[Q] Using my Galaxy S5 G900F in Canada?

Search This thread

gbyrne2011

Jan 23, 2011
Tucson
Hi all, I'm wondering if I may trouble you with a quick question.

I recently bought a Galaxy S5 (Galaxy S5 G900F) in the hopes to have it future proof as I move to Canada next year and would like to have a solid phone for about two - three years. I'm based in Ireland at the moment and wondering can the phone be used in Canada without issue?

I was looking at a phone company (Koodo) who offer great rates and once I inputted my IMEI it stated my phone wouldn't work on their network.

Surely the S5 would work on any network throughout the globe? Last year my Note 3 worked perfectly in America and it was an international edition also.

Is this a hardware issue (radios) or software (were a simple flash of a different rom could fix)?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
Surely the S5 would work on any network throughout the globe?

Okay, let me ask you this question. If the S5 should work around the world.. why does Samsung have a dozen S5 variants?

Figured it out yet? Ironically the hardware is capable of supporting all GSM and LTE bands world wide. But Samsung endeavors to sell their phones for higher prices in more affluent countries. And carriers don't want to make it easy for you to jump ship and sign your phone up to another network. So they have artificial restrictions in the firmware and other measures e.g. region locking, SIM locks, to limit what you can do. They have to allow enough compatibility that you could usually roam when traveling. But not complete compatibility or you might buy a cheaper S5 from another country. Or change carriers willy nilly.

Yup, great system.

And so it is for your phone. It will work most of the time in Canada. But it isn't 100% compatible and you may find that it can't operate on the necessary bands in fringe areas or for niche carriers.

Most of the bands are the same between the S5 900F (yours) and the S5 900W8 (Canada)
The differences, I believe are:

2G: same for both
3G: Most bands are the same. But you have B8(900) in place of Canadian band B4(1700 aka AWS)
4G: Most bands are the same. But you have B5(850), B20(800) instead of Canadian bands B4(1700 aka AWS), B17(700)

In the case of Fido, their site says:

Fido said:
Things to Know

Your device must be compatible with the Fido network, which uses GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz and LTE at 2100 MHz and 2600 MHz. If you are unsure of how to check the frequencies your device supports, try the manufacturer's official website and search for the specifications for your particular phone/smartphone model;

If your device is currently locked, it needs to be unlocked by the carrier you bought it from;

It appears to me that your phone supports all of the Fido bands. And most, but not all of the bands on other Canadian carriers. I don't believe that your phone will work at all on niche carriers Wind or Mobilicity.

Last edited:
Reactions: gbyrne2011

gbyrne2011

Jan 23, 2011
Tucson
Okay, let me ask you this question. If the S5 should work around the world.. why does Samsung have a dozen S5 variants?

Figured it out yet? Ironically the hardware is capable of supporting all GSM and LTE bands world wide. But Samsung endeavors to sell their phones for higher prices in more affluent countries. And carriers don't want to make it easy for you to jump ship and sign your phone up to another network. So they have artificial restrictions in the firmware and other measures e.g. region locking, SIM locks, to limit what you can do. They have to allow enough compatibility that you could usually roam when traveling. But not complete compatibility or you might buy a cheaper S5 from another country. Or change carriers willy nilly.

Yup, great system.

And so it is for your phone. It will work most of the time in Canada. But it isn't 100% compatible and you may find that it can't operate on the necessary bands in fringe areas or for niche carriers.

Most of the bands are the same between the S5 900F (yours) and the S5 900W8 (Canada)

3G: Most bands are the same. But you have B8(900) in place of Canadian band B4(1700 aka AWS)
4G: Most bands are the same. But you have B5(850), B20(800) instead of Canadian bands B4(1700 aka AWS), B17(700)

It appears to me that your phone supports all of the Fido bands. And most, but not all of the bands on other Canadian carriers. I don't believe that your phone will work at all on niche carriers Wind or Mobilicity.

Thank you very much for your reply. I figured it would be something to do with the radio.. Will check the bands for the network Koodoo, if it falls in ok and I can find a firmware to flash which hopefully should do the trick. Hell I might even just sell before I go, make it easier. :)

Cheers

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
Will check the bands for the network Koodoo

Koodo is a secondary brand of Telus.
They use 3G 850 CLR/1900 PCS
And 4G /LTE 1700/2100 (and possibly 700 in the future)

You are missing their 1700 LTE band, sometimes referred to as AWS. So you will have to find out how extensively they use that band and whether it is a sole frequency in any areas.

Reactions: gbyrne2011

gbyrne2011

Jan 23, 2011
Tucson

You are missing their 1700 LTE band, sometimes referred to as AWS. So you will have to find out how extensively they use that band and whether it is a sole frequency in any areas.

Thanks very much for all your help fffft, it's much appreciated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Surely the S5 would work on any network throughout the globe?

Yup, great system.

Fido said:
    Things to Know

Your device must be compatible with the Fido network, which uses GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz and LTE at 2100 MHz and 2600 MHz. If you are unsure of how to check the frequencies your device supports, try the manufacturer's official website and search for the specifications for your particular phone/smartphone model;

If your device is currently locked, it needs to be unlocked by the carrier you bought it from;

Will check the bands for the network Koodoo