Battery life + great battery monitoring application

Search This thread

sjbotha

Nov 21, 2007
I just got my Glide a few days ago. From the specs of the phone and reviews online I was expecting the battery to last very long, but that hasn't been my experience.

My battery was going down about 10% every hour which means I would barely make it through a work day without charging it again.

I found a great app called Battery Mix that tracks battery usage and estimates how long the battery is going to last. It shows a number called P/H (percent per hour) which tells you how many percent per hour the battery is going down (or up if you're charging). You can find the app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.smapho.battery_mix

When I first installed the app I was getting about 12.5 P/H which means the phone will only last 8 hours. I then uninstalled a few apps that use battery, but that didn't help much. Somebody said their battery improved when they formatted their SD card, so I just removed the SD card from mine. Now my battery consumption is down to about 8 P/H. The best I've seen is 7 P/H. This is better but still would only get me 12 hours and I'm not running all the apps I would like to be running.

I have JuiceDefender running now on the balanced setting. I'm running the Osimood ROM with Android 2.3.5. I've removed all background network polling apps like Facebook. Android OS is using 56% of the battery followed by display at 15%, so there isn't anything else that's eating up my battery.

How is the battery life on your Glide? Could you please install this app so we can compare numbers?

Last edited:

Alex2221

May 24, 2010
Woah, 56% battery life for the Android OS?
On daily usage it barely gets above 20%. The screen takes most battery life.

EDIT:
screen_20120419_1955.png

*Note that Anzeige = Display

Last edited:

sjbotha

Nov 21, 2007
Woah, 56% battery life for the Android OS?
On daily usage it barely gets above 20%. The screen takes most battery life.

Thanks for the info.

Mine has been sitting on standby most of the day so that's probably why display is so much lower on mine than yours.

The high percentage of Android OS doesn't really worry me. It doesn't mean it's using a lot of battery; it just means it's using most of whatever is being used which could be a small amount.

Mine is doing much better now. P/H is down to 4.3 which means it could last 23 hours.

I really think the problem was the SD card. I'll pick up a different one after work today and see if it works better. I need a bigger one anyway.

I also found a thread that talks about corrupt image or video files on your phone causing bad battery life. That could definitely be what I'm experiencing. Should be fun figuring out which image is causing the problem.

dudejb

Feb 16, 2007
Montreal
OK just installed it. I will let you know how mine is doing in a few days. I am fully Rogers stock.

sjbotha

Nov 21, 2007
I replaced the SD card and it seems to be doing better now. There may have been images on that card contributing to the problem.

I actually had GPS, wi-fi and bluetooth on the whole time. I've turned them all off now.

I've also underclocked it to 800. Thanks, taiber2000.

It looks like for the last hour it only dropped 3 percentage points.

clpo13

Jan 19, 2012
If you are rooted and have ClockworkMod installed, you can sometimes get better battery life by resetting your battery stats. I think there are even some apps for rooted phones that will do it, but I don't have any experience with them. I can say, however, that resetting my battery stats using CWM increased my battery life significantly.

See here for one guide on how to do it: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bugless/111009-get-better-battery-life-reset-battery-stats.html

taiber2000

sjbotha your welcome.
i belive i will do the same when i'll get my phone as well. altugh i will install the OC rooted kernel for better overall performance i will still downclock via software, not need the extra sterngh for my uses and i better have longer use time then CPU power.

dudejb

Feb 16, 2007
Montreal
I get 4.9 but the other day I was getting 12. All I did was Reboot my phone and I haven't started many apps. I think when they start they stay in memory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927R using Tapatalk

gabby131

Sep 20, 2010
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Mine depends on usage:

-about whole day wifi-on with 3 hours games and calls; if battery is 100% at 6am, it will be 20-30% at 10pm

-whole day HSPA+ on, 2 hours phone calls + SMS/MMS, emails etc; if battery is 100 at 6am, it will be 50-60% at 11pm or before I sleep...

in terms of P/H:
-i get 3-5 P/H when wi-fi, Auto-Sync is on.
-i get 2-4 P/H on HSPA + Auto-Sync on.
-about 1-2 P/H or sometimes a straight line on Battery Stats when Idle, no data connection and/or auto-sync is on.

in other words, the glide can handle my needs in a whole day without completely draining it's battery.

Last edited: