[Q] What it takes to unroot?

Search This thread

Casteel

Mar 17, 2014
Hey guys,

Last time, I asked you about some technical details of rooting.
Now, I have some little questions about unrooting :)

Lets say I have rooted my device with CF-Auto-Root (which is great by the way...)
so now I have SuperSu and the su binary in /system/xbin, stock ROM and recovery, and unlocked bootloader.
Now I wish to unroot without loosing any data.

1. If I manually delete su, does it enough to say I have unrooted my phone? Or any other actions are required?
2. What does the unroot option in SuperSu actually do?
3. If I flash stock recovery (even though I already have it), will it unroot my device?
4. How does the survival mode of SuperSu keep me rooted in case of OTA update?

Thanks,
Casteel.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
There are existing threads that can help you.

Please read:

Q&A - all you need to know about android
General - how to flash factory images
General - ota help-desk

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
Hey guys,

Lets say I have rooted my device with CF-Auto-Root (which is great by the way...)
so now I have SuperSu and the su binary in /system/xbin, stock ROM and recovery, and unlocked bootloader.

1. If I manually delete su, does it enough to say I have unrooted my phone? Or any other actions are required?
3. If I flash stock recovery (even though I already have it), will it unroot my device?

Thanks,
Casteel.

1. If you remove the binary, you are essentially unrooted.
2. The unroot option does the same thing as above.
3. Flashing stock recovery alone, will not remove root permissions.
4. I'm not certain on the technical aspects of Survival mode, but I believe, it runs a script after the OTA to retain root.

Reactions: Docarut and Casteel

Casteel

Mar 17, 2014
4. I'm not certain on the technical aspects of Survival mode, but I believe, it runs a script after the OTA to retain root.

Cool. Thanks. :eek:
Why flashing stock recovery won't remove root, but OTA update will?
What's the difference between these processes?

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN

The reason why is because recovery is on a separate partition. It does not effect anything on /system/ where the su binary lies.

OTA's patch and update files on /system/ causing SU to be removed in most cases. In some cases having root may cause the OTA to fail, requiring removal of the binary before continuing with the OTA.

Click the link in my signature for the Nexus 5 OTA Help-Desk for more info on OTA's

Reactions: Casteel

Casteel

Mar 17, 2014
The reason why is because recovery is on a separate partition. It does not effect anything on /system/ where the su binary lies.

OTA's patch and update files on /system/ causing SU to be removed in most cases. In some cases having root may cause the OTA to fail, requiring removal of the binary before continuing with the OTA.

Click the link in my signature for the Nexus 5 OTA Help-Desk for more info on OTA's

Great, thank you very much :good:
And thanks for referring to the links, looks useful indeed.

BirchBarlow

Oct 6, 2013
Philadelphia
Deleting SuperSU or unrooting will prevent apps from gaining root access, but it won't return your phone to stock. The only way to return to stock is to reflash the factory image.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

Thanks,
    Casteel.