"Otterbox Commuter" Mod with a Kickstand

Search This thread

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
janeilarlegui.deviantart.com
Otterbox offers some of the best protection cases for devices. It rarely incorporates kickstands as part of the main casing. This shows you how I managed to splice in a thin kickstand from another casing. This saves you from carrying those stands so you can watch videos hands-free.

The "Otherbox Commuter" case you see here is an exact $5 replica done by a company called Swisstech in one of their kiosk stores here in Metro Manila. The original Otterbox Commuter cost $70 retail here.

uploadfromtaptalk1361149357207.jpg

The TPU case with the kick stand actually cost more at about $9!

uploadfromtaptalk1361149564354.jpg

You can exact the process with the original Commuter case if you want to do this.

uploadfromtaptalk1361149627628.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1361149669654.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1361149715603.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1361149771802.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1361149816883.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1361149909191.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1361149983685.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1361150060974.jpg

This will give you peace of mind for accidental drops but giving you that kickstand function but still as thin.

Here's the video link of the finished case:

http://youtu.be/fvOowm--P08

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using xda app-developers app

Reactions: mrcrptguy

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013

h3ck

Oct 7, 2007
Otizzle
It must suck to live somewhere where you have to do so much to not get robbed.

I've been to the Philippines twice and love it. It's not that it's so dangerous that you will get robbed blindly down the street, it's that items of value are less common, so you could get swiped in the most inopportune times. In the US or other locations, it's more common to see expensive gadgets. There is a lot of poverty in the Philippines and in regions of the world like that, it's very common.

It doesn't suck because you grow up knowing that's the way things are there.

ANYWAY, back on topic. Is there any way to get a Swiss-Tech case online? Was looking and it seems there is no way to get them. I like the price and the difference in look from the "Otterbox".

Reactions: gbert15

dan_tm

Jan 2, 2013
I'm all for making mods where necessary, but a similar case with a stand already built in seems easier.

This one is $7. My wife and I have them in different colors. They're great.

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
I've been to the Philippines twice and love it. It's not that it's so dangerous that you will get robbed blindly down the street, it's that items of value are less common, so you could get swiped in the most inopportune times. In the US or other locations, it's more common to see expensive gadgets. There is a lot of poverty in the Philippines and in regions of the world like that, it's very common.

ANYWAY, back on topic. Is there any way to get a Swiss-Tech case online? Was looking and it seems there is no way to get them. I like the price and the difference in look from the "Otterbox".

There's none, as I mentioned. There are even different color variants of the silicone part of this like pink, blue, red, yellow and white.

SG Note II rooted with stock 4.1.1

Dec 4, 2011
Id just go for a otterbox defender case. Super tough case plus the clip on the holsters locks open if you want to become a stand.. on the down side this case does make it a bit bulky but still protects it extremely well. .

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
Id just go for a otterbox defender case. Super tough case plus the clip on the holsters locks open if you want to become a stand.. on the down side this case does make it a bit bulky but still protects it extremely well. .

Yes, there are reasons why is choose the Commuter over the Defender. One thing is the difficulty of changing the battery and taking out the micro SD card. I'd not be using that holster that much either. Where would I store that? I'm trying hard to conceal the Note, not actually show it off on my waist.

Dec 4, 2011
Not saying you wanna show it off. I only use it because I work on construct ion sites and it offers superior protection ......

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
Not saying you wanna show it off. I only use it because I work on construct ion sites and it offers superior protection ......

I can understand needing the Defender in a construction site. I'm an architect.

The reason for me is to conceal the Note II:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2124770

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It must be a joy to live in a place without crime.

Otterbox offers some of the best protection cases for devices. It rarely incorporates kickstands as part of the main casing. This shows you how I managed to splice in a thin kickstand from another casing. This saves you from carrying those stands so you can watch videos hands-free.

The "Otherbox Commuter" case you see here is an exact $5 replica done by a company called Swisstech in one of their kiosk stores here in Metro Manila. The original Otterbox Commuter cost $70 retail here.

uploadfromtaptalk1361149357207.jpg

The TPU case with the kick stand actually cost more at about $9!

uploadfromtaptalk1361149564354.jpg

You can exact the process with the original Commuter case if you want to do this.

uploadfromtaptalk1361149627628.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361149669654.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361149715603.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361149771802.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361149816883.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361149909191.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361149983685.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361150060974.jpg

This will give you peace of mind for accidental drops but giving you that kickstand function but still as thin.

Here's the video link of the finished case:

http://youtu.be/fvOowm--P08

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using xda app-developers app