[Q] Can't turn fingerprint scanner back on after using VPN

Search This thread

PhilBxda

Apr 13, 2014
I was just getting used to the fingerprint scanner after setting up my phone and went to add my VPN connection. It seems there is a bug(feature?) where you can not enable VPN connections while using the fingerprint scanner lock screen. Why it would force you to disable a main selling point of the device to use the VPN connects is beyond me...

Aside from how strange the request was I switched to passcode lockscreen protection and was able to add a VPN connection. However, now I can not seem to turn VPN support OFF or to get the fingerprint scanner back ON. The option is grayed out in my options menu with this message "Turned off by Administrator, encryption policy or credential storage"

Any ideas? As a bonus the VPN connect did not even work! It connects perfectly from my S3, but this S5 seems to hate VPNs?

PhilBxda

Apr 13, 2014
SOLVED!

Can't speak to the built-in vpn settings, but perfectly able to use OpenVPN and fingerprint security without any problems.

I was just going to post an update saying I solved it by switching to OpenVPN. Updated my pfSense router, setup the server and exported the client file to my OpenVPN app.... Worked! :)

However, I still was not able to set the fingerprint lock screen back. It turns out you must delete ALL your VPN profiles(the one I had that didn't work) in the settings menu for the option to become available again. Moral is avoid the built in VPN support like the plague if you can and use OpenVPN,

Reactions: Alimacg

mikecbig

May 25, 2014
Fingerprint and VPN on S5

The answer to the original post is that Android requires a higher level of security to store secure access gateways like VPN's that could grant access to entire business data systems. Samsung rates its finger print sensor as medium. Perhaps medium might even be a step too high especially after it was fooled soon after launch with lifted fingerprints on tape and rubber blocks. Its akin to the facial recognition security option of earlier Android models that was bypassed using printed photos held up in front of the phone.

If you want a VPN in your S5, then you will have to forget fingerprint security and go for the higher level pin or password.
If you have made this mistake and ended up in this forum because your fingerprint option is now disabled, then you will have to delete all of the manual VPN's that you have entered. You then need to reboot your phone and re-check that all VPN are now missing because if you have an updated security profile, it may make the VPN profiles hidden and you will only see them on reboot.

Once the VPN profiles are all fully deleted the fingerprint option will return as a medium security.

I agree with earlier suggestions that if you want the fingerprint to work along with having VPN access, then the best option is to setup an OpenVPN connection. It works fine.

Last edited:

diggory's wardrobe

Jun 3, 2014
Help!

The answer to the original post is that Android requires a higher level of security to store secure access gateways like VPN's that could grant access to entire business data systems. Samsung rates its finger print sensor as medium. Perhaps medium might even be a step too high especially after it was fooled soon after launch with lifted fingerprints on tape and rubber blocks. Its akin to the facial recognition security option of earlier Android models that was bypassed using printed photos held up in front of the phone.

If you want a VPN in your S5, then you will have to forget fingerprint security and go for the higher level pin or password.
If you have made this mistake and ended up in this forum because your fingerprint option is now disabled, then you will have to delete all of the manual VPN's that you have entered. You then need to reboot your phone and re-check that all VPN are now missing because if you have an updated security profile, it may make the VPN profiles hidden and you will only see them on reboot.

Once the VPN profiles are all fully deleted the fingerprint option will return as a medium security.

I agree with earlier suggestions that if you want the fingerprint to work along with having VPN access, then the best option is to setup an OpenVPN connection. It works fine.

I found this post after I installed FoxFi on my Galaxy S5. I've heard that FoxFi creates a VPN, so I thought this fix might work for me. I uninstalled FoxFi and removed FoxFi's admin access then tried a reboot but I'm still not able to use the fingerprint. Do I need to do a hard reboot? Any thoughts?

kenwchan

Oct 6, 2008
Samsung S5 solutions

I'd just like to chime in and thanks to those who suggested the change to OpenVPN. This worked:

1) Deleted current VPN
2) Change screen lock to fingerprint (or whatever you like, I suppose)
3) I changed from PPTP to OpenVPN (I use StrongVPN), downloaded their client app for Android
4) Using their client app, I can now login to VPN using OpenVPN
5) lock screen still functions as normal.

What a pain. So lucky I enabled the Samsung remote before this happened as I got a bug where the phone crashed at the PIN entry screen and I was unable to unlock the phone with the PIN. So, S5 users, do enable "Remote Control" in your settings so you can unlock your phone via internet.

Ken

pageone69

Jun 22, 2014
security certificate

I found this post after I installed FoxFi on my Galaxy S5. I've heard that FoxFi creates a VPN, so I thought this fix might work for me. I uninstalled FoxFi and removed FoxFi's admin access then tried a reboot but I'm still not able to use the fingerprint. Do I need to do a hard reboot? Any thoughts?

If you delete/remove the security credentials it will work again. It took me a while just trying everything to get it to work again but this fixed it. You just have to do that after using VPN.

Vash the Stampede

Jul 9, 2014
Is there any other way to enable the finger print unlock option?

I use StrongVPN too... and I am in China right now. OpenVPN doesn't work well here somehow (confirmed by StrongVPN support staff), and it would disconnect or get no internet access randomly. I was forced to use PPTP for a more stable connection. I have set up a VPN router using the main account (PPTP now, but I am able to change it to openVPN if I want...but then it won't be stable), and I have an addon account (extra $2 per month) and it can only be PPTP (I won't be able to change it to anything else). Right now I have the addon PPTP account set up on my S5.

Basically I can only use PPTP right now. Is there any other way to enable the finger print on screen lock?
Is it a bug or done on purpose by the manufacturer? Will it be fixed in the near future?

Haabet

Jan 15, 2015
similar problem

Hi. I just bought my S5 around new years, after having iPhone for a long time, so im quite new at android devices. My problem is i've done something so that i cannot activate any kind of security except for a password. All others is greyed out :(
Do you know how i can make my security options work again? I dont know what i've done, and i would be sad if i had to reset my whole phone just for that...

Brocheuse

Apr 7, 2015
I was just getting used to the fingerprint scanner after setting up my phone and went to add my VPN connection. It seems there is a bug(feature?) where you can not enable VPN connections while using the fingerprint scanner lock screen. Why it would force you to disable a main selling point of the device to use the VPN connects is beyond me...

Aside from how strange the request was I switched to passcode lockscreen protection and was able to add a VPN connection. However, now I can not seem to turn VPN support OFF or to get the fingerprint scanner back ON. The option is grayed out in my options menu with this message "Turned off by Administrator, encryption policy or credential storage"

Any ideas? As a bonus the VPN connect did not even work! It connects perfectly from my S3, but this S5 seems to hate VPNs?

I have the same issue here, I was able to connect once to the VPN... Let us if you find a solution

I have the same issue here, I was able to connect once to the VPN... Let us if you find a solution

Hi guys,

Let's put this into context for a minute. Android is assuming that if you're using the built-in VPN functionality of the phone, then it's for corporate use/access. As such, the security on the phone needs to be at a maximum in order to avoid a potential security vulnerability if you lose your phone. If you lose your phone, or if it gets stolen, a malicious user may intentionally access your corporate network via the VPN connection and this can result in some serious issues. Therefore, if you're going to use the BUILT-IN VPN, the the phone requires you to change the lock method to one that is considerably more secure than the fingerprint scanner, which has very easy and known work-arounds and much easier to hack than a PIN or password.

If you delete your VPN account from the system settings, then you will be able to re-enable the fingerprint security on your lock screen. Pretty simple.

If you REALLY want to use the fingerprint scanner along with a VPN connection, you can see if the VPN you want to use supports OpenVPN, as that protocol is not supported by the OS natively, and therefore, there are no security restrictions on the phone to use the app. Alternatively, you can try to find a VPN Client app that doesn't rely on the phone's built-in VPN functionality.

Hope that makes sense....

Brocheuse

Apr 7, 2015
Hi guys,

Let's put this into context for a minute. Android is assuming that if you're using the built-in VPN functionality of the phone, then it's for corporate use/access. As such, the security on the phone needs to be at a maximum in order to avoid a potential security vulnerability if you lose your phone. If you lose your phone, or if it gets stolen, a malicious user may intentionally access your corporate network via the VPN connection and this can result in some serious issues. Therefore, if you're going to use the BUILT-IN VPN, the the phone requires you to change the lock method to one that is considerably more secure than the fingerprint scanner, which has very easy and known work-arounds and much easier to hack than a PIN or password.

If you delete your VPN account from the system settings, then you will be able to re-enable the fingerprint security on your lock screen. Pretty simple.

If you REALLY want to use the fingerprint scanner along with a VPN connection, you can see if the VPN you want to use supports OpenVPN, as that protocol is not supported by the OS natively, and therefore, there are no security restrictions on the phone to use the app. Alternatively, you can try to find a VPN Client app that doesn't rely on the phone's built-in VPN functionality.

Hope that makes sense....

Thanks for your explanation and yes it make sense, I have a question, I hope you'll know how to fix it: I installed the VPN on my Samsung s5 tablet and it works fine no issues, did the same thing on my cell phone (s5 also) somehow the cell will work only once, if I delete the VPN and restart over same thing works only once... any ideas?

Thanks for your explanation and yes it make sense, I have a question, I hope you'll know how to fix it: I installed the VPN on my Samsung s5 tablet and it works fine no issues, did the same thing on my cell phone (s5 also) somehow the cell will work only once, if I delete the VPN and restart over same thing works only once... any ideas?

That is strange and I'm not sure. What kind of VPN did you set up? OpenVPN? L2TP/IPSEC? PPTP? I would contact the VPN provider and see if they can help you troubleshoot. Sorry, wish I was of greater help....

adamh128

Dec 10, 2011
I have the same problem, I installed the openVPN connect app which forced me to switch to password on the lock screen. I then uninstalled the app but that still did not restore the fingerprint option. I checked the built-in VPN and there are none. I can't figure out how to restore the fingerprint option. I hope someone can please help me!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SOLVED!

Can't speak to the built-in vpn settings, but perfectly able to use OpenVPN and fingerprint security without any problems.

I was just going to post an update saying I solved it by switching to OpenVPN. Updated my pfSense router, setup the server and exported the client file to my OpenVPN app.... Worked! :)

However, I still was not able to set the fingerprint lock screen back. It turns out you must delete ALL your VPN profiles(the one I had that didn't work) in the settings menu for the option to become available again. Moral is avoid the built in VPN support like the plague if you can and use OpenVPN,