(Root,Cwmr,Hacks) Pantech Vega S5 (SKY IM-A840S)

Search This thread

arvin2212

Jan 30, 2009
Title borrowed from hackarchive to keep things consistent

I bought the pantech Vega Racer S2 (IM-A830L) and received it a few days ago. This was an upgrade from a Dell Streak phone that i was using for some time. This phone is amazing. The touch screen feels responsive, the screen is bright and nice, and most of all, I didn't experience any slowdowns / lags on this device. Everything was buttery smooth.

After 2 days of playing with it, and flashing it, I decided to sell it off, and tomorrow it will be delivered to its new owner. The reason is because, after getting used to a 5" screen device, it is a little hard to getting used to a 4.8" device.

This is where the SKY IM-A840S comes in. A 5" phone, that claims to have eliminated most of it's bezels surrounding the screen. A 13 Megapixel camera is included as well. The rest are more or less the same with the Vega Racer 2 (IM-A830L/K/S)

What do you guys think of this phone?

* There is a rumor that a Quad-Core version will be released, the SKY IM-A850, utilizing the Snapdragon Quad Core S4 Pro with Adreno 320 GPU. Not sure when it will be released though since I heard that the sales for the Vega S5 isn't that good at the moment.

Specs of Vega S5 (SKY IM-A840S)

OS -- Android OS, v4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
Chipset -- Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon S4
CPU -- Dual-core 1.5 GHz
GPU -- Adreno 225
Sensors -- Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
Messaging -- SMS(threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Mail, IM, RSS
Browser -- HTML, Adobe Flash
Radio -- No
GPS -- Yes, with A-GPS support
Java -- No
Colors -- Black, White
- Smart Voice
- T-DMB TV tuner
- TV-out (via MHL A/V link)
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- SNS applications
- MP4/H.264/H.263/WMV/DviX/XviD player
- MP3/WMA/WAV/eAAC+/AC3 player
- Document viewer/editor
- Organizer
- Voice memo/dial/commands
- Predictive text input

CAMERA
Primary -- 13 MP, 4192x3104 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
Features -- Geo-tagging, face detection, image stabilization
Video -- Yes, 1080p@30fps, LED video light
Secondary -- Yes, 2 MP

DATA
GPRS -- Yes
EDGE -- Yes
Speed -- HSDPA, HSUPA, LTE
WLAN -- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot
Bluetooth -- HSDPA, HSUPA, LTE
NFC -- Yes
USB -- Yes, microUSB v2.0 (MHL)

GENERAL
2G Network -- WCDMA 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network -- HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
4G Network -- LTE 700 / 1700
Announced -- 2012, July

BODY
Dimensions -- 134.8 x 69.8 x 9 mm
Weight -- 139.8 g
- Touch-sensitive controls

DISPLAY
Type -- IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size -- 720 x 1280 pixels, 5 inches
Multitouch -- Yes
- Touchless UX UI

SOUND
Alert types -- Vibration, MP3, WAV ringtones
Loudspeaker -- Yes
3.5mm jack -- Yes

MEMORY
Card slot -- microSD, up to 32 GB
Internal -- 16 GB storage, 1 GB RAM

BATTERY
Standard battery, Li-Ion 2100 mAh (Comes with an extra battery)

IM-A840S_1p_01.jpg

Last edited:

hsleung

Mar 12, 2011
I have also bought A840S, and it is very good.

Any idea how to remove the warning message about turning off the wifi when I move outside a wi-fi covered area?

arvin2212

Jan 30, 2009
I have also bought A840S, and it is very good.

Any idea how to remove the warning message about turning off the wifi when I move outside a wi-fi covered area?

Nice. Is there any lag? The phone responds properly? How about games?

Is the camera good?

I tried the A830L. The phone runs lag free but the camera, although 8MP, but performs poorly.

About the wifi warning, i think it has to be removed using a cooked ROM / editing system files.

vagrante

Sep 30, 2008
Got mine last week. I am not really good at shooting camera, but from close range shooting is good. lag wise, I use apex launcher, so buttery smooth. Games wise should be OK as it using adreno225. I think it's still loose to my one x though

Sent from my IM-A840S using xda app-developers app

arvin2212

Jan 30, 2009
Got mine last week. I am not really good at shooting camera, but from close range shooting is good. lag wise, I use apex launcher, so buttery smooth. Games wise should be OK as it using adreno225. I think it's still loose to my one x though

That is good to hear. It doesn't perform as good as your one x in games ? or basic tasks?

A new improved version of this phone is due to be released. Quad core with adreno 320. 5.3" IPS Screen. I wonder how its going to be like :laugh:

vagrante

Sep 30, 2008
Yeah, heard about the new a850 Which due next month. I dint actually use this for gamimg. This phone mainly for daily usage. But deep sleep is way better in one x, I think custom rom will really help. As most of the power go into cell standby.

bky16

May 4, 2010
Is there any 3rd party ROM IM-A840S ? Heard that it has so many problem with SMS in China/Hong Kong. Further, for some unknown reason, the 4G LTE 1800 is not working in Hong Kong.

vagrante

Sep 30, 2008
I had no pro with sms but just can't send more than 80 characters, due to Korea characters. My carrier do not have 4g/Lte so can't really test it.

Mickey Padge

Sep 17, 2012
Seems the phone has been rooted now? Link here: diendanso.vn/dien-thoai-han-quoc/1611-root-recovery-rom-cho-sky-a840s.html

Not that I can figure out how! ;)

Last edited:

payztge

Sep 22, 2012
restore rom

Just got one of these from HK. I think its already rooted with a custom rom already installed. Anyone know how to return to stock rom?

desmondtee88

Oct 27, 2009
i dun see any difference ... for future proof wise .. better take branded phone like LG F160 ..is more cheaper yet phone accessories are easier to buy .. not SKY pantech phone.. Even the rom also not stable ... u have do more findinding about the roms on it ... price wise also expensive for me .... but if want to show of this is a good choice ...

yodafone

Dec 15, 2004
Just got one of these from HK. I think its already rooted with a custom rom already installed. Anyone know how to return to stock rom?

I do believe you can use the Sky Self Upgrade Service to get back to stock, as with other Sky phones.
Before that, you'll probably need to download and install the USB drivers: http://file.isky.co.kr/upload/software/USB/IMA840S_USBDriver.zip.
Next, go to
http://dmfile.isky.co.kr/NewSelfUpgrade/index.html
You'll need to use Internet Explorer (ugh) 8 or 9, as the page will attempt to run an ActiveX control which does the actual flashing.
Once the drivers are installed and the page is open, you should see a whole load of stuff in Korean and a rectangular button with rounded corners and a spinning icon that is not yet clickable. Turn the phone off. Hold both volume keys and then power on. Select PDL Download. Then plug in the phone. After a while the icon should stop spinning and the button become clickable.
Flashing will take some time. And by some time I mean up to half an hour. You must make sure the battery is *fully* charged before flashing!

OT as well, I've ordered one of these to replace my A830S.
Hope battery life improves a little - this is the A830 (Vega Racer 2)'s weakest point, apart from the lackluster 4.8" TN panel.

Seems to be loads of info here. I wish I had paid more attention in school during my Chinese lessons: http://bbs.wpcnn.com/forum-192-1.html

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Title borrowed from hackarchive to keep things consistent

I bought the pantech Vega Racer S2 (IM-A830L) and received it a few days ago. This was an upgrade from a Dell Streak phone that i was using for some time. This phone is amazing. The touch screen feels responsive, the screen is bright and nice, and most of all, I didn't experience any slowdowns / lags on this device. Everything was buttery smooth.

After 2 days of playing with it, and flashing it, I decided to sell it off, and tomorrow it will be delivered to its new owner. The reason is because, after getting used to a 5" screen device, it is a little hard to getting used to a 4.8" device.

This is where the SKY IM-A840S comes in. A 5" phone, that claims to have eliminated most of it's bezels surrounding the screen. A 13 Megapixel camera is included as well. The rest are more or less the same with the Vega Racer 2 (IM-A830L/K/S)

What do you guys think of this phone?

* There is a rumor that a Quad-Core version will be released, the SKY IM-A850, utilizing the Snapdragon Quad Core S4 Pro with Adreno 320 GPU. Not sure when it will be released though since I heard that the sales for the Vega S5 isn't that good at the moment.

Specs of Vega S5 (SKY IM-A840S)

OS -- Android OS, v4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
    Chipset -- Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon S4
    CPU -- Dual-core 1.5 GHz
    GPU -- Adreno 225
    Sensors -- Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
    Messaging -- SMS(threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Mail, IM, RSS
    Browser -- HTML, Adobe Flash
    Radio -- No
    GPS -- Yes, with A-GPS support
    Java -- No
    Colors -- Black, White
    - Smart Voice
    - T-DMB TV tuner
    - TV-out (via MHL A/V link)
    - Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
    - SNS applications
    - MP4/H.264/H.263/WMV/DviX/XviD player
    - MP3/WMA/WAV/eAAC+/AC3 player
    - Document viewer/editor
    - Organizer
    - Voice memo/dial/commands
    - Predictive text input

CAMERA
    Primary -- 13 MP, 4192x3104 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
    Features -- Geo-tagging, face detection, image stabilization
    Video -- Yes, 1080p@30fps, LED video light
    Secondary -- Yes, 2 MP

DATA
    GPRS -- Yes
    EDGE -- Yes
    Speed -- HSDPA, HSUPA, LTE
    WLAN -- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot
    Bluetooth -- HSDPA, HSUPA, LTE
    NFC -- Yes
    USB -- Yes, microUSB v2.0 (MHL)

GENERAL
    2G Network -- WCDMA 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G Network -- HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
    4G Network -- LTE 700 / 1700
    Announced -- 2012, July

BODY
    Dimensions -- 134.8 x 69.8 x 9 mm
    Weight -- 139.8 g
    - Touch-sensitive controls

DISPLAY
    Type -- IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
    Size -- 720 x 1280 pixels, 5 inches
    Multitouch -- Yes
    - Touchless UX UI

SOUND
    Alert types -- Vibration, MP3, WAV ringtones
    Loudspeaker -- Yes
    3.5mm jack -- Yes

MEMORY
    Card slot -- microSD, up to 32 GB
    Internal -- 16 GB storage, 1 GB RAM

BATTERY
    Standard battery, Li-Ion 2100 mAh (Comes with an extra battery)

IM-A840S_1p_01.jpg
    got mine rooted/install custom recovery/install custom ROM for the SMS 80character limit in 15mins(the fastest since i own my first sky)...downloading a modded stock 1.65 from link below

http://www.sonyue.com/bbs/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=22309&extra=page=1&page=4
    hide onscreen buttons by using gesture control, delete lots of korean bloatware but got some chinese apps, batt indicator change to circular, others i forgot :)
    happy new year kababayan!

i think the amp or the voltage is too high...it happens to my sisters tablet too...i use a samsung charger also but di not notice screen misbehaving while im using it...the spec of the charger that i have is output:5 volts/0.7 amp...still it would be best if we can find someone who has an original s5 charger to know the output for vols/amp...

i already ask someone with the original charger for vega s5 and output is Volts:5V/Amp:1Amp
    All pantech vega ROM developments are very active at vegaviet.com. But the site is in Vietnamese so you have to use Google Translate.