[Q]Which linux OS the the best to create custom roms for our phone ?

Search This thread

OxygeenHD

Nov 2, 2012
Hey everyone, everything is in the title. I recently installed Ubuntu 14.04 via VirtualBox, and now i would like to start create some roms, after a long time spent in front of the developement section. Today i would like to see my name in this section, so i need advices about which linux should i get ( if Ubuntu is not the right distribution ) and the tools you use in Linux to make wonderful roms ! :)

Thanks everyone ;)

lionelsuyog

Oct 27, 2013
Kathmandu
Hey everyone, everything is in the title. I recently installed Ubuntu 14.04 via VirtualBox, and now i would like to start create some roms, after a long time spent in front of the developement section. Today i would like to see my name in this section, so i need advices about which linux should i get ( if Ubuntu is not the right distribution ) and the tools you use in Linux to make wonderful roms ! :)

Thanks everyone ;)

Ubuntu/Linux dist is required to build a project from a source code, and it requires a pro to build and debug a project/ROM frm source! To make a simple/normal custom, you may even use Kitchen(in Cygwin for Windows) or even in Linux!
For ur question, Ubuntu is better choice! :)

OxygeenHD

Nov 2, 2012
@lionelsuyog for now, i simply want to build a custom rom basedon stock or CM. not a complete project from souce ( not enough experience ;) )
@-CALIBAN666- Do you have some tuts in mind to help me to start training ? :)

Thanks ;)

TheFixItMan

Jul 8, 2012
London
@lionelsuyog for now, i simply want to build a custom rom basedon stock or CM. not a complete project from souce ( not enough experience ;) )
@-CALIBAN666- Do you have some tuts in mind to help me to start training ? :)

Thanks ;)

if you are not building from source all you need is

apktool
java jdk
android kitchen
cygwin (if using windows)
notepad++
winrar

There are many guides - best you do some searching for example
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1801690

aniket.lamba

Jul 16, 2012
New Delhi
mr-tweaker.github.io
Well theming a custom ROM takes a lot of time and for completing the work on time you obviously gonna need some niggas to help you in your work.Well if you have a good internet connection then you can sync up sources and compile ROMs like Carbon,Pac or AOKP Kitkat for this device since we're getting closer to a stable CM11.There are a lot of guides on how to sync a ROM source code on the computer.Search down the threads and start syncing. ;)