KitKat for Arc S ?

Search This thread

rajumvgr

Nov 6, 2013
Can KitKat be ported onto our Arc S phones ????
Sent from my LT18a using xda app-developers app

popthosegaskets

Jun 25, 2012
Singapore
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
OnePlus 8T

That was just a discussion thread... and now some people think that just because it can run on 512MB RAM they can install it on their phones straight away... If kitkat ever comes to the Arc/S it will take a while for it to become stable enough for daily use. Also, the drivers we use are old since there have been no updates. If you guys want kitkat running successfully on this device, these old drivers need to be integrated with the new software, which is very tedious. Mike is already going to drown under 4.2 and 4.3, adding another OS to the pile will place him under more stress.

Don't assume the work we developers do is simple, just because an update came out that meets the system specifications means it can run just by downloading and installing it in recovery. If you ever tried to create a ROM by yourself, you'll find out that a lot of work needs to be done, along with many user complains and flooding your development thread with useless posts. That's how messed up the user community is nowadays. Jader's UHD ROM thread is one example of how users interact with the developer.

僕のLT18iから送られてきた

Last edited:
Reactions: xda_hawk

17th_angel

Feb 13, 2013
Im sorry, but which part of perhaps its a "definitely yes"?
I just point to that thread so he and anybody with the same question can see that it really going to depends on how google code it and how hard could be for the developers to bring that code to our devices...

I never declared that it will be a fact, but you have to admit that the 512 MB its a nice hope.

popthosegaskets

Jun 25, 2012
Singapore
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
OnePlus 8T
Im sorry, but which part of perhaps its a "definitely yes"?
I just point to that thread so he and anybody with the same question can see that it really going to depends on how google code it and how hard could be for the developers to bring that code to our devices...

I never declared that it will be a fact, but you have to admit that the 512 MB its a nice hope.

That reply was for that thread itself since some prick was like "hey Kitkat runs on 512MB devices"... I wasn't even referring to you in the first place.

Yes, it is hopeful but not promising, see Mike's reply at the thread itself

僕のLT18iから送られてきた

D

Deleted member 3493119

Yes, it's possible to port Android 4.4 for our device but it all really depends on if there will be any developer / developers who want to spend their time porting 4.4 for our device. Mike have started working on it for our devices, but we will see when or if he releases it or not.
I might see if I'm able to sync the sources, but the main problem on my end is that my PC is really bad and not suited for development.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk

Bread123

Aug 26, 2013
yes it is try to search if you wanna stable blasting fast rom with kitkat teme then flash super jelly bean by harsh with kitkat ui

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

but kitkat based in my option is bet AORP kitkat rom try it

Scayris

Feb 14, 2014
Ljubljana
Just as a suggestion, I'm currently using VanirAOSP and it's pretty good. All I've to say is that right now one should get the vanir_anzu_4.4.2.012814 version, as the latest, vanir_anzu_4.4.2.022314, has a few additional bugs. On the mentioned good version WiFi works, everything is fairly smooth and you're left with enough space to actually install the apps you want, which seems to be an issue on many roms due to Arc's small internal memory.. Only real problem's the default browser lagging terribly, but I hear that's a general issue? Anyway, for anyone interested in kitkat on Arc it's definitely worth checking out.

Here's the thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2627083

AORP is stable for me.... you might wanna check :)

I m using AORP[anzu] from 2 weeks and it works awesome.:cowboy:

Just as a suggestion, I'm currently using VanirAOSP and it's pretty good. All I've to say is that right now one should get the vanir_anzu_4.4.2.012814 version, as the latest, vanir_anzu_4.4.2.022314, has a few additional bugs. On the mentioned good version WiFi works, everything is fairly smooth and you're left with enough space to actually install the apps you want, which seems to be an issue on many roms due to Arc's small internal memory.. Only real problem's the default browser lagging terribly, but I hear that's a general issue? Anyway, for anyone interested in kitkat on Arc it's definitely worth checking out.

Here's the thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2627083

I will try VanirAOSP (out of curiosity), thanks for suggesting. ;)

If you want a good KK experiance I recomend carbon Rom just serach or let me doin' it for you her you are sir http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2575425
Tried it. Really cool ROM, some minor bugs but its OK :)

mhadjih

Feb 24, 2014
KitKat 4.4.2 AOKP and ART-runtime enabled

It is very well possible to use KitKat 4.4.2 on our phones. Even with ART-runtime enabled. I personally use AOKP (Android Open Kang Project)'s KitKat version, and I managed to get ART-runtime enabled and running very fast and smooth.

You can find the ROM here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2624761

Of course you have to first install the kernel, which is given in the zip-file. Just unzip the kernel and Flashboot it to your device. Then go into CWM-recovery and go to Mounts and Storage and activate USB-mount. Locate the full AOKP-zip and place it on your SD-Card, as wel as the minimal Gapps for 4.4.2., found here : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2012857. Unmount the USB, and install the zip as usual through the menu for it. Then, after installing AOKP, install the minimal Gapps.

Reboot and let your device sit for a while, or play around with it a bit....

I proceeded with installing Mounts2SD from playstore, while before having prepared my class10 8 Gb sdcard into two partitions. One partition FAT32, size about 6Gb and one partition EXT2 size around 2 Gb. Move everything to SD-card through the menu of Mounts2sd, except Dalvik-cache. NEVER MOVE THIS!!! (Don't move dalvik-cache to SD...)

Reboot at least two times to let the script (Mounts2sd) settle in... After this I installed Pimp-my-Rom from playstore and activated the nav-bar and some other scripts to improve the experience. Also I odexed (after finishing all my modifications) the phone through this : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2527732

I then went to CWM-recovery through a reboot and made a full backup, which I advice you to do also, in case something goes horribly wrong.

Reboot to AOKP. As you can see, this ROM is awesome-fast beyond belief already. I had benchmarks in AnTuTu of around 6000, with NoFrills-CPU at 1401 Mhz. But, it can be faster if you choose to run ART-runtime instead of Dalvik. Be sure to remove all unwanted programs before switching to ART-runtime, because it'll take a lot of space in cache, and every program you don't need (system-programs that is) will reserve more space for ART.

Only and ONLY if your system is running smoothly on Dalvik, I advise you to go to your Phone-settings, (under Settings of course) and tap on 'Build-number' like 10 times. You will now become a developer. An extra menu will appear under Settings, where you can choose to run the ART-runtime library. Choose this and you will reboot.

Wait, wait and wait a long time for reboot. After initial booting everything has to be updated to ART-compiled apps. This will take a long time per app. Just wait and don't disturb your phone. If you get to the phone after booting, then you probably succeeded... You can check under the same settings-tab under Developer-options. If ART is selected, then you have it.

I strongly advice in case of mishaps regarding loss of network etc. to just reboot. Wait, wait and eventually you'll get there. Make a backup as soon as you have a stable working system under CWM-recovery.

I have been running stable ART under this AOKP-rom for about two weeks now and I'm really happy with it. Not only is the phone lightning-fast (6417 under AnTuTu, with CPU on my Arc LT15i on 1401 Mhz), but smooth as hell! Batterytime is amazing. This is as fast as it's gonna get! (I must have tried almost every ROM out there from stock 4.0.1 to 4.4.2...)

Hope you'll try and may it work for you too...!

(BTW my ultimate thanks to the guys from Open Kang Project!)

P.S. stock-browser is lagging... as usual under 4.4, but I use Dolphin and it is fast! Some toggles require reboot to function again. Some programs might fail you due to not being ready for ART. Facebook is a mess for instance, sometimes quitting unresponsice etc. Otherwise I have encountered no problems whatsoever.

Last edited:

DuckyMomo

Jan 16, 2014
Bursa
Tried ION kernel and stuff and I can say that apart of one or two really minor bug the KK experience is just awesome and will be better within some months i suggest you to follow all the "Xperia Overlay" thing a I hope it gonna be amazing:D:laugh:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

That was just a discussion thread... and now some people think that just because it can run on 512MB RAM they can install it on their phones straight away... If kitkat ever comes to the Arc/S it will take a while for it to become stable enough for daily use. Also, the drivers we use are old since there have been no updates. If you guys want kitkat running successfully on this device, these old drivers need to be integrated with the new software, which is very tedious. Mike is already going to drown under 4.2 and 4.3, adding another OS to the pile will place him under more stress.

Don't assume the work we developers do is simple, just because an update came out that meets the system specifications means it can run just by downloading and installing it in recovery. If you ever tried to create a ROM by yourself, you'll find out that a lot of work needs to be done, along with many user complains and flooding your development thread with useless posts. That's how messed up the user community is nowadays. Jader's UHD ROM thread is one example of how users interact with the developer.

僕のLT18iから送られてきた