[Add-on] [Beta] [Aroma] [Privacy] Guardian Project Installer V1.0

Search This thread
X

x942

Guardian Project Installer V1.0 Beta
Many thanks to the people at www.guardianproject.info for their hard work!

What is this?

This is a flashable zip (tested with CWM) that installs most of the apps from the Guardian Project. The guardian project is a non-profit organization that is building apps and tools to help users and whistle-blowers alike to stay safe and anonymous in this day and age. This is a faster way to setup a secure/private device. I also encourage enabling Full Disk Encryption in ICS/JB settings. Quote from the site:

How Guardian Helps

While we think that a secure, privacy-enhanced mobile phone is a good thing for just about anybody going about their daily lives, we like to also consider the extreme cases, where this technology might change the course of someones life.

Source: https://guardianproject.info/home/use-cases/

What apps are installed?

• Orbot: TOR (Anonymous Web Browsing) for Android
  • Gibberbot: Secure Encrypted IM using Google Talk
  • ObscuraCam: Secure Camera that obscures faces
  • InTheClear: Data Wipe (“Poison Pill”) Wipes phone on command
  • Android Privacy Guard: Public Key Crypto (GPG) for Android
  • TextSecure: *****REMOVED**** See HERE for details.
  • DroidWall: Firewall that uses IPTables to prevent data leaks and Network attacks.
  • FDroid: Alternative to Google Playstore. All apps are FOSS.
  • ORweb: Privacy oriented web browser that works automatically with Orbot (TOR). [ADDED: 08//19/2012]
  • OSTel: Encrypted VOIP phone calls using ZRTP. The app is based on CSipSimple For more info go here to create a free acount go here. NOTE: This service & app are in public beta status. [ADDED: 08/20/2012]
  • K-9 Mail: Open Source E-mail app that works with APG for sending encrypted E-mails. Has lots of powerful options. [ADDED: 08/21/2012]
  • CaCertMan: Manage the list of Certificate Authorities on you phone. Let's you revoke any CA's you distrust. ROOT Needed. [ADDED: 08/21/2012]
  • CryptFS Password Manager - Allows you to have one password for encryption and a shorter one for lockscreen. see here. [ADDED: 09/08/2012]
  • NoteCipher - Allows you to store messages in a AES256bit Encrypted SQL database. [ADDED: 09/12/2012]
  • GnuPG - GPG encryption for android (Uses busybox) [ADDED: 05/19/2013]

How To

1. Download the zip bellow
  2. Copy the zip to the sdcard
  3. Boot into recovery
  4. flash the zip from the sdcard
  5. Reboot
  6. Done

WARNINGS

Please note: THIS IS BETA. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS BRICKS YOUR DEVICE. FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK.

With that said I have successfully used this multiple (10) times on three different devices. Please report any bugs and issues.

Known Working Roms

• CM9 Official
  • CM10 JellyBro
  • CM10 EuroSkank AOSP
  • Rasbean
  • Tested on CM9 Motorola Atrix 4G
  • androidme aosp light v.1.1
  • Codename Android JellyBean 3.3.0
  • HTC One S Stock Rooted.
  • Nexus S GSM CM9
  • Galaxy S
  • Galaxy Note N7000 CM9 Stable

Known Bugs
  • Not working on Nexus 7 - Can someone test If it installs fine with TWRP on any device?

Comming soon & Downloads

More apps will be added along the way. I will also be trying to get aroma set up so you can select what apps are installed.

All of these apps are released Open Source under their respective licences. All Credit goes to the developers of the apps. I have only bundled them into an easily installable zip file.

UPDATE: Thanks to Volk the installer is now Aroma! You can now select what apps you want installed and if you want to uninstall the old ones.

Mirrors:

Latest Versions:

GPI Version 0.9.1
Signature

New: Updated all binaries, added GnuPG

Changes: Minor bug fixes. added GnuPG.

Please check your download against the checksum on the page
. For security please check the signature against the public key . To check the signature place both the ZIP and .sig file in the same folder and use any PGP/GPG program to import the public key and verify the signature. PM me for some suggested programs if you are unsure.

Depreciated - No Longer Available.:

Old versions have been pulled due to possible security issues.

Please mirror this download if you can. Also Any feedback is greatly appreciated. If this helps you please press thanks!

I also highly recomend you read this presentation to see what inspired me to do this.

Last edited:

Thatgrass

Jan 14, 2012
XDA-Developers
Test+Mirror

Awesome! Now booting again....

Mirror: http://www.4shared.com/zip/vDiK6V4K/Guardian_Project_Installer_Alp.html

Edit!: Tested and working on Jellybro cm10 :)

Last edited:
X

x942

Thanks all for the feedback! I will be updating the addon in a bit and adding on some more stuff. :good:

3r0k

Jun 17, 2010
Google Pixel 6a
This is absolutely fantastic, I was wondering when something like this would be put together! The guardians are absolutely right when they say the mobile platform is the least secure, anything that can be done to change this is beyond welcomed.

X

x942

New versions are up!!

EDIT: I also want to reccomend FuguMod Kernel nikademus did a great job incorporating PaX and Stack Protector into his kernel to increase security.

Last edited:
X

x942

UPDATED: New versions are up. Added in Ostel for encrypt Voice calls. Also tested new devices (posted in OP).

X

x942

Thanks for providing this package, works great, would love to see more added to this or maybe a complete privacy/secure ROM.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'm glad you like it! I am currently working on a version of CM10 that will incorporate these features/apps as well as a more secure kernel. I should (hopefully) have Alpha builds out this week.

groksteady

Feb 6, 2012
Shanghai
hey, thanks for this. I got here from the Guardian Project mailing list, and I just posted this feedback there.

The full zip installs fine on a Samsung Galaxy S i9000, running CM10 nightly 20120820 and Semaphore 2.0.6 kernel. The progress bar didn't go all the way across, so I thought it might've bailed, but it looks all good now.

So far tried I've Orbot and TextSecure, which I assume were reinstalled, and my settings+data remained. Ostel kept my login info, too, but going into settings I get incredible lags (which may be the new CM10, and the funky partitions that the dev/device maintainer used to work around our space limitations and NAND speeds). Also tried ObscuraCam and opened Panic, looks OK. New toys that I've never played with yet.

Before flashing this, though, I tried installing the update zip, in the hopes I'd add Orweb, ObscuraCam, etc., and not lose data+settings with the apps I already had. The flash said it completed (again, despite that the progress bar didn't go all the way across), but when I rebooted, I had no new apps. Then a weird quirk: I opened a data connection and Orbot, and it connected fine, but a check with Firefox Beta said I had no net connection. Checking mail in K9 gave me errors, but Twitter with Tor proxies set loaded fine. According to IP Track, I had no external IP. I turned off Orbot, turned it on again, and then all was working as expected. Strange.

Anyway, thanks; this is a great project. I also want to ask: Any chances of including RedPhone? It's open source now, but unavailable on Play where I am; I think it's limited to only the US. I used Market Unlocker to get it, and will be testing it here soon. Nathan of Guardian Project was saying that outside of the US, it may have push/wake problems. I'll find out soon here, but if it's not too buggy, it'd be great for everyone outside the US.

edit: also, what about adding MD5 checksums, or a GPG signature?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Looks awesome.Tnx dude!
    Fwiw, I've noticed that both Moxie and Guardian Project do seem to rely on Google's Play store for releases, and have seen other sideways comments about F-droid. Same with Max Lv, who makes the SSHTunnel app, which is specifically geared toward users in China. He told me that for security reasons, Play is preferable. I never looked deeper into it, but F-droid is at the least annoying in its infrequent updates.

I don't know enough about Google's communications with accounts, although the Android page I read sounded more or like it uses a VPN. I don't know if that means those connections are not routed through Orbot or my own SSH tunnels, but I assume so.

I'm not trying to be tinfoil-hat alarmist about Google; I just want to understand that process more. Maybe also because I've slowly begun to revise how I wear my tinfoil.

sent from a telephonic device
    the downloads led me to Google docs? how do I download it on my mobile?

Sent from my supercharged tank
    the downloads led me to Google docs? how do I download it on my mobile?

Sent from my supercharged tank

Request the desktop site in the stock browser menu, (See picture for my CM10 example), or I recommend using Firefox as a great browser for mobile downloads.

Regards.
    So, no way to uninstall Guardian Project?

It might just be an issue with the code to remove that app. I don't have time to look at it until tomorrow night though.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium