[INFO] Nexus 4 OTA Help-Desk

Search This thread

tullnd

Aug 12, 2010
So this isnt an ota thread? Some mod closed another and all the talk I see here is doing the install manually

This is the OTA Helpdesk thread. It helps people revert to stock or near stock to be able to run any OTA.

The OTA Reference URL thread is a few pages back, because people are following the rules and not updating it....since there's no new URL to add yet.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1971169

It'll get bumped once there is a copy of the URL made available and people can pull it from that thread.

galaxyfitankit

Dec 26, 2011
gujarat
I don't understand we can't discuss about ota.. No information from Google also.... and if we discussed anything about ota mod will delete it and give warning ... aukat there should be a thread where people can discuss about news of ota like today we got hangout and Google kitkat update.. Means ota is near

Reactions: androidnandroid

nowster

Dec 30, 2012
I don't understand we can't discuss about ota.. No information from Google also.... and if we discussed anything about ota mod will delete it and give warning ... aukat there should be a thread where people can discuss about news of ota like today we got hangout and Google kitkat update.. Means ota is near

The Hangouts and Google+ updates have been in the pipeline for a week and have been a staged release. I only got G+ yesterday and got offered the new Hangouts this morning.

Given the bugs that people are reporting with KitKat factory images, it may be that Google has put a halt on the N4's OTA rollout due to some problem that's been recently discovered.

shadowdogg

Nov 23, 2011
Well, it makes this website as much of a faff as Google themselves.

Google hardly give any information as they seem to believe people communicating with other people outside Google is some kind of sin against humanity.

We can't even discuss the OTA status because of a few people, reminds me of Nintendo who drop support for something due to a small number of people causing problems. Doesn't exactly help anyone.

tullnd

Aug 12, 2010
Well, it makes this website as much of a faff as Google themselves.

Google hardly give any information as they seem to believe people communicating with other people outside Google is some kind of sin against humanity.

We can't even discuss the OTA status because of a few people, reminds me of Nintendo who drop support for something due to a small number of people causing problems. Doesn't exactly help anyone.

Who says you can't discuss it? There are two threads with very dedicated topics. This one is about issues with installing an OTA. Then there is one where the URL's reside. Some people tried to create "new" threads to put the OTA URL's in(they specifically said that in their first sentences, which is why they were closed), but a thread already exists for that.

If you want to discuss any actual information about pending OTA's, I'm sure that'd be fine.

Except people don't seem to be discussing information. They talk about what GOogle must or must not want...which...since they don't work for Google, they don't know.

Plus they spout insanity like "Google wants to keep this from us" or something. It's a corporation. Decisions are made by business case. They don't have the time to even care enough to want to hurt whatever segment you claim they are neglecting. It's a business. You roll stuff out in stages because doing it all at once makes it difficult to identify possible issues, as well as makes it hard to mitigate any possible problems that may arise. Even those who work with a physical distribution or logistics model(not with software) should fully understand this. It's basic logic. Some would say common sense, but the problem there is that common sense is apparently removed from most participants on any forum.

But if you have any info to share on the OTA's or just want to ask questions about them(and not establish your new thread as the catch-all for anything OTA-related), I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be an issue.

shadowdogg

Nov 23, 2011
Who says you can't discuss it? There are two threads with very dedicated topics. This one is about issues with installing an OTA. Then there is one where the URL's reside. Some people tried to create "new" threads to put the OTA URL's in(they specifically said that in their first sentences, which is why they were closed), but a thread already exists for that

Erm, someone did actually post a thread to the exact requirements you say, but it was still closed down and a link was posted to this thread, which is why I am saying my stuff. What I have said is not out of 'they may not like this or that', it is f.a.c.t.

Reactions: a g bell

XNemia

Mar 25, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
hello mates
I'm running the 4.4 KitKat (factory image) on my Nexus 4.
My question is why whenever I receive a missed call, the screen unlocked itself automatically, I mean the slider lock ???!

your help is appreciated ^_^

tullnd

Aug 12, 2010
Erm, someone did actually post a thread to the exact requirements you say, but it was still closed down and a link was posted to this thread, which is why I am saying my stuff. What I have said is not out of 'they may not like this or that', it is f.a.c.t.

Hi, I think you meant this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2529306

He may have meant that, but it's not what he said. He asked for people to post there when the OTA was released, which is what the thread I mentioned earlier is for. It could be construed another way, but it was still vague, so that's why they closed it. They also indicated specifically that they didn't want a million posts about when it's dropping in different locales, partly because it's not entirely driven by your location, but by the model/serial batch they release it for(which is something many people don't understand).

I get what you're saying, but they were pretty clear with why they shut the thread down. It was a vague thread that indicated it might just be a duplicate of another established one. I bet you can post a discussion on OTA of a different type, if you actually present a specific discussion that's different from the two big existing threads.

shadowdogg

Nov 23, 2011
Well, in my eyes even a 'OTA' based thread using what I would refer to as 'factory images' should mean this topic is more void. How is downloading something and flashing it on your phone considered 'over the air'?

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
Well, in my eyes even a 'OTA' based thread using what I would refer to as 'factory images' should mean this topic is more void. How is downloading something and flashing it on your phone considered 'over the air'?

Because the Over the Air file is being flashed. Not the factory image.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
Now we no longer have to hear the slow OTA whining and deal with the new OTA lag and no Google launcher whine.

Reactions: Nezam

Nezam

Aug 21, 2012
I am just going to flash stock 4.3 now.to get the OTA.. In sha Allah i will get it today.

Sent from my Nexus⁴ running franco kernel

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nexus 4 OTA Help-Desk

**4.4.4 KTU84P Available**

You want the latest OTA? You don’t want to wait? You received the OTA but it fails? You need help with the installation process? If any of those questions are yes, then this thread is for you.

First, let's talk about what an OTA is:

An OTA (Over the Air) update is the method of updating your phone's software. When the OTA is downloaded to your phone it will prompt you to reboot and install. It is not a complete image, but a series of patches to the OS. Patches in the OTA can include: bootloader, radio, system, recovery and kernel. While it's installing, the script checks the files it is patching to make sure the original files are correct. If everything is correct, the update will finish successfully. If it's not, the process will stop. That's why it is critical to make sure everything is in its "out of the box" state. Don't worry though. It is easy to get your phone back to a state where you will have your phone up and running, with the latest software.

We are also able to manually flash this file. When the URL of the OTA is discovered, you can download it and use adb or a custom recovery to apply it.

Now that you have read the important info above, Let's update your Nexus 4!

In order for the OTA to apply successfully, without intervention, you must be completely stock:

4.4.3 KTU84L
    Current Bootloader - makoz30d
    Current Radio - 2.0.1701.02
    Stock Kernel - 3.4.0-perf-ga6edd5e
    All system apps are present
    No Modifications. AT ALL.

If you meet the criteria above the OTA will complete.
    If you don’t meet the criteria or don’t want to wait for the OTA to hit your device then see below.

Current OTA's

4.4.4-KTU84P-from-4.4.3-KTU844L: http://android.clients.google.com/p....signed-occam-KTU84P-from-KTU84L.50b64331.zip Thanks @oldblue910

Legacy OTA's

All legacy OTA links can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33631631&postcount=1 Thanks @oldblue910

These are the 4 most popular scenarios. If you aren't sure where you fit, feel free to ask.

Scenario #1
    You are completely stock. Unlocked/locked bootloader. No root
    Continue to Section A

Scenario #2
    You are stock, with root. Custom Recovery without any modifications or deletions.
    Continue to Section B

Scenario #3
    You are stock, with custom kernel, any modifications or removed system apk(s)
    Continue to Section C

Scenario #4
    You are running a Custom ROM
    Continue to Section C

Section A: adb sideload

NOTE:Make sure you have the latest version of adb. It's attached at the bottom.

1) Download the OTA.zip on your PC, rename the file update.zip, then place file in the same directory as adb.
    2) Make sure you have USB Debugging checking in the Developer Options, then connect your phone.
    3) Open the command prompt from the directory above on your PC and type the command: 'adb reboot recovery'
    4) When in recovery, you’ll see an android laying down. Press power then immediately press volume up and release. The menu will appear. Select “apply update from adb”
    5) Using the command prompt type: 'adb sideload update.zip' The file will load and the update will begin.
    6) When completed, select reboot.

Section B: Flashing in a custom recovery

1) Download the OTA.zip and copy to your phone.
    2) Boot into recovery.
    3) Flash the OTA just like you would a ROM.
    4) Reboot.

Section C: Let’s get back to stock

There are a few ways to do this:

Option #1) Flash the complete KTU84L image. Follow efrant’s guide: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34552123&postcount=1
    a) If you want to keep your data & settings and are running the stock rom; only flash boot.img, system.img, and recovery.img (optional) with fastboot.​

OR

Option #2) Replace the stock images or .apk(s) you removed or modified.

After completing the steps needed to return to “stock” make sure you meet all the criteria at the top of the page then revert to:

Section A if you are running stock recovery.
    Section B if you are running a custom recovery.

OR

Option #3) Forgo the OTA entirely and flash the KTU84P Factory Image in fastboot. https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#occam

If you need help with this follow efrant's guide

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. I’ll do my best to answer them as quickly as possible. Perhaps others may answer them as well. Please read to see if your question has been answered before asking.

Q&A Section:

Q #1: I'm seeing a kernel related status 7 error when trying to apply the OTA
    A: Flash the system image along with the boot image. Some kernels (like franco for example) change a file or two in /system. So easiest way would be to re-flash the system. -Thanks efrant

Q #2: The ota applied successfully but I lost my custom recovery and I want to re-root. How do I get root back?
    A: Flash the custom recovery of your choice in fastboot, then flash the SU.zip in recovery linked in Section B4.

Q #3: I've tried everything but I'm still getting status 7 errors.
    A: Unfortunately you may have to start from scratch. Follow Section C1.

Thanks to these members for adding additional info and helping add things I forgot. :)
    TheManii
    zim2dive
    davdigs
    eskeyy
    daverup
    xaueious
    Spaceman860
    efrant

Updated: 4/17/14
    Hey guys,
    Here is the download link for the OTA update courtesy of my sister's Nexus 4.

It's from JWR66Y to KRT16S

c7d8660af65b878835d5248252f51dcbf53c2001.signed-two-step.signed-occam-KRT16S-from-JWR66Y.d1b99704.zip

http://android.clients.google.com/p....signed-occam-KRT16S-from-JWR66Y.d1b99704.zip

Cheers!
    android.clients.google. com/ packages/ota/google_mako/ebc8bad23772b5fd6e2907e48b4c74ba0ed58f21.signed-occam-JWR66V-from-JDQ39.ebc8bad2.zip

Didn't downloaded yet

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app