Thread separation OF-7 and OF-7a

Search This thread

purplexed9

Dec 30, 2010
Volos
Do you believe that the thread of oppo find 7 should separated in two: oppo find 7 and oppo find 7a? Do you believe that there will be need for this when the roms start to come out?

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
I don't think there will be a need. It is sounding like the same rom will work for both and they come with the same software. Outside of screen calibration and impressions there is nothing much to make into a separate section as what applies to one applies to all. Unless of course future QHD owners aren't wanting to soil themselves by associating with the unfortunate vanilla 7A owners, that certainly calls for a new section. lol

farfromovin

Aug 15, 2011
Oxnard, CA
No way will the same ROM work with all 4 versions of the F7. Just between the 7/7A there's 2 different processors. Maybe that could be settled with just a different kernel but I doubt it.

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
People are already using the same rom on two variants of the 7A and their tech guru is claiming the same rom with an auto detect could work for both the 7 and 7A. Tech guru is far from a word that would be used to describe me however. I'm sure entropy or one of the other guys will come along and set us (me) straight. Were it to be the case that different roms were required it would probably be a good idea to split the development section into two although that doesn't seem to be proof against people installing the wrong rom version as I've seen on many other phones.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
About 90% of Oppo's deltas between 7 and 7A are handled at runtime by the kernel using a PCB version register.

Oppo's naming conventions are a bit confusing:

Find 7A = find7 (kernel defconfig)
Find 7 = find7wx (kernel defconfig) = Find 7S (kernel comments)
Find 7 OnePlus Edition = find7op (kernel source) = OnePlus One (what OnePlus calls it)

There are a few small things in the kernel that are handled by defconfigs instead of runtime - none of us have looked to see if these can be all switched to runtime because we don't have FHD 7 units yet.

Ideally there will be a common build. Worst case there will be a defconfig delta and 99% of the code will be common and (probably) the end result will be a common thread for omni (I hope...) Kind of like if I bothered to create a thread for galaxys2-family devices for Omni, I'd probably just create a unified one for I9100/I777/N7000 at this point. (maybe not N7000 but def. I777/I9100)

Reactions: GibMcFragger

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
No. For the same reason why all the different Galaxy S4 variants are kept under the Galaxy S4 thread.

Um what? Every single carrier variant of the GS4 was given its own entire forum (not just an Exynos/Qcom split). (in retrospect probably a bad idea, but not surprising given Samsung's prior track record)

Also, "thread" is probably not the appropriate term for what the OP was asking.

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Is the hardware in the OnePlus One and the Find 7 really that similar? Or was this said partly tongue-in-cheek?

It is.

Between OnePlus' relation with Oppo, the documented specifications, etc. - Pretty much every difference in the defconfigs/source for the two devices corresponds to the few documented differences in specs between the two devices.

The OnePlus One is a Find 7a with the following tweaks:
1) Nonremovable battery (kernel change: battery authentication disabled)
2) A PN65T instead of PN544 (kernel change: PN65 support in the NFC driver. The PN65 is pointless now that Google has sunsetted hardware SE support)
3) RGB LED instead of the blue-only Skyline (kernel change: different LED driver)
4) Left/right "mirror" reversal. (power button on right of OnePlus, left for F7a, etc.) Kernel change: none
5) MSM8974AC instead of MSM8974AB (kernel change: none, handled automatically at runtime)

Reactions: B1nny

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
No way will the same ROM work with all 4 versions of the F7. Just between the 7/7A there's 2 different processors. Maybe that could be settled with just a different kernel but I doubt it.

Addel (product manager for oppo) just confirmed that the same 2.0 beta download can be installed on both 7 and 7a phones. It would seem that roms that don't include the baseband can be installed across the platform.

farfromovin

Aug 15, 2011
Oxnard, CA
Addel (product manager for oppo) just confirmed that the same 2.0 beta download can be installed on both 7 and 7a phones. It would seem that roms that don't include the baseband can be installed across the platform.

I saw that and stand corrected. You gotta cut me a little slack, coming from a Samsung background where every single variant, along with basebands, cause huge issues. Glad to see it done simple from Oppo.

paperWastage

Mar 18, 2009
NJ

could also be the software baseband compatible with both versions of the hardware modem

(nexus 5 US and int'l phones use the same software modem, though supporting different LTE bands)

http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/development/modem-nexus-5-flashable-modems-efs-t2514095

Last edited:

farfromovin

Aug 15, 2011
Oxnard, CA
It is.

Between OnePlus' relation with Oppo, the documented specifications, etc. - Pretty much every difference in the defconfigs/source for the two devices corresponds to the few documented differences in specs between the two devices.

2) A PN65T instead of PN544 (kernel change: PN65 support in the NFC driver. The PN65 is pointless now that Google has sunsetted hardware SE support)
3) RGB LED instead of the blue-only Skyline (kernel change: different LED driver)
4) Left/right "mirror" reversal. (power button on right of OnePlus, left for F7a, etc.) Kernel change: none
5) MSM8974AC instead of MSM8974AB (kernel change: none, handled automatically at runtime)

So after things get rolling: Find7, Find7a, and OPO owners should be able to flash roms for all devices, followed up by the correct kernel?

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
So after things get rolling: Find7, Find7a, and OPO owners should be able to flash roms for all devices, followed up by the correct kernel?

If we can't do a unified kernel, we'll be doing separate complete builds for both. But you could expect in that case we'll have something similar to the Samsung Galaxy S2 family, where the I9100, I777, and N7000 all inherit a "common" device tree that contains 95%+ of the stuff for each device.

Reactions: ShadowSkills

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About 90% of Oppo's deltas between 7 and 7A are handled at runtime by the kernel using a PCB version register.

Oppo's naming conventions are a bit confusing:

Find 7A = find7 (kernel defconfig)
    Find 7 = find7wx (kernel defconfig) = Find 7S (kernel comments)
    Find 7 OnePlus Edition = find7op (kernel source) = OnePlus One (what OnePlus calls it)

There are a few small things in the kernel that are handled by defconfigs instead of runtime - none of us have looked to see if these can be all switched to runtime because we don't have FHD 7 units yet.

Ideally there will be a common build. Worst case there will be a defconfig delta and 99% of the code will be common and (probably) the end result will be a common thread for omni (I hope...) Kind of like if I bothered to create a thread for galaxys2-family devices for Omni, I'd probably just create a unified one for I9100/I777/N7000 at this point. (maybe not N7000 but def. I777/I9100)
    No. For the same reason why all the different Galaxy S4 variants are kept under the Galaxy S4 thread.
    Is the hardware in the OnePlus One and the Find 7 really that similar? Or was this said partly tongue-in-cheek?

It is.

If we can't do a unified kernel, we'll be doing separate complete builds for both. But you could expect in that case we'll have something similar to the Samsung Galaxy S2 family, where the I9100, I777, and N7000 all inherit a "common" device tree that contains 95%+ of the stuff for each device.