HD2 Stuck at HTC Screen, vibrating (EDIT - tried flashing currently stuck at 9%)

Search This thread

kidcash

Feb 20, 2008
Hello,

EDIT - Ok I'm just adding this bit to my post to summ up the whole situation from Post 1 until Post 14 in dot points

- HTC HD2, Began randomly freezing to "HTC" screen, when reset, loads "HTC" Screen and vibrates 5-6 times, sometimes let me goto OS, but at one point stopped letting me goto OS, Stuck at "HTC" Screen with the 5-6 Mysterious vibrations.

- I tried to flash a ROM off the HTC HK Website, 1.78 I think, Stuck at 9%, Those 6-7 Vibrations, tried again, same thing stuck at 9% with Vibrations.

- Tried another factory ROM from HTC HK the latest one, Flashed 100% the first time through, but then does not boot, just stuck at "HTC" Screen with vibrating

- Tried to flash same ROM again, begins vibrating and stuck at 9%

- I wanted to try if some custom ROMS worked, flashed HSPL 1.42 on, while flashing HSPL it finished on the device but on computer I got "Unknown Error
0x1003FF"

- Continued and went on to upgrade my HSPL to 2.08 so I can flash custom ROMS, now I have 2.08 HSPL.

- I tried Artemis Custom Rom for LEO, this one after it finished I think brang me past the "HTC" Screen, it actually said "quietly brilliant" for the first time, and to some Windows config screen where this Error appeared :

ARM11 FATAL ERROR

flash_os_wm.c line 339

- So I tried resetting, and stuck at "HTC" Screen, but No constant vibrating, only 1 vibrate.

- I tried Cheetah ROM, same problem, stuck at "HTC" Screen.

- I tried "NRG" ROM, same problem stuck at "HTC" Screen, well the NRG Screen.

- I tried Kumars ROM, same problem again. stuck at at the bootup screen.

I should mention whenever flashing, on the computer it never tells me what my current Image version is, it just tells me the one i'm flashing to. e.g the "FROM" field is blank. That's it until now.

Also everytime while at the bootup screen, it cycles e.g it will Vibrate, show bootup screen, do nothing, go black... then repeat the bootup screen, vibrate etc etc etc. After ROM is flashed, if I do a soft reset it will just stay at the bootup screen and not do anything at all.
Hard reset doesn't help either, neither does battery out/in, same thing just stuck at the intro screen with all the ROMS I try.

If anybody knows what the problem could be, please post.

ORIGINAL POST BELOW BEFORE EDIT :
-------------------------------------------------

Whenever I turn on my HTC HD2 It's stuck at the white screen with "HTC" in the middle, it will vibrate on and off about 4 times, and after that it will do nothing.

A soft reset with the Red button under the battery cover just brings it to the same screen with the same problem.

Taking the battery out and putting back in does not help, same problem.

doesn't even want to respond to hard reset (Vol down + Vol Up) + Power Button briefly.

When I try to put it into the Diagnostic mode (Vol down + Power), and try to flash a ROM onto it,
It just gives a Error 294, Invalid Vendor, maybe because I was using a ROM that was not Hong Kong, I don't know but I cant try flash again as the device does not respond to anything now (like before but can't even get into boot mode).

So I'm stuck at the moment and can't do anything.

Before this it would sometimes want to start up, and then get stuck sometimes, but now it's constantly not booting up
and begin stuck at the HTC Screen with 4 vibrates.

Sometimes it even boots upto the "HTC" Screen, and doesn't vibrate at all.

And at the moment I can't even get it into Diagnostic mode, doesn't respond to anything other than the reset button.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

EDIT ----- > Now goes into boot mode, I found out that QUICKLY after reset doing vol- and power gets it into boot mode. But while trying to flash the ROM, on my computer it says NOTHING about the current Image ROM on the PC, Trying to update now, this time it goes into a Progress bar on the HD2, stuck at 9%, and funnily enough at 9% it does the same (Vibrate 4 times) thing. and is stuck at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: hessamx

xlr8me

Apr 19, 2010
Hello,

Whenever I turn on my HTC HD2 It's stuck at the white screen with "HTC" in the middle, it will vibrate on and off about 4 times, and after that it will do nothing.

doesn't even want to respond to hard reset (Vol down + Vol Up) + Power Button briefly.

Keep trying that hard reset method. Make sure both buttons are fully pressed and briefly press power button to get HSPL to appear.

Follow this guide:
Performing a factory reset using phone buttons

1. With your phone powered off, press and hold the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons.
2. While holding the volume buttons, press the END/POWER button briefly and then release it.
3. When you see a warning message on screen, release the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons.
4. Press the VOLUME UP button to perform the reset, or press any other button to cancel the reset.

kidcash

Feb 20, 2008
Thanks for the reply,

Sorry I was editting my post while you were replying, please read it again it has some updates on what is happening at the moment.

Got it to go into boot mode, SPL 3.03 Version, connected to USB, tried to update with HK ROM, stuck at 9% and does 4 x Vibrate, now stuck at 9% on phone and computer.

What should I do now?

Last edited:

kidcash

Feb 20, 2008
Update - Error 262 on Computer (UPDATE ERROR) the ROM utility has encountered a communications errors during the update process

The computer guided me what to do :

1. Remove USB cable
2. Battery out, battery back in.
3. Start device up and flash again.

Device started at "Software update failed", i was able to plug the usb cable back in, and start flashing again.

at 4%, It vibrated 4-7 times while going from 4% to 9%, and progress stopped at 9% Again.

That vibrating I don't know why it's happening.

I even tried updating again, and it does the same thing, vibrates 4-7 times and then stops at 9% update.

Is the ROM I'm using a bad one? It's the HTC Hong Kong one from early 2010,
There is another one I can download which is from Late 2010, but it's SPL Version might be too high.

The reason I'm trying to update a ROM is to get an early SPL, so I can load HardSPL to use Custom Firmware.

EDIT -
Edit - I just tried Hard Reset, but it just goes to the "Software Update failed, please try again" screen. Tried to load ROM on again but still the same vibrating and stuck at 9% during update.

Last edited:

kidcash

Feb 20, 2008
Hi,

Now I tried updating to a later HK ROM, and it updated but still now has the Green HTC Screen with the vibrating. The ROM that did the Vibrating during 3-9% and stuck at 9% was :

HTC HD2 RUU_Leo_HKCSL_WWE_1.72.831.1_Radio_CRC_Signed_15.32.50.07U_2.07.51.22_2_Ship.exe

And the one that Is Updating without problems and works fine is the newer one found on the HTC HK website :

HTC HD2 RUU_Leo_HKCSL_WWE_3.14.832.3_Radio_15.42.50.11U_2.15.50.14_LEO_S_Ship

This one it lets me update all the way through, once it's complete the device goes black and does not respond to anything, Battery out and battery in and the device starts up, but goes to the HTC Screen, and then Vibrates 5 Times.

And then does not respond.

What is the problem??

Even tried a Hard Reset, and again it does the same thing.

Boots, Vibrates once on HTC Screen, 5 seconds later, it vibrates on/off about 7 times and that's it, stuck at HTC Screen.

Since those 2 ROMS don't work, is there any ROM or Software that I can try to put on that will let me somehow get my HD2 Working again.

Last edited:

Kov3nant

Apr 6, 2010
I had the same problem. I fixed it by flashing radio version 2.15 and then re-flashing hardspl. Then i installed a custom winmo rom. After that my phone was fine.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App

kidcash

Feb 20, 2008
UPDATE !!

Ok this is getting very weird.

So I tried to flash the Later ROM that ORIGINALLY WENT ALL THE WAY THROUGH 100%.

THIS TIME, IT GETS STUCK AT 8%, and then the phone Vibrates 5 times just like the earlier ROM.

Does anybody know what this vibrating is indicating? I might try to ask HTC, but even though they developed the phone they would probably be of no help since they sent me a faulty phone back from Warranty.

silverwind

Mar 2, 2010
Neverending Land
UPDATE !!

Ok this is getting very weird.

So I tried to flash the Later ROM that ORIGINALLY WENT ALL THE WAY THROUGH 100%.

THIS TIME, IT GETS STUCK AT 8%, and then the phone Vibrates 5 times just like the earlier ROM.

Does anybody know what this vibrating is indicating? I might try to ask HTC, but even though they developed the phone they would probably be of no help since they sent me a faulty phone back from Warranty.

Just info, I read that some users reported the same as you. And unfortunately, they have to bring it to HTC repair as this might relate to hardware malfunction.

If you are under warranty, you better bring it for repair.

Cheers

tictac0566

Jul 25, 2008
Europe
Just info, I read that some users reported the same as you. And unfortunately, they have to bring it to HTC repair as this might relate to hardware malfunction.

Cheers

+1 for this. Most recently, there have been some users reporting multiple vibration patterns (usually 7 times) when turning on the phone. None of them was able to flash any ROM to bring back their HD2.

At least, most of them were able to install an original SPL before sending it to a service center. However, I never read anything about the final outcome.

Reactions: kidcash

kidcash

Feb 20, 2008
The phone has already been through warranty once, and HTC's slack attitude and approach offended me greatly. They wrote on the paper "No Faults Found", which shows their reluctance towards fixing their faulty phones that they are bringing out to us. They just reflashed a ROM with appeared to "fix" the original voice problem I was having, but I didn't have enough time to test the phone out before it began malfunctioning and vibrating on startup when they send it back to me.

And the fee's and costs to get it to Hong Kong are just not worth it, having to pay the postage back from Hong Kong, plus to receive my HTC in worse condition than it was before I sent it to them.

HTC isn't what it used to be

kidcash

Feb 20, 2008
Hi,

So i tried flashing to an older ROM I was shown to by users on the HTC HD2 forum,

It was 1.48, and It flashed all the way through, so then it didn't let me soft reset after the flash I think, so i took the battery out and put it back in.

After that It didn't do the vibrating, only vibrated once at the HTC Screen but was stuck at that.

Now though I am at SPL 1.42, so any point in trying to put HardSPL on and going to a Custom ROM? I just haven't been able to get any ROM to boot up yet past the HTC Screen.

Trying to reflash with the same ROM again this time it's stuck at 0% All the time.

kidcash

Feb 20, 2008
So i tried updating to HardSPL, It got past the "We hacked it" Screen, but after that when it went to the Progress bar on the HTC HD2, on my computer I got the Error :

Unknown Error
0x1003FF

However now when I go into boot mode, It shows that I have HSPL Installted.

Now that I have HSPL, any tricks or Firmware I can flash to try fix these problems and try get a ROM working/booting?

Last edited:

kidcash

Feb 20, 2008
I'm using Windows 7.

Another update - I put HSPL 2.08 on so I can flash Custom ROMS (well most of them i guess).
So i got Cheetah's ROM, I flashed it on and then after it was on, the HTC SCreen appeard, and then the ROM Version in Red letters at the bottom, but it did not boot up, so I did a reset, and then the HTC Screen comes up and is stuck at it.

UPDATE -- Did battery out / battery in, and It GOT PAST THE HTC SCreen, it displayed the "quietly brilliant" text, then it got into a windows screen, but then the Error

ARM11 FATAL ERROR

flash_os_wm.c line 339

I can't click "OK" on the window either its frozen.

A soft reset brings it to the "HTC" Screen with no more.

Battery out / in brings it to the Same "HTC" Screen but then it turns black for a sec, flashes,
then back to the "HTC" Screen, with no Red letters at the bottom, and it keeps going black,
then vibrate and back to HTC Screen continuously.

Sometimes though it will just be stuck at the "HTC" Screen with no Vibrating, just that screen.

Last edited:

kidcash

Feb 20, 2008
I just tried flashing with the "NRG" ROM, I can't get past the "NRG" bootup screen now, soft reset or battery in/out does not help.

So far have tried 4 different custom ROMS, All give the same problem, stuck at the intro screen after the flash.
Also the installer on the computer doesn't say what my current Image is.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

motoi_bogdan

Sep 8, 2007
hello,

please try the following.
On the back of your phone, the battery cover (metalic) comes over 2 small metal pins. The phone will detect if these 2 pins make an electric contact, aka if the backplate is mounted. Some HTC have either microcontracts or magnetic sensors to prevent a phone to be flashed or to boot with the battery cover missing or improperly attached. This is because without the cover, there is a greater risk to have the battery disconnected or to fall, thus interrupting a reflash process.
Older HTC's would either prevent a bootup in case of missing cover or simply didn't start-up at all. I don't know what's with hd2 but i had one of them with exactly the same problem, and knowing that i checked those small metalic pins. One of them wasn't making a proper contact with the metalic cover, after i fixed that the phone was able to corecty flash a stock rom from the microsd card.

However, i repeat, i don't know if this is really the case with HD2, i may have just been lucky. One more thing, if in the end the phone woun't recover from this, i suspect a nand memory corruption. Kind of like bad sectors on a hard drive. Back some time ago, i only manage to fix a broken device with this problem after doing some welding on the cpu and connecting the board with a pc via jtag interface. Then i could mark the bad sectors as "unavailable" and correctly flash a bootloader.
Sorry for the english as i live in a non english speaking country.

LE. nevermind that, did a hardware check with some equipment, the battery cover issue is not the case with HD2. The problem seems thermal related, - if you cool the phone to 5-6 degrees celsius, the problem should either dissapear or occur less frequently. I suspect the CPU soldering to be crappy in this model, so when the chip heats up the small solder balls (the chip is BGA mounted) either don't make a proper contact due to dilatation in the chip itself or the solder materrial. Aah, i really don't know how to put it in english. However i still have a hd2 with this problem. It's worth disasembling it and trying some fancy soldering with a smd rework station.

Last edited:
Reactions: thedangeroiusd

ersa

Sep 12, 2006
On earth
www.ersa.pl
HD2 vibrations

By me it was HARDWARE problem.
Try to give phone to 5 celsius for few minutes. After try to flash.
By it works, but after doesn't want to power on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

EDIT - Ok I'm just adding this bit to my post to summ up the whole situation from Post 1 until Post 14 in dot points

- HTC HD2, Began randomly freezing to "HTC" screen, when reset, loads "HTC" Screen and vibrates 5-6 times, sometimes let me goto OS, but at one point stopped letting me goto OS, Stuck at "HTC" Screen with the 5-6 Mysterious vibrations.

- I tried to flash a ROM off the HTC HK Website, 1.78 I think, Stuck at 9%, Those 6-7 Vibrations, tried again, same thing stuck at 9% with Vibrations.

- Tried another factory ROM from HTC HK the latest one, Flashed 100% the first time through, but then does not boot, just stuck at "HTC" Screen with vibrating

- Tried to flash same ROM again, begins vibrating and stuck at 9%

- I wanted to try if some custom ROMS worked, flashed HSPL 1.42 on, while flashing HSPL it finished on the device but on computer I got "Unknown Error
    0x1003FF"

- Continued and went on to upgrade my HSPL to 2.08 so I can flash custom ROMS, now I have 2.08 HSPL.

- I tried Artemis Custom Rom for LEO, this one after it finished I think brang me past the "HTC" Screen, it actually said "quietly brilliant" for the first time, and to some Windows config screen where this Error appeared :

ARM11 FATAL ERROR

flash_os_wm.c line 339

- So I tried resetting, and stuck at "HTC" Screen, but No constant vibrating, only 1 vibrate.

- I tried Cheetah ROM, same problem, stuck at "HTC" Screen.

- I tried "NRG" ROM, same problem stuck at "HTC" Screen, well the NRG Screen.

- I tried Kumars ROM, same problem again. stuck at at the bootup screen.

I should mention whenever flashing, on the computer it never tells me what my current Image version is, it just tells me the one i'm flashing to. e.g the "FROM" field is blank. That's it until now.

Also everytime while at the bootup screen, it cycles e.g it will Vibrate, show bootup screen, do nothing, go black... then repeat the bootup screen, vibrate etc etc etc. After ROM is flashed, if I do a soft reset it will just stay at the bootup screen and not do anything at all.
    Hard reset doesn't help either, neither does battery out/in, same thing just stuck at the intro screen with all the ROMS I try.

If anybody knows what the problem could be, please post.

ORIGINAL POST BELOW BEFORE EDIT :
    -------------------------------------------------

A soft reset with the Red button under the battery cover just brings it to the same screen with the same problem.

Taking the battery out and putting back in does not help, same problem.

When I try to put it into the Diagnostic mode (Vol down + Power), and try to flash a ROM onto it,
    It just gives a Error 294, Invalid Vendor, maybe because I was using a ROM that was not Hong Kong, I don't know but I cant try flash again as the device does not respond to anything now (like before but can't even get into boot mode).

So I'm stuck at the moment and can't do anything.

Before this it would sometimes want to start up, and then get stuck sometimes, but now it's constantly not booting up
    and begin stuck at the HTC Screen with 4 vibrates.

Sometimes it even boots upto the "HTC" Screen, and doesn't vibrate at all.

And at the moment I can't even get it into Diagnostic mode, doesn't respond to anything other than the reset button.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

EDIT ----- > Now goes into boot mode, I found out that QUICKLY after reset doing vol- and power gets it into boot mode. But while trying to flash the ROM, on my computer it says NOTHING about the current Image ROM on the PC, Trying to update now, this time it goes into a Progress bar on the HD2, stuck at 9%, and funnily enough at 9% it does the same (Vibrate 4 times) thing. and is stuck at the moment.

Cheers

+1 for this. Most recently, there have been some users reporting multiple vibration patterns (usually 7 times) when turning on the phone. None of them was able to flash any ROM to bring back their HD2.

At least, most of them were able to install an original SPL before sending it to a service center. However, I never read anything about the final outcome.
    hello,

please try the following.
    On the back of your phone, the battery cover (metalic) comes over 2 small metal pins. The phone will detect if these 2 pins make an electric contact, aka if the backplate is mounted. Some HTC have either microcontracts or magnetic sensors to prevent a phone to be flashed or to boot with the battery cover missing or improperly attached. This is because without the cover, there is a greater risk to have the battery disconnected or to fall, thus interrupting a reflash process.
    Older HTC's would either prevent a bootup in case of missing cover or simply didn't start-up at all. I don't know what's with hd2 but i had one of them with exactly the same problem, and knowing that i checked those small metalic pins. One of them wasn't making a proper contact with the metalic cover, after i fixed that the phone was able to corecty flash a stock rom from the microsd card.

However, i repeat, i don't know if this is really the case with HD2, i may have just been lucky. One more thing, if in the end the phone woun't recover from this, i suspect a nand memory corruption. Kind of like bad sectors on a hard drive. Back some time ago, i only manage to fix a broken device with this problem after doing some welding on the cpu and connecting the board with a pc via jtag interface. Then i could mark the bad sectors as "unavailable" and correctly flash a bootloader.
    Sorry for the english as i live in a non english speaking country.

LE. nevermind that, did a hardware check with some equipment, the battery cover issue is not the case with HD2. The problem seems thermal related, - if you cool the phone to 5-6 degrees celsius, the problem should either dissapear or occur less frequently. I suspect the CPU soldering to be crappy in this model, so when the chip heats up the small solder balls (the chip is BGA mounted) either don't make a proper contact due to dilatation in the chip itself or the solder materrial. Aah, i really don't know how to put it in english. However i still have a hd2 with this problem. It's worth disasembling it and trying some fancy soldering with a smd rework station.