[Q] Confusion regarding the battery cycles

Search This thread

muz_grt

Apr 1, 2012
Karachi
I recently bought a note 3 and I wanted to ask is it okay if I put it into overnight charge even if the battery is 60-70% ?

Does putting it on a charger over long period of times affect the battery life?

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
battery has protective circuit that will cut off the current when fully charged, since Li-ion batts are very sensitive to overcharging and discharging bellow spec and will get damaged quickly if done so. However, since there is always some possibility of malfunction I would not leave the batt. at home on the charger and left for 2 weeks vacation, but overnight should be fine, probably many people do so.

muz_grt

Apr 1, 2012
Karachi
battery has protective circuit that will cut off the current when fully charged, since Li-ion batts are very sensitive to overcharging and discharging bellow spec and will get damaged quickly if done so. However, since there is always some possibility of malfunction I would not leave the batt. at home on the charger and left for 2 weeks vacation, but overnight should be fine, probably many people do so.

Thank you Pete for such an elaborate reply. In your opinion would it affect the battery if I put the phone over night every night for, let's say, 3-4 months?

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
I charge nightly so that when I wake up the phone is fully charged. Seriously, if the battery starts to wear out you can simply replace it. It is removable. Not a big deal.

tony yayo

Oct 15, 2010
Chicago
Buy an extra battery and swap out when it gets down to 15%. Saves wear and tear on the charging port and keeps away extraneous heat from having the phone itself charging the battery.

Arthedes

Jan 9, 2011
Brummen
I recently bought a note 3 and I wanted to ask is it okay if I put it into overnight charge even if the battery is 60-70% ?

Imho even if you would charge overnight you wont notice any difference untill your phone is EOL. Even if you would treat your liion battery like a princess it would still die in ~5 years (please correct me if im wrong).

Even though this is only my personal experience and your mileage may differ, but im currently using a HTC HD2 which is still going strong on its first battery. I plug it in almost every night before i go to bed.

Edit: and I must add that really your phone is designed to be used like this. If you only have 70% left and you really need that extra juice the next (few) day(s) because you wont have a charger with you, just plug it in as you go to bed.

If you really go out of your way to rape your battery every day, just buy a new one when its EOL, if you haven't gotten a new device already.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: muz_grt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Imho even if you would charge overnight you wont notice any difference untill your phone is EOL. Even if you would treat your liion battery like a princess it would still die in ~5 years (please correct me if im wrong).

Even though this is only my personal experience and your mileage may differ, but im currently using a HTC HD2 which is still going strong on its first battery. I plug it in almost every night before i go to bed.

Edit: and I must add that really your phone is designed to be used like this. If you only have 70% left and you really need that extra juice the next (few) day(s) because you wont have a charger with you, just plug it in as you go to bed.

If you really go out of your way to rape your battery every day, just buy a new one when its EOL, if you haven't gotten a new device already.
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app