[Q] Sudden Battery Drain on stock phone

Search This thread

knoka

Jun 8, 2012
Around Denver
So as it says, I am having a sudden issue with my battery. For the first few weeks after I bought this phone, I was sitting at nearly 2 full days before charging again. The past few weeks.. it has been decreasing steadily. From 2 full days to having to charge my phone every 1.5 days.. and now down to 1 day. This morning I wake up and my battery is being ridiculous. This was an overnight charge. I had only touched my phone last night to text and that was all.

I do not have have my phone rooted, and I would love to be able to fix the issue without rooting if possible! I really dislike losing all my game progresses when having to flash or factory reset anything. :)

As you can see in the attachment below.. I HAD great battery life. I played games frequently throughout the day.. used the phone quite often to text, facebook, chat on hangouts and still had 2 full days before needing to charge again.

Yes I've disabled a LOT of bloatware. I keep my location and bluetooth off at all times. I turned the WIFI from "Always on" to "Only when charging".I keep my screen brightness turned down and set to automatic. I turned off Google Search. I DO have motion gestures turned on, ONLY for the palm swipe screen capture.

I tried searching the forums for the answer and could not find one that directly applies to my issue. Most of them were short battery lives out of the box or shortened with the update in April.

I would appreciate any suggestions that you may have!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-15-17-46-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-15-17-46-11.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot_2014-05-21-09-05-52.PNG
    Screenshot_2014-05-21-09-05-52.PNG
    233.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

undergrad

Nov 19, 2012
Toronto
I'm in the exact same boat. When I went to bed last night my phone was at 27% and my device was dead when I woke up this morning.
I'm debating doing a factory reset on my phone, but that's a last resort.

jawmail

Nov 14, 2011
I've had weird battery issues like this. Like 90% battery when I go to bed then the phone's off (2%) when I wake up. I've switched off the wi-fi toggles that we all know about but I also deleted and disabled most Samsung apps (except SHealth) and deleted the Samsung app store. I also got rid of all apps that I rarely or never use. This got rid of my battery issues and now have excellent battery life.

knoka

Jun 8, 2012
Around Denver
Yeah.. I have completely gutted out all the useless apps to me. That included all of Samsung's Apps and all but one T-mobile app. I'm in your boat Undergrad, I really don't want to factory reset if I don't need to!

I went into my Google Play and changed the updating from always to let me decide and turned off Google Search.
My battery still isn't where it used to be but that helped a lot. I'm now at 1d 2hours at 26%. The screen and Android System are neck and neck on my usage right now..

I wonder what app(s) is/are doing this.. maybe a recent update to them is just chunking away at our batteries.

Thank guys for letting me know I'm not alone!