[Q] How to replace Chinese firmware with European one

Search This thread

bluppfisk

Sep 2, 2010
I have bought a SGS2 in China. It comes with Chinese firmware (has English language though) but mostly with Chinese software and without Android Market. So it does not sync with Google, searches go through Baidu, I can't find and install most apps so it's essentially not very fun to use.

I have been trying to exchange the Chinese firmware for European firmware using ODIN.

Sadly, this seems not to work: the flashing always fails, leaving my phone bricked until I reflash the Chinese firmware (which works fine). This Chinese firmware has a different format, i.e. there are no CSC, MODEM and CODE tarballs. Instead there is one single tarbar containing the following files

boot.bin
cache.img
factoryfs.img
hidden.img
modem.bin
param.lfs
Sbl.bin
zImage

I would be terribly grateful if someone could help me make my 500 euro phone useful, or at least I would like someone to tell me why this firmware cannot simply be installed on this phone.

Reactions: it'sup and Mike Orz

alrit

Jul 29, 2007
ownhere --yeah the guy making googlemap mods -- is now making sgs2 rom based on china sgs2 rom

Go get it here :p

bluppfisk

Sep 2, 2010
Thanks, but will this enable the Android market? It doesn't say so in the Chinese translated through Google Translate.. :/

alrit

Jul 29, 2007
umm.. i thought u can read chi ..

It will enable market for sure. Here's 2 captured pics of that rom

It's in Chinese but u may still recognize the market icon @ second line together with some other GG stuffs.

said Non-officially , china version i9100 has some easy-to-brick problem rooting and flashing eu/hk rom, so maybe u should try this ownhere rom.

Attachments

• 110722144123d437cd2c8f54c7.jpg
    110722144123d437cd2c8f54c7.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,894
  • 11072214416b2b353b2ca68cf5.jpg
    11072214416b2b353b2ca68cf5.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,673

bluppfisk

Sep 2, 2010
Thanks! This sounds really promising! Does it support English language still? I'll try as soon as possible!

bluppfisk

Sep 2, 2010
Thanks again. By the way, why is it that Chinese I9100 models have this problem? Is it a different filesystem? How have they managed to block EU firmware from a phone whose hardware ought to be identical?

Does it have anything to do with the processor not being a Tegra2?

bluppfisk

Sep 2, 2010
Oh delicious man! It works! So far at least, I've been able to add a Google account and download apps from the Android market. I'm the happiest person on the planet. 100% fact*

*probably

bluppfisk

Sep 2, 2010
Cool. I've been playing with it for a bit and am quite happy with it.

Some problems still remain, though.

1 The Reader's Hub and Social Hub are gone, not that I care that much

2 The MediaHub still only offers Chinese services, might want YouTube there

3 I don't find a phone software update button in the settings menu anymore (do I manually have to check for updates to this mod? Probably)

4 Adding a Credit Card to Google Market makes it become unresponsive (before I even am allowed to enter a card number). Might work better back in Europe.

5 I am now using a custom rom. I feel more comfortable with stock roms. I don't want to sound ungrateful but would love to know why I cannot simply flash European stock roms and how I could circumvent the barrier.

But a big thanks so far, it actually makes my phone usable and the GPS fix is fast as **** now!

sspslv

Feb 18, 2007
Same as you all : look for a google open rom to flash on chinese I9100

Dear gluppfisk, You are a happy one with this cooked rom, accepted on chinese I9100, but including sone open application (google, market, ...).
But the link in the thread for this rom is now dead.
Is there someobe to reawke such a link ?

screem_3

Mar 6, 2006
Shanghai
dear gluppfisk, you are a happy one with this cooked rom, accepted on chinese i9100, but including sone open application (google, market, ...).
But the link in the thread for this rom is now dead.
Is there someobe to reawke such a link ?

+1111111 please

and a little words about how u did it, google translator makes me crazy

LiFE1688

May 7, 2010
This Chinese firmware has a different format, i.e. there are no CSC, MODEM and CODE tarballs. Instead there is one single tarbar containing the following files

boot.bin
cache.img
factoryfs.img
hidden.img
modem.bin
param.lfs
Sbl.bin
zImage
All official stock rom has only 1 tar file, containing the same files as above.

0blivious

Mar 7, 2007
Cool. I've been playing with it for a bit and am quite happy with it.

Some problems still remain, though.

1 The Reader's Hub and Social Hub are gone, not that I care that much

2 The MediaHub still only offers Chinese services, might want YouTube there

3 I don't find a phone software update button in the settings menu anymore (do I manually have to check for updates to this mod? Probably)

4 Adding a Credit Card to Google Market makes it become unresponsive (before I even am allowed to enter a card number). Might work better back in Europe.

5 I am now using a custom rom. I feel more comfortable with stock roms. I don't want to sound ungrateful but would love to know why I cannot simply flash European stock roms and how I could circumvent the barrier.

But a big thanks so far, it actually makes my phone usable and the GPS fix is fast as **** now!

I am in the same boat as you! Well, actually my brother is, he got a chinese SII from a friend, and I bought myself a european SII a few days ago, he definitly would like to have a regular EU SII :)

So +1 for you, looking for the same things ;)

mr_pause

Sep 5, 2011
Hello there,

I have the same problem as OP, and i'd also like to know a way to flash this chinese SGSII with an european rom/custom rom (such as superfast litening rom).

Thanks !

gmstrollo

Jul 31, 2011
San Diego
Hello there,

I have the same problem as OP, and i'd also like to know a way to flash this chinese SGSII with an european rom/custom rom (such as superfast litening rom).

Thanks !

M.Pause...

I have the same issue. Bought in China, tried to load non-china ROM and soft-bricked my phone. After much research, it seems that the Chinese have locked out a good deal of the functionality from their version of the SGS2 and blocked the ability to download a non-chinese ROM to the phone. I keep hoping someone will figure out a way around this--like to repartition the phone and add a different boot loader... or something like that.

In the meantime, your best bet is to go to onwhere's website: http://bbs.gfan.com/maintain.html?20110906. This person apparently doesn't like that the chinese have them locked out of google marketplace. They have a hacked ROM that you can load into the phone and get most of your needed functionality. It's not great, but it's better than nothing. FYI, onwhere is chinese and so it the page. You'll need to go through google translate or the like. I also have some screen shots earlier in this thread that have some of the download links translated. You might want to check them out.

If you manage to figure out a different way around this, would you mind shooting me a message on this forum?

Thanks, G.

mr_pause

Sep 5, 2011
M.Pause...

I have the same issue. Bought in China, tried to load non-china ROM and soft-bricked my phone. After much research, it seems that the Chinese have locked out a good deal of the functionality from their version of the SGS2 and blocked the ability to download a non-chinese ROM to the phone. I keep hoping someone will figure out a way around this--like to repartition the phone and add a different boot loader... or something like that.

In the meantime, your best bet is to go to onwhere's website: [strange forum rules]. This person apparently doesn't like that the chinese have them locked out of google marketplace. They have a hacked ROM that you can load into the phone and get most of your needed functionality. It's not great, but it's better than nothing. FYI, onwhere is chinese and so it the page. You'll need to go through google translate or the like. I also have some screen shots earlier in this thread that have some of the download links translated. You might want to check them out.

If you manage to figure out a different way around this, would you mind shooting me a message on this forum?

Thanks, G.

Yup, my phone is already flashed with onwhere's rom.

It's somewhat unstable and doing strange things sometimes, but it works.

If i find something i'll post here.

darkneill

Aug 20, 2011
i got my sgs2 in malaysia it support chinese and english. my rom version is xwkf1 2.3.3(singapore ver) , think of flashing the lastest 2.3.4 which is europe rom . does europe lastest rom support chinese ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have bought a SGS2 in China. It comes with Chinese firmware (has English language though) but mostly with Chinese software and without Android Market. So it does not sync with Google, searches go through Baidu, I can't find and install most apps so it's essentially not very fun to use.

I have been trying to exchange the Chinese firmware for European firmware using ODIN.

Sadly, this seems not to work: the flashing always fails, leaving my phone bricked until I reflash the Chinese firmware (which works fine). This Chinese firmware has a different format, i.e. there are no CSC, MODEM and CODE tarballs. Instead there is one single tarbar containing the following files

boot.bin
    cache.img
    factoryfs.img
    hidden.img
    modem.bin
    param.lfs
    Sbl.bin
    zImage

I would be terribly grateful if someone could help me make my 500 euro phone useful, or at least I would like someone to tell me why this firmware cannot simply be installed on this phone.
    yeah every android handset supports english locale I guess.
    like ur china version does.
    Search will help all your questions have been answered .

jje

Sometimes a search is frustrating beyond compare. The JKay mod thread has thousands of posts and a poor install instruction. When I searched for an issue I was having I got over 100 possible posts out of the 3000 in the thread. So at what point are we allowed to just give up and post?

That said, if you took the time to post, why not add just a few keywords to your post that could've put a person in the right direction such as:

"Search in my post will help all your questions..."

or some keyword you know to be relevant

"Search for unicorns will help all your questions...."

I'm new here, and use English as my native language, but all too often a search returns several threads with 100's or even 1000's of posts here in just the Samsung area. Anything to help focus the search is always a help.

And as for "us" being those that have chinese issues, the RTL Arabic crowd is doing a good job taking care of it's needs here as far as I can tell. Sadly the great firewall may be preventing our mainland chinese compatriots (TM) from accessing this site, and perhaps the talented chinese folks aren't coming here due to language barriers as well. But for those chinese readers and writers here who use both worlds please urge the folks on chinese sites to post here, and even help them if language is an issue. We don't need Android LANGUAGE fragmentation too!
    Maybe hope, but not help

It was a while ago, maybe 6 months - B70 ROM?
    But I flashed a near as I could find ROM onto my chinese phone via odin.
    I spent days finding a stock ROM with the same serial numbers, but XX (euro?)
    I rooted and flashed this ROM via odin and it worked. It allowed market - google is blocked in China!!! and only works via hong kong.
    After that it allowed me to play with all of the great ROMs and kernels. Now I have a fully functioning S2 with no trace of Chineseness.

So the message is to keep trying. Find stock ROMs close to your serial number using google and freegate, download and try them out. I remember CF root being useful.

I'm so sorry I did not keep records for you guys! A (chinese) virus wrecked my computer AND backup hard drive.
    One happy thing is that the week it took me to solve the chinese phone problem helped me to understand my phone very well!

Good luck.....
    Dear all,
    For me it works as "lrijasma" advise us.
    i use this firmware until now without any problems. Now I would like to update to ICS firware. The question is: should i use same steps like before?

thanks again lrijasma.

George

Yes exactly the same steps.

Basically what you are doing is skiping from flash the files that fail at odin.

Like cache.img, modem.bin, Etc. Every android device provider lock some files as their wish, i dont know why exactly, but all of this is on the bootloader, i just corrobored this with my current device a Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300.

My device as my old one was bought at china, so the model is i9300_chn_chn and i couldn´t directly flash anything that wasn´t chinese coded. I follow the steps that i talk about earlier and it worked, but now i have found a much better way.

The way that i found consist in replacing the device bootloader with a generic international one, but it can´t be done directly as the bootloader is locked for any kind of flash, the method was originally used to recover a bootloader dead device, but i used to change my working device from chinese locked bootloader to international free one.

Here is the fórum where this was discussed.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=39734124