I received my response; I don't have to reset my phone (yet) and my concern is being escalated to whatever the next level of CS is called.

They say escalated department is first-come, first-served, so it may be a while before I know more.

hausman

May 22, 2006
The problem is that HTC sees this as a feature, not a bug. They market this as a way to hear your phone when it's in a bag. While it makes perfect sense to us end-users to have an option to turn this off, from a lab testing standpoint it's not a priority because the function works as designed. If HTC had really thought this through, they should realize that there are some things phones should never do, and ringing at maximum volume unless specifically directed by the user is one of them.

The funny thing is that I'd like almost the exact opposite behavior. I'd prefer the phone to ring (quietly) on my desk, and automatically switch to vibrate when it's in my pocket (as determined by the prox sensor). But people who carry their phones in bags or purses wouldn't benefit from this option. Everybody's needs are different; HTC just determined what they think is the most common scenario and coded Sense that way. I have to give them credit for thinking up the idea, but since it doesn't work for everyone it should be more flexible.

Thanks for taking the time to bring this to their attention. It may well be that a couple of generations of phones from now we'll start seeing more options in these settings, which would be fantastic.

nurrwick

May 24, 2010
Update: HTC has been calling me at work, once yesterday once today. I have not been at work this week but will be in tomorrow; they gave me a number to call if I wanted to get in touch with them sooner. I will be calling them back as soon as I'm done with my planned tasks tomorrow (assuming they haven't called me first).

Here's hoping news about when we get an update that stops this nonsense comes swiftly!