[ROM] Revolver 4 by Gnufabio | 4.2.1 - IC421(G) | Sep 5 | TF101-TF101G-SL101 | Fast

Search This thread

chatch15117

Jun 16, 2011
when i first installed this rom(no recovery/root because i got a new TF):

boot

install

auto reboot & (hangs)

reset it(hold power button)

it boots and finishes installing

then i do root + recoveryinstaller

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
@gnufabio- I believe that I've identified a solution to the random reboot/SOD issues that we are having with ICS and I wanted to see if I could get you to build us a new version of Revolver that should hopefully stop these issues.

With the help of some other folks in another thread, I've found that if I downgrade my bootloader back to a honeycomb-version of the bootloader (8.6.5.6 in my testing), my random reboots and SODs seems to have stopped.

This could also explains two other things:
1. Why some folks don't have the problem - if you've never flashed the official Asus ICS, then your bootloader probably never got updated.
2. Why the problems remain, even after reverting to Revolver 3 Honeycomb - since custom ROMs usually don't replace the bootloader, my bootloader remained at the new ICS version, even after going back to Honeycomb, thereby causing the same issues on a completely different version of the OS.

Granted, I'm only at 36 hours uptime (20.5 hours deep sleep time), but that the longest uptime I've ever had with ICS, so it's looking good (and makes sense).

Reactions: lukeborn

src182

Mar 27, 2011
In my case it doesn't reboot, it powers off then i have to boot into recovery because otherwise it boot loops.

Im on 1.3.1 and 3.2 recovery

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

zziggy

Dec 15, 2010
sydney
@gnufabio- I believe that I've identified a solution to the random reboot/SOD issues that we are having with ICS and I wanted to see if I could get you to build us a new version of Revolver that should hopefully stop these issues.

With the help of some other folks in another thread, I've found that if I downgrade my bootloader back to a honeycomb-version of the bootloader (8.6.5.6 in my testing), my random reboots and SODs seems to have stopped.

This could also explains two other things:
1. Why some folks don't have the problem - if you've never flashed the official Asus ICS, then your bootloader probably never got updated.
2. Why the problems remain, even after reverting to Revolver 3 Honeycomb - since custom ROMs usually don't replace the bootloader, my bootloader remained at the new ICS version, even after going back to Honeycomb, thereby causing the same issues on a completely different version of the OS.

Granted, I'm only at 36 hours uptime (20.5 hours deep sleep time), but that the longest uptime I've ever had with ICS, so it's looking good (and makes sense).

I don't have the reboots and I didn't do the official update. Just straight from Revolver HC to Revolver ICS so you are probably correct!!!! Wondered why I had no probs. :)

patriotaus

Apr 30, 2008
I went straight from HC revolver to ICS revolver and had bad reboots (so much so that i almost always came to my transformer with its battery drained).

Hopefully your bootloader idea works.

Danzano

May 21, 2011
Auckland
I did a clean install of revolver 1.3 using OLiFE to make sure it was super clean

With some roms i still got random reboots and with some kernels

Could just be a couple roms or kernels dont agree with my tf but on hc i could use any kernel or any rom so unsure .......

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app

mcbyte_it

Nov 24, 2008

Ok, but with the old bootloader you cannot use the usb cable to sync with the pc. I can manage and prefer stability over usb but currently I am using ARHD v3.1.0, with the new bootloader and didn't have reboots in the past week.

Anyway, Asus is releasing soon an updated rom for the Prime, so maybe soon they will have one for our device too.

zziggy

Dec 15, 2010
sydney
Are you on 1.3 or 1.3.1? According to the change log, New bootloader is included in 1.3.1 to resolve an usb issue.

Hmm
So I have the new bootloader.
Went from Revolver HC to Revolver iCS 1.2, 1.3, 1.3.1

Maybe there was something good in 1.2 that made mine reboot free.

How can i check bootloader version?

jtrosky

May 8, 2008

Hmm
So I have the new bootloader.
Went from Revolver HC to Revolver iCS 1.2, 1.3, 1.3.1

Maybe there was something good in 1.2 that made mine reboot free.

How can i check bootloader version?

Yes, if you installed Revolver 1.31, then you are on the new bootloader. you'll need to downgrade the bootloader at this point, since we suspect the new bootloader is causing the issues.

To check your current bootloader version, hold in Power & Vol- for 10 seconds - the bootloader version will be displayed there....

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Please help me to downgrade my bootloader?
Ww version...

Unless you really feel comfortable flashing and rooting, etc, you might just want to wait this out - we already have a few people testing and so far their results haven't been very good....

That being said, I'm not sure if my exact config has been tested by anyone yet:
- 8.6.5.6 bootloader (I "downgraded" by restoring stock Asus 8.6.5.6 ROM) - then I had to root and install custom recovery.
- 9.2.1.11 ICS (Revolver 4, version 1.3) - Installed via custom recovery installed above.

Can't imagine that I just happened to stumbled upon the only "magical" combination though, so I'm not sure what to think.

I know my TF is back to being stable after this process though. However, I still want to let stay running for another day or two, just to be 100% no more reboots occur, etc... Then, I can experiment a little more with different bootloaders and ICS versions to see if we can figure anything out....

BULL3TPR00F

Dec 6, 2009
Toronto
has anyone successfully replaced ChainsDD Superuser.apk with Chanfire's SuperSU on revolver 4.0?

ive been trying to but after installing supersu binary, it breaks root and i have to go back to superuser binary

billb23ok

Feb 18, 2008
ontario
has anyone successfully replaced ChainsDD Superuser.apk with Chanfire's SuperSU on revolver 4.0?

ive been trying to but after installing supersu binary, it breaks root and i have to go back to superuser binary

yeh same thing happened to me only i couldnt fix super user. flashing rom again over the broken one gave root again. worked on cm9 for my atrix but not revolver. it has to do with were the su is located.

BULL3TPR00F

Dec 6, 2009
Toronto
yeah i figured, i guess we have to wait until after Easter weekend to see if gnufabio will switch to chainfires supersu app natively.

if you dont mind, can you try the instructions laid out in this post:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24178797&postcount=434

that way we can confirm for sure that we cannot switch superuser apps on revolver rom without issues.

I tried that method but it always ended with the same result.

and if it does break root for you, flash this in CWM to get back working superuser + binary (instead of having to reflash the rom)
http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip

Last edited:
Reactions: dimebagdan65

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Features
    • Fast AS HELL
    • Deodexed
    • Speed up & optimizations
    • Lot of plugins in Revolver Parts (not now, in the future)
    • Face unlock
    • Advanced power dialog

FAQs
    • What's the actual version?
      In the second part of the thread's name you can find both the numeric version and the code-version. The former is expressed in this way: branch.version[.subversion]. Usually a subversion consists of a bugfix release. The latter is expressed in this way: AABC[D], where AA is the Android version on which the firmware is based (for example HC or IC), B is the hexadecimal value of the branch, C is the hexadecimal value of the version and D is the hexadecimal value of the subversion.
    • I want to increase the sensitivity of the touchscreen. What could I do?
      There is an app for that. Give a look here
    • Guys I can't download anything from Revolver Parts, what could I do?
      Sometimes server can have some problems; however if you can't download from the app you can manually download the packages from the Revolver repository.
    • Will Cornerstone be integrated in this ROM?
      NO, NO DAMNED CORNERSTONE WILL BE ADDED. IT'S NOT POSSIBLE. ASK GOD TO DO THIS INSTEAD OF CLUTTERING THIS THREAD. STOP ASKING IT.

Licensing
    Revolver ROM, Revolver Parts and Revolver plugins (the one done by me) are distributed under Creative Commons 3 BY-NC-ND license. If you want to use a part of my work, please send me a PM and ask for permissions.
    You may not use ROMs component, Revolver Parts plugins and other stuff done by me working hard hours without asking for permission, that's it.
    More details on the license:
    Don't worry guys, I'm releasing a new version within the end of this week, and Revolver Parts 4 will come soon ;)
    I'm working on the latest Asus update, please, some patience!