[Q] Note 3 or S5 ?

Search This thread

drakester09

Jan 10, 2012
now I understand, thank you. I definitely don't need LTE as my plan is with unlimited 3G, and I don't need custom ROMs, but I'd prefer if they were available just in case I get bored and wanna flash something other than stock :D so yeah, Custom ROMs = YES ; LTE=NO I guess I'd go with the one which can last longer performance wise with little to no lags (i mean gaming lag) in the upcoming few years (guess it's the Qualcomm one) :) + Exynos variant is kinda hard to find in my country (if it's even gonna be available)!

Please tell me that the Qualcomm International version has FM Radio just like my S3 Mini. I really, really love that feature!!!

Both Qualcomm and Exynos don't have FM radio.

I think most of the Samsung flagships no longer have it since S4.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Reactions: koragg97

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
In my opinion, definitely S5.

I have had the Note 3 for a while and now the S5. The S5 has better battery life, is more manageable one handed, is water resistant, has a better camera and a better display. Plus the new touchwiz is so much better and better looking. But to each his own. I personally don't use the S pen.

Sent from my SM-G900F/T/I/M/P/W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: koragg97

mediumsteak

Nov 25, 2010
Toronto ON
Listen to what the majority of the users here say, and stick with the Note 3.

After an owner of both devices since launch, my experience with the Note 3 and the Galaxy S5 produced a mixture of feelings which lean dramatically more towards the Note 3.

Lets break it down and quickly summarize each device.

Galaxy S5
Pros:
-Better camera with improved low light performance
-Unique hardware features including the fingerprint scanner and the heartbeat sensor

Cons:
-Battery drain issues from various sources including Google Play Services
-Strange sounding muffled speaker caused by the IP67 protection
-10 GB usable storage space. I had to spend an extra 46$ to purchase a 64 GB micro SD card on Amazon. This could be well considered as a hidden cost to own which you may not realize upon purchase.

Note 3
Pros:
-Longer battery life. I came to this conclusion after questioning 2 other colleagues that work at a Canadian Carrier (Rogers) who also have made the switch from Note 3 to S5. We agreed unanimously that the though the battery life on the S5 is stellar, the Note 3 is still the undisputed king.
-S Pen. Quite useful for those who prefer to hand write instead of type.
-Larger screen. The capability to fit more content on the screen generates more productivity.
-3 GB ram! This is one of the most important differences you will notice when using both devices. On the Note 3 you will never have to reload an application that you opened from the "recent apps" list. The performance boost that the 3 GB ram provides you outweighs the faster Snapdragon 805 dramatically.
-32 GB memory leaves you approximately 24 GB of usable space. This is 240% of the 10 GB available on the S5!

Cons:
-Often requires 2-handed usage due to the massive screen.

As you can see, on behalf of my colleagues and I, it is strongly suggested that you pick the Note 3 over the S5.

Regardless of which device you pick, I hope you enjoy it. They are both great phones!

Mandeep148

May 10, 2012
Ludhiana

After an owner of both devices since launch, my experience with the Note 3 and the Galaxy S5 produced a mixture of feelings which lean dramatically more towards the Note 3.

Galaxy S5
Pros:
-Unique hardware features including the fingerprint scanner and the heartbeat sensor

Cons:
-10 GB usable storage space. I had to spend an extra 46$ to purchase a 64 GB micro SD card on Amazon. This could be well considered as a hidden cost to own which you may not realize upon purchase.

Note 3
Pros:
-Longer battery life. I came to this conclusion after questioning 2 other colleagues that work at a Canadian Carrier (Rogers) who also have made the switch from Note 3 to S5. We agreed unanimously that the though the battery life on the S5 is stellar, the Note 3 is still the undisputed king.
-Larger screen. The capability to fit more content on the screen generates more productivity.
-3 GB ram! This is one of the most important differences you will notice when using both devices. On the Note 3 you will never have to reload an application that you opened from the "recent apps" list. The performance boost that the 3 GB ram provides you outweighs the faster Snapdragon 805 dramatically.
-32 GB memory leaves you approximately 24 GB of usable space. This is 240% of the 10 GB available on the S5!

Cons:

As you can see, on behalf of my colleagues and I, it is strongly suggested that you pick the Note 3 over the S5.

Regardless of which device you pick, I hope you enjoy it. They are both great phones!

I agree with you. I like note 3 but will not buy just because of new touchwize in s5,which I can't enjoy in note 3. Only because of that I am sad about note 3 its mostly same os as old s4 with spen software

Sent from my Micromax A74 using XDA Free mobile app

sandeep20064096

Dec 14, 2012
Did you enable Power saving mode?
The screen shots are with power saving mode or without power saving mode and can you please let me know how much time your phone is taking to fully charge.How is the battery life with Ultra power saving mode

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Totally agree.

My stats with the G900H (with around 30min of voice calling) with 59% battery remaining.

etasu7u7.jpg

4uzavy8y.jpg

Hi Drakester09

The screen shots are with power saving mode or without power saving mode and can you please let me know how much time your phone is taking to fully charge.How is the battery life with Ultra power saving mode

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

drakester09

Jan 10, 2012

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

[/QUOTE]

I don't use power saving mode of any kind.

I leave charging overnight but I think it doesn't takes too long to charge.

G

GuestK00315

i strongly recommend note 3 if you want iphone like smoothness screen at s5 may be brighter but it is a) so slower note3 has 67 ms latency while s5 has 110 ms ao if you want smoothneas but mote 3 but since you wrote low light performance too i recommend htc one m8 since it has 47 ms latency and awesome camera for low light =)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

oh and heart sensor is inaccurate at s5 you can look it up on Internet

drakester09

Jan 10, 2012
i strongly recommend note 3 if you want iphone like smoothness screen at s5 may be brighter but it is a) so slower note3 has 67 ms latency while s5 has 110 ms ao if you want smoothneas but mote 3 but since you wrote low light performance too i recommend htc one m8 since it has 47 ms latency and awesome camera for low light =)

You can tell the delta of 43ms and even 20ms in day to day usage? Just wondering.

There are a million other things that make these phones seem smoother or more responsive than others, that 43 or 20 ms difference that you mention is not at the top of the list,

G

GuestK00315

buy m8 or note 3 you won't regret it

You can tell the delta of 43ms and even 20ms in day to day usage? Just wondering.

There are a million other things that make these phones seem smoother or more responsive than others, that 43 or 20 ms difference that you mention is not at the top of the list,

yes it is top of the list considering todays processers all can handle all games etc but when it comes to smoothness most important thing is responsiveness and no i didn't test it but they did
here you go http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2706200

drakester09

Jan 10, 2012
yes it is top of the list considering todays processers all can handle all gamesgames etc but when it comes to smoothness most important thing is responsiveness and no i didn't test it but they did
here you go http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2706200

No, it isn't.

Software is by large the top differentiator.

A 50ms lag is the least of your concerns when you have deadlocks or synchronous tasks, calls that are poorly optimized. Or 50 extra processes and layers on top of the platform.

Because a blog says so doesn't makes it so.

G

GuestK00315

No, it isn't.

Software is by large the top differentiator.

A 50ms lag is the least of your concerns when you have deadlocks or synchronous tasks, calls that are poorly optimized. Or 50 extra processes and layers on top of the platform.

Because a blog says so doesn't makes it so.

my opinion is also a fact. yours is not so please don't make this go any longer..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I own both. Personally I much, much prefer the Note 3.

First some advice.
    If you've got a few months left to wait, wait to see what the Note 4 is going to be. 1st week of September is when it'll be announced, should start selling early october. Also, the S5 Prime with top-specs is expected somewhere in the middle of the year. Wait for that, if you can. The current S5 is a joke.

So...

The camera on the S5 is a little better, it's IP67 and the colours on the screen are prettier. But that's about it.

The Note has a bigger screen. Yes, the S5 had a more saturated screen, but in my opinion bigger is more useful. Particularly for entertainment or multitasking.

The additional 16GB of internal storage is very, very relevant. 4.4.2 breaks moving apps to the SDcard, so you'll need it (unless you root, which breaks KNOX)

More RAM. 2GB vs 3GB. I know there are some who say "You don't need 2GB(It's actually less than that)". You do. The S5 has some horrendous lag, and the memory runs full very, very quickly.

The S5 has a slightly faster CPU (2.3Ghz vs 2.5Ghz), but the RAM is such a bottleneck that you barely notice the increase in speed. I can't for the life of me figure out why they would use only 2GB.

The Spen. Even if you're not a pen user, it comes with some nifty tools. Particularly the Pen Window is very useful, as it enables you to answer messages without switching away from your film or game. The pen also enables you to use your phone when eating, because you don't have to worry about greasy fingers on the screen.

The camera on the Note 3 is rather crap in low light. And I'm putting that nicely. It looks like an oil painting. The S5 has a slightly bigger sensor, making it a little better in low light.

And then there's the design. I can't help it, the S5 looks to me like something you buy as a toy for your 5 year old niece. It just looks so cheap. (particularly the White one..) At least the Note 3 looks like it costs 700 euro(releaseprice)...

Unless you're a fitness buff, I don't see the point of all those health gimmicks. There are functional heartrate apps that use the flashlight on the Note 3 and match the results of an actualy monitor besides it.

I do have to say the S5 is a little better at surviving drops and bumps. It can handle a bit more rough treatment. The Note 3 is fairly fragile by comparison. So if you lead an active lifestyle or are clumsy, and you don't want a case, an S5 might be a better idea.

All in all, I'd go with the Note 3 anyday. Bu tthat's my personal choice. :)

Galaxy S5
    Pros:

Cons:

Note 3
    Pros:

Cons:

Hey guys. Tomorrow I am going to buy a new phone and I am deciding between S5 and Note 3. I was going to buy the Note 3 when I just notice that In my countru the price of the Note 3 and S5 is absolutely Identical (32GB Note 3 and 16GB S5). So is the screen on the S5 really better or there isn't a big difference and how is the battery life on the both devices ? Is the Camera on the S5 better in low light or its the same as the note 3 ? Is the Speaker in the S5 better ?

From seeing both at my cellphone carrier's store:

- Note 3 has better speakers, must be because IP67 in S5.
    - Screen is better, smaller looks sharper and definitely brighter.
    - Can't tell about battery life, haven't had a Note 3 for much time. Reviewers put them in nearly equal terms with slight advantage to the S5 (AnandTech).
    - Camera is good, but low light is a weakness... so they most likely are in the same ground. None has OIS.
    - Both seem to have poor memory management, Note 3 has 3 GB of RAM though but S5 has newer, faster chipset.

I picked the S5 because of the more recent stock software (Touchwiz in S5 is quite better than the previous iteration IMHO) and the form factor, try them both if possible. The decision is more if you want a phablet or a normal factor.
    Its down to your own choice. The note 3 was just a bit large for my taste. S5 is the perfect size for me. The camera is definitely better especially in low light. (My one had a lot better low light performance but again i prefer the S5's camera as it's 16MP not 4MP). 2GB Ram are definitely not enough for this phone (I have around 500-600MB free when I close all apps) but I don't know if this bottlenecks the phone. The phone doesn't lag but its slow. Its just a slow device for a 2.5GHz Quad Core monster (as I said my one year old HTC One was faster) but this is software (touchj*zz) and it can be fixed or replaced (CyanogenMod I guess ?) The camera app is slow as sh*t. It drives me crazy it loads 3 seconds and when I want to view the picture that I have taken it freezes and loads for another 3 seconds. Again this is software and it can be fixed and on Note 3 it wasn't so much better. (the camera was a bit faster but still I find it a bit slow for my taste). So in the end of the day you still have to choose - Better camera, newer software (with faster updates I hope), and a better display (Yes, the display is a bit brighter and I think its a bit better overall, maybe becouse its smaller and it has better pixel density) or S-Pen, More Ram and bigger display.

P.S.: Also the faces of your friends when you start to wash your brand new S5 in the sink is priceless :laugh: (none of my friend thought that it was waterproof).
    So s5 is better to go,according to you? How's performance, I heard that its lagging phone? Is that true?

Sent from my Micromax A74 using XDA Free mobile app

It's silk smooth to me. I think that person who told you the device is lagging because he turn on the power saving settings and forget about it. I've seen alot of people like that.